NROLFW vs. 5x5?

Options
k_wat4264
k_wat4264 Posts: 25 Member
I am in stage 4 of nrolfw and I feel like I only enjoyed/ saw progress in stage one which was a lot simpler and focused on all body moves like squats and deadlifts. For that reason I'm thinking of switching to 5x5. But I dont wNt to give up on the plan I'm doing without giving it a real chance... It's just 6 months is a lot of time If I'm not loving it. Looking for your experience and opinions.

Replies

• nami_cat
    Options
    So I'm not sure how much my advice will help, because you got much further into NROLFW than I did... I did 5x5 for about 6 months before I started NROLFW. I got through half of stage one before the holidays struck, and I ended up taking December off from lifting (ugh, I know). Now I decided to switch back to 5x5 to work up to "reasonable" weights for myself since I took such a long break.

Anyway, the reason I switched from 5x5 to NROLFW is because I got a little bored with 5x5 after a while, honestly. And I really enjoyed the beginning of Stage 1 of NROLFW because it provided some variety. If you're in stage 4 already and still aren't enjoying it, personally I don't see anything wrong with switching to 5x5. You could always try out 5x5 for a couple weeks and if you don't like it, switch back to NROLFW. Ultimately, you should do whatever makes you want to go the gym the most and whatever you have the most fun/see the most progress with. :smile: I hope you figure out what is best for you!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried NROLFW even though I have the book and am in the group on here, at least not yet. I'm considering trying it next but I'm a bit hesitant because I'm uncertain on some of the exercises it recommends, plus I have to find where they keep some of that stuff at the gym even. But I'm going to be stalling at some point on SL and really want to try and branch out to learn more lifts so I might give it a go in a few weeks (though I might also do some extra lifts along with what it recommends just cause I wanna). It can be hard to stick with a program for months upon months and not want to branch out to something else, no matter which one you're doing at the time. I guess depends on goals and what you think will work best for you.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I also haven't tried NROLFW -- seemed overly complicated to me -- but I tend to think that life is too short to spend the time and energy doing a program you don't like. You could always switch to 5x5, but keep some of your favorite pieces of NR as accessories.

Good luck!
    Courtney
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    tbh, i don't think i even got as far as stage four of new rules when i was trying to quick-fast read through it in the local bookstore to figure out whether it would work for me.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I did NROLFW before switching to SL 5x5.

While I enjoyed NROLFW, I felt like I stalled out rather quickly. (I did only complete stage 1 and stage 2 though.) I had the same feelings as you: wasn't really sure I was going to love it. I was honestly not enjoying the workouts when I got done with Stage 2.

If you want to stick with a program to see it through, stick with NROLFW. You can always bail out in 2 months if you don't really enjoy it.

If I were in your position though, I would probably just go ahead and switch to SL 5x5. It sounds like you enjoy the lifts more, plus you feel like you're spinning your wheels with NROLFW. It doesn't make you a quitter, it just means you're wise enough to know when your time/effort is probably not being spent in the best way possible.

ETA: after switching from NROLFW to SL 5x5, I instantly started seeing strength gains. The progressive lifting really helped push me past where NROLFW was taking me.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    A big reason I switched from NR to SL is the reason you stated above: that stage one does traditional deadlifts and squats then the later stages eliminate them or do variations. I think these lifts should continue to be a part of a lifting program throughout and variations can be done in addition.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I made it through stage 2 of NR before switching to SL. NR was getting too complicated and taking too long, plus I thought the big movements were more fun.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    NROL is also helpful for programming in accessories. I have NROL Supercharged which categorizes the lifts into muscle groups and movements which easily enables me to pick out areas I want to work on in addition to 5x5.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I completed NROLFW all the way through. I loved it! It told me exactly what to do each and every time and I managed to learn a ton of different variations which I use as accessories to my Stronglifts workouts. by far and away I have seen the most strength gains and body change since doing SLs, but I do not regret doing NROL for one second. I learnt so much from that programme!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    My experience with NROLFW was exactly the same as xcalygrl!

I actually did Stage 1 multiple times (every time I stopped and re-started lifting with a year or so in between, haha). The latest time I made it through Stage 1 and Stage 2. I started Stage 3 and just got frustrated with all the different moves. I like being confident in my form, and I wasn't confident knowing the dozens of variations that the book presented.

I switched to 5x5 (which I had done once before, a year or two ago) and I'm pretty pleased with the choice. I can focus on form, and I like the rules for adding weight. It's a good fit for me right now.

You can always give it a go and go back to NROLFW if you're not loving it. Or vice versa - stick with NROLFW until you're really sure you want to move on! :)