PCOS and TTC

Options
fbmandy55
fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
I was diagnosed with PCOS about 4 years ago, when my son was 3 years old. He happened after the first "unsafe" practice so my doctor has always felt like I would not struggle with a second. This is my first time TRYING to get pregnant.

I got married last fall and went off BC pill the second week of October. Since then my periods have been regular, to the day. The were pretty regular before my diagnosis, at least every month so this was a good thing. Two weeks ago I started spotting in the middle of my cycle. It was about 7 days post-ovulation so I got excited thinking may it was implantation. It got heavier and ended after a couple days. Today I am currently 4 days late but have had two negative pregnancy tests. I've had lots of other symptom from mood swings, tender breasts, nausea, headache and food aversions, but those could be PMS or hormone related so I don't know.

Did I maybe have an early period? That would be unusual for me but that's PCOS. Any other suggestions???

I know it's only been a couple months of trying. My doctor did tell us not to mess around and if it didn't happen after a few months, to not wait and come and see him about possible treatment. I just don't know how many months we should try first.

Replies

• mrsleescott
    mrsleescott Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A common side effect of PCOS is not ovulating. If you are having a cycle, you can get ovulation tests over the counter and check your ovulation. I would get the tests and test your ovulation after your next cycle. Day 1 is the first day of your cycle and you should test your ovulation days 11-19. (If you ovulate, that is when you want to have sex). If you are ovulating, I would try for a couple more months before treatments. If you still aren't expecting, talk to your doctor.

If you are not ovulating, there is no reason to keep trying by yourself. If you aren't ovulating, talk to your doctor about Clomid or Femara. These are oral medications to help with ovulating and fertility. There are options before the scary ones like injections and IVF.

They also have lots of over the counter supplements that help before going for prescriptions. If you have a facebook, find the page "Infertility Support Group". They will have lots of suggestions, some of which may help you right now anyway. :) Good luck!

-Kimberli
    Fellow PCOS Sufferer :)