So hungry

Options
janet0513
janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
The past few days I have been feeling like I have less energy and feeling really hungry. Yesterday after working out during lunch break I went back to work and felt like my blood sugar was low so I had an extra snack. I have been working out pretty hard. I know that my dietician has said not to worry about calories but now I am adding extra snacks. She did tell me I could have an extra protein drink if I was working out hard. I will be 6 weeks out on Monday. My question is to those who work out a lot. How many calories are you eating and how much protein and how far out are you? I am now doing 3 meals and 3 snacks and still will feel hungry. I don't know if my head is telling me I need to eat but it sure feels like I am truly hungry. I am still on puree.

Replies

• shortypage1123
    shortypage1123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    are you getting in enough water? If I feel hungry and I have had protein I make sure I have gotten in enough water. They told us when we are exercising we need to add extra protein.
  • janet0513
    Options
    I do get lots of water. I drink a min of 8 glasses a day but it is usually closer to 11. How much protein are you getting when you exercise?
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    You might very well be having head hunger. I didn't feel actual hunger till almost a year out. I exercise a lot, and my surgeon recommends 80-100 grams of protein a day for me, and sometimes I get more. Definitely take the advice of your dietician and add an extra protein drink if needed, but if you need more clarification, don't hesitate to contact your dietician or surgeon as much as you need to!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry and low energy, you either need to exercise less or eat more.

If the MD does not want you to eat more, then your only choice is to (1) obey her order and end up exercising less, or (2) ignore her order and eat more. So, you have to pick what you want to do.

At 6 weeks out, it is probably more important to mind the diet than it is to exercise a great deal. Studies show that exercise, while generally very good for you, really does not take off the weight... dieting does.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am coming up to 4 months out, eating 900-1000 calories and trying to stay fairly active. During the winter, most of my activity comes from practicing with the 8th grade basketball team I coach, but I am also sprinkling in some gym time. I am a big guy but have not really had too much of a hunger problem, although I certainly give myself a break if I feel at all light headed on days where I have been exercising.

I aim for 100g protein, but haven't been hitting that goal the last couple of weeks.

Rob
  • janet0513
    Options
    Thank you. I think I am going to try to get my protein closer to the 100mg mark consistently and see how that goes. I go back to the dietician in 3 weeks. I will call her if this doesn't help.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

Studies show that exercise, while generally very good for you, really does not take off the weight... dieting does.

While this might be true, I think a lot of studies apply to people who lose weight in the more traditional ways. WLS patients have different sets of issues and rules and requirements, etc., so the best thing is to follow the guidelines that are set by your surgeon and his team. For example, my surgeon suggests doing one hour of exercise at least 5 times a week. Someone else's surgeon might not. Maybe he suggests it for overall health and not just weight loss, but overall health is my goal.

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    Studies show that exercise, while generally very good for you, really does not take off the weight... dieting does.

While this might be true, I think a lot of studies apply to people who lose weight in the more traditional ways. WLS patients have different sets of issues and rules and requirements, etc., so the best thing is to follow the guidelines that are set by your surgeon and his team. For example, my surgeon suggests doing one hour of exercise at least 5 times a week. Someone else's surgeon might not. Maybe he suggests it for overall health and not just weight loss, but overall health is my goal.

I like the quote that "you can't outrun your fork", that 80% of weight loss comes from the input side of the equation. I agree with that completely. For WLS folks, the input is limited for the honeymoon period, and my main concern is the use the muscles to hopefully reduce the amount of muscle loss during the process.

I have switched my gym time from primarily cardio to more weights. I don't feel like I need too many more burned calories, but when my body comes looking for things to use to satisfy the calorie deficit, I want my muscles to say: "leave us alone! He used us yesterday and is likely to want to do it again. Go eat those fat cells!"

I amuse myself with imagined body part conversations all the time!

Rob
  • kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am 9 months out and my calories are between 900-1,000 per day. The exercise guidelines I was given were simply to make it a priority. I workout anywhere from 3-5 days per week anywhere from 30mins-1:30hrs depending on the day. Exercise is not strictly important for weightloss but your overall health. And absolutely 80% of it is what you put in but it's also about balance with diet/exercise. Exercise like this surgery is another tool in our arsenal to use. Developing good exercise habits now will make it easier over time to keep yourself motivated and keep going. Not judging...just saying how I feel. I wish everyone on this journey the best.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    FOr many post WLS patients, the only symptom of acid reflux is hunger. Many surgeons require you to take an acid reducer for a few months after surgery.

Pick some up (omeprazole is a good one to start with) and take it regularly for a few days (call your doctor for amount to take or if he recommends a different kind). I bet you will find your hunger not as bad.

Of course, working out requires energy... food=calories=energy... so you may need to slow down for a bit and work up to it more gradually, or just accept you will need to eat more. But give the acid reducers a try! This is a very common thing for sleeve patients at your stage.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Acid reflux is a good answer here it will make you feel hungry and light headed. Also exercise and building muscles consumes protein thus adding more is needed. Our diet has us focused on the protein for a good reason, we loose muscle mass and fat together. Having enough protein helps the body hold on to muscle better. So your NUT needs to be included on your exercise plan to adjust your diet most likely adding more protein. One last comment is we don't want to over do with the exercise and deplete our available nutrients. Do consult your Dr and get a balanced plan to work with.

Randy RN
  • janet0513
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    FOr many post WLS patients, the only symptom of acid reflux is hunger. Many surgeons require you to take an acid reducer for a few months after surgery.

Pick some up (omeprazole is a good one to start with) and take it regularly for a few days (call your doctor for amount to take or if he recommends a different kind). I bet you will find your hunger not as bad.

My doctor had ordered 2 weeks of Zantac. Someone else mentioned this to me and I noticed the prescription does have a refill so I am going to start with that. If I don't see a difference, I will try the omeprazole. Honestly, I am not happy with the dietician at the surgeon's office. She seems to follow the booklet with out interpreting it or being able to make changes to adapt it for different situations. I feel like my questions and concerns are not answered. She is very young, probably just out of school without a lot of experience. I have been working out 6days a week. 3 are strictly cardio and 3 are a cardio/weight lifting/strength training combo. I just got a new fitbit last week and each day it has been giving me over 1000 exercise calories burned and putting me in negative net calories. I have also found that since coming back to work, I am back to not sleeping well. I am going to try some melatonin as well.