Options
apesigrn
apesigrn Posts: 4 Member
Hi everyone I've been using M.F.P. off and on for awhile more consistently over the last month. I was diagnosed with P.C.O.S when I was 14 I've always struggled with weight and conceiving. We are t.t.c. our 2nd child and having much more difficulty. It only took 4 months of metformin but I was 40 pounds lighter. We have done almost a year of clomid/Femara with no success. Trying to avoid ovarian drilling which my doc says is the best next step. Need to get this weight off and need support to do so. Feel free to add me as a friend and any advice is welcomed.

Replies

• tsthomas03
    tsthomas03 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too… I'll friend you.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into Inositol and/or Vitex. Both can help with fertility and help PCOS in general. Inositol also improves egg quality, which helps decrease the chance of miscarriage.

Both are available over the counter and is available in some health stores, though I get my Inositol online from Amazon.

Odds are good, though, that your doctor is not familiar with either of them, so you'll have to become an active participant in your treatment and it'd probably be a good idea to bring some information about them with you to your next appointment to work with them about trying either or both first.

Also, I'm hesitant to believe that ovarian drilling is really the "best next step." You might want to see about getting a second opinion, or just in general see if you can find other things that aren't so invasive. Get your hormones checked if you haven't recently, and look into things that would improve their balance. The Inositol and Vitex are a good place to start, but they're not the only things, either. You may need something a little more targeted, like progesterone supplementation. I encourage you to peruse the previous posts on this forum and see what others have had success with.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Also, since Metformin helped the first time around (or now, I didn't understand clearly above), that implies that you might be insulin resistant. If this is the case, and you have verified blood work, (insulin numbers are completely different and separate from blood sugar numbers - though they do party together sometimes) it sounds like you might have an easier time dropping some of your weight by considering a LCHF (Low Carb High Fat ...and moderate protein) way of eating (WOE)/new lifestyle (there is a fabulous group here for support of that). It could potentially help with the other items, too, but it would be in conjunction with what Dragonwolf said above - not in place of it! Good luck.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Vitex and Inositol are not supposed to be taken with fertility meds. So while I fully agree with Dragonwolf about reasearching and asking about them, (they are amazing and help a WHOLE lot) make sure you talk to your doctor about them before you take any fertiity meds.
  • apesigrn
    apesigrn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have not heard of Vitrex or inositol before, I will have to do some research on those. My blood work is actually fine blood sugars/A1C, cholesterol, TSH they are all normal which is the most frustrating part.
    I struggle with the low carbs, but have been trying really hard as I know this will help if insulin resistant. Of course then I struggle with getting all the calories I do need. I've also been focusing on getting in 30+ minutes of moderate activity and working on increasing daily steps. I just need to not get distracted ;)