A tired topic but questions about hair loss...

Options
krouse83
krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
Hello! I am 6 months post op and very happy with my decision to get the sleeve. I have lost 71 pounds since the start of this journey and with dedication and hard work I hope the weight will continue to come off.

I'm sure there have been questions regarding hair loss posted on here but I did a generic search and didn't find what I was looking for. I started to lose my hair about 2 months ago. It is literally handfuls of hair that come out in the shower and right after the shower. I was expecting the hair loss, but not this much. I had very fine hair but alot of it. Now its just fine and I can start to see where its thinning on my head.

I am averaging about 80 grams of protein a day and also just bought some biotin in hopes of it making my hair stronger and grow. I also cut about a foot of hair off to take some of the weight off of it, but its still coming out. I am also washing my hair less, using dry shampoo, and not using heating tools or blow dryers. Is there any other suggestions to slow down the hair loss? When should this phase end?

I was also told that during my sleeve surgery they found out that I had issues with my heart (literally found out as I was on the operating table for the sleeve.) So right after the sleeve surgery, I had to have a Pace Maker put in for my heart. The surgeon stated that having two major surgeries back to back would affect my hair loss since my body went through so much in less than a few days. Will this make the hair loss stage last longer?

Thanks for any information or suggestions you may be able to offer!

Replies

• shortypage1123
    shortypage1123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is what I have just started using for my hair loss. I also take the biotin.
  • renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago, I did Medifast and lost alot of weight. At the 5 month mark, I started losing a lot of hair. So much it was coming out in large, long pieces in the shower. Clogging the shower drain etc. My dr told me it was due to low carb/calories and quick weight loss. She suggested I supplement with biotin. I took it and it did nothing to stop my hair loss. I only saw it stop when I began eating more calories and upped my carbs.

I was worried I would experience the same issues after being sleeved and while I would rather be thin than bald, I was determined to find something to stop the hair loss.

I found these vitamins while researching on WLS boards - Journey Hair Balance capsules.

https://shop.bariatriceating.com/Journey-HAIR-BALANCE-CAPSULES--Nutrient-Boost-for-Hair-Nails-120_p_160.html

I have been taking them since a few weeks after surgery and I have not lost any hair this time, despite losing 106 lbs. I'm not sure what the secret ingredient is but I highly recommend them. My hair is in the best shape of it's life :)

• ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hair loss is common with WLS the good news is that it will grow back in time, after the fast weight loss. I realize this news is not comforting now when it's falling out by the hand full.
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I can't give any insight into the hair loss related to the dual procedures, but I can tell you that the hair shedding will eventually stop. Biotin will help it grow back strong and healthy, and may help your eyelashes grow as well (mine have never looked better). But just a word of warning - biotin will make ALL the hair on your body grow. So if you've ever had any issues with facial hair, it will affect that as well.

My hair shedding started full force around about 3 months post-op. I'm almost at 10 months post-op now and it has slowed to just about my baseline now. I'm no longer pulling out handfuls of hair when I shampoo. I also have a crown of tiny baby hairs that stick out now. :)

Although my calories have naturally increased a bit as I've been able to eat more, I don't think you have to eat more carbs to get the hair loss to stop. I've been under 30-40g total carbs, and usually net around 15-20 carbs, the entire post-op period. Telogen effluvium is the technical term for the shedding - if you google it, you'll find that the only "cure" is time.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I also have fine hair, but had a lot of it. I thinned several years ago during what my doctor referred to as "an severely stressfull time". I won't go into details of what the stress was, but my docotr said the thinning then was caused by the unusually high stress level for a prolonged period. Stress hormones basicly killed off some of my hair. It never came back. Then after the WLS I lost more. Biotin helped slow and then stop the loss and I've had some regrowth. But it's probably never going to be as thick as it was. Remember, it's not like this for everyone, so try various products. You might find something that works for you. Me? I'm going to try that Redkin stuff Shortypage posted here. Can't hurt you know? And if that doesn't work I'm going to try ac7nj's suggestion.
  • imboswell
    imboswell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My PA suggested I also take a Zinc supplement. She said that along with the Biotin will stop the hair loss in about 2 weeks. I am on my second week and have noticed a significant decrease in hair loss. Hopefully by next week it will be very minimal.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have heard, but not tried myself, the shampoo Nioxin will help with hair loss.
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Nioxin will help a little for thinning hair by taking DHT off your scalp. But it will not regrow lost hair like Rogain. Here is a decent article about hair loss after weight loss. http://www.obesityaction.org/educational-resources/resource-articles-2/weight-loss-surgery/weight-loss-surgery-nutrition-and-hair-loss
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I started taking biotin 10,000 mcg capsules and I am a little over four months now and no unusual hair loss. Crossing my fingers it stays that way but I started taking the supplement around two months post-op.
  • amylhatch5
    amylhatch5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am losing hair by the brush full every other day as well. I have taken Biotin since post op, and I haven't noticed any difference. Hoping it doesn't thin out to the point of see through spots. :(
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. I am going to look into the Zinc supplement. I will also think about that Redken shampoo someone recommended.

Before surgery the only thing I liked about myself physically was my hair. Now I'm losing it and its really affecting me. I am also getting married in a few months and worried about what I will do for the ceremony. All of the information is much appreciated! Thank you!!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Previously, another lady posted that she got hair inserts/extensions for the period she was losing hair. If your hair gets to the point where you aren't comfortable for your wedding, you might want to consider that.
  • SkinnyDevi
    SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you Krouse83, My hair is one of the few things I really really love right now and I'm concerned about the hairloss post surgery too. I don't know if you'd be interested in this but I saw a couple VSGers on YouTube who used Secret Extensions and had good good things to say about it. I looked it up and the reviews are pretty good plus it's pretty affordable.
  • Antlerdancer
    Antlerdancer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I, too, have been suffering the hair loss. I'm 9 months out, though, and the "extra" shedding seems to have stopped (I usually have a ton of hair and typically lose a lot anyway). My hair is all crazy now: wispy ends and TONS of weedy growth all over my hairline and sides. So funny. It drives me nuts but according to my very outspoken "work husband," it doesn't look bad. Was really contemplating a "big chop" but decided to just keep letting it grow as I am dying to get my luscious locks back. I absolutely relate to feeling like the hair was my one feminine quality.
    I take biotin but only to make me feel like I'm doing something. I also bought Aveda's Invati system but I am pretty lax about using it. Agree - the only thing that truly will help is time. It'll grow back.