So frustrated right now

Options
trinity9058
trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
So I've been having this abdominal pain on the upper right hand side. It's this burning, stabbing, constant for six weeks pain that actually wakes me up in the middle of the night even though I take three different kind of sleep pills. I decide I can't take it anymore and go to the walk-in clinic in the town where I live. They feel around a bit and take some labs and tell me nothing is wrong, talk to your pcp if you want more tests, it probably has something to do with your gastric sleeve surgery.

So I see my pcp the next week and she thinks it's a lupus flare and puts me on a week's worth of steroids and some topical medicine to see if that helps. Nope, sure doesn't so I email her to let her know. She emails me back and says call your surgeon, it has to do with your gastric sleeve surgery. I don't think it does because I'm eight months out, everything has always been fine, labs are great, no leaks, no fever, no reason to think that it has anything to do with my sleeve surgery except that it is within six inches of my actual stomach.

So this morning, I decide that I really can't take it anymore and I decide to go to the ER. The ER doc, who doesn't like me because he used to be a clinic doc at the hospital I work at and I used to do his billing that he was always screwing up, tells me that the ER is only for people who are dying and that I should be seen by my pcp. :o I just stared at him so he decided to run some blood work and do A CHEST X-RAY and then he's off work so I get a new doc who says call your surgeon, it has to do with your gastric sleeve surgery and there is nothing else that we can do for you here. :'(

So I go downstairs to my office and call my surgeon....finally. And guess what? She says go to the emergency room, this has nothing to do with your gastric sleeve!!! WTH am I supposed to do now?

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I hurt soooo bad and obviously no one wants to deal with me, they're all just trying to fob it off on someone else. Before my surgery, anything that was wrong with me medically was because I was fat. Now after my surgery, everything that is wrong with me is because of the surgery. This is really starting to effect my life. It's making it hard for me to sit at my desk, I'm in a terrible mood all of the time because it hurts so bad and I can't sleep. I'm getting pretty close to the end of my rope. Any ideas? Thanks for letting me rant a bit.

Replies

• trinity9058
    Options
    I forgot to mention, I don't have a gallbladder so it's not that. Thanks!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    You tell your surgeon to call your PCP and figure out which one is going to help you... If needed, make appointments at both offices for the same time and day and show up at one and conference in the other. That is not right... and I agree - 8 months out, its unlikely related to your sleeve. Might be a muscle issue, but they need to look into that.
  • mfpdevotee
    Options
    What aylajane said!! Hang in there, be strong and fight for yourself.. No one cares more about you than you. That ER doc sounds like a tool, can you go to anybody else within your network?
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    What about a kidney stone?
    My husband had 1 although his pain was more in the lower vs yours being in the higher :neutral_face:
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Do you have the ability to go to a different hospital? You should not be living with that pain.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    After surgery there is a rare thing that can happen called adhesions which are growing tissues in the surgical area. The exact cause is unknown but do have an effect. Think of them like strings or threads pulling on your insides attaching one part to another.

As a retired nurse I'm not qualified to diagnose your problem. So take it for what it's worth.

Randy
  • trinity9058
    Options
    Okay, so my surgeon finally got everyone to listen up and they did an ultrasound yesterday as well as some labs and they found that I have severe ascites as well as a strep infection of the heart. Right now I am waiting to get a ct done so they can find out where the fluid coming from. I am so ready for this to be over with. If no reasob can be found, I will be doing a paracentesis to remove the fluid
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    WOW those can be serous issues you also need to see a cardiologist strep can damage heart valves and that is nothing to play with.

Randy RN
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Okay, so my surgeon finally got everyone to listen up and they did an ultrasound yesterday as well as some labs and they found that I have severe ascites as well as a strep infection of the heart. Right now I am waiting to get a ct done so they can find out where the fluid coming from. I am so ready for this to be over with. If no reasob can be found, I will be doing a paracentesis to remove the fluid

Oh my! I hope that ER doc feels like a tool. More importantly I am glad you are diagnosed so you can get better. Take care !
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    That's awful, but Im glad to hear that you Finally got someone to listen up!
  • mfpdevotee
    Options
    So glad you got them to listen....it makes me crazy to hear about patients not being heard!
    Now you can focus and get the help you need!
  • trinity9058
    Options
    We did the paracentesis last night at about 6:30 and there was about nine lbs of fluid removed. The radiologist said there's still more that needs to be removed but first we need to find out what it is and see if we can get it out without putting another huge needle in my belly. This whole thing is crazy. I feel like it went from 0 to 60 in seconds. I'm on antibiotics for the strep and an echo is ordered, it just has to be scheduled so I'm waiting to hear about that. All of the fluid that was drawn off has been sent to the big lab in Portland so I'm waiting to hear about that too. I feel so much better though. I can breath now. People really take for granted the ability to take a full breath.
  • funfatfriend
    funfatfriend Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Prayers for you!