Protein Powder

nutmeg156
nutmeg156 Posts: 4 Member
It's time to buy new protein powder and I'm wondering what you all have read about which brand and protein source is best?

Replies

• sullivan60192
    sullivan60192 Posts: 2 Member
    I like the optimum nutrition performance whey protein powder. I am not sure if it's the best one but it is a good one at least. I just bought some off amazon and it's not too expensive either! I usually get either the chocolate or vanilla shake. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MVWJNC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • sksheilak
    sksheilak Posts: 5 Member
    I like that one too..I have the chocolate one with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1/2 of a banana and whirl it around the Ninja..it's excellent
  • nutmeg156
    nutmeg156 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks! I bought the GNC version of the same thing. So far the smoothies I've made with it are delicious!
  • Hi Meg- this is Victoria :) I mostly use Jay Robb Whey Isolate Protein. You get 25 G protein in a scoop. Sometimes I mix it w Nutribiotic Rice Protein Powder just to cut the sweetness or the expense. I go between that and Garden of Life RAW, but JRWI isn't grainy and has more protein for the punch. I get it on Pharmaca for 30% off.
  • I would question why you want to use a protein powder. Unless you have a unique health situation, it is generally better to get your nutrients from real food.
  • ktlips101
    ktlips101 Posts: 28 Member
    Check out the following link about protein shakes and when it's appropriate to use them:

http://5050fitnessnutrition.com/uncategorized/protein-shakes-after-a-workout/

Yes, you're right Amanda. However, right after a workout, your body is in an extremely catabolic state. It can be difficult to obtain enough protein in the critical window during which your body is heavily reliant. Ingesting other foods or food groups, such as fat, for example, can actually delay protein absorption and uptake by the muscles in need of repair. A liquid protein drink can actually be a natural protein source, if you're using a good quality protein isolate, free from chemicals and additives. In general, liquids are digested much more readily and the nutrients are able to be processed and utilized when they are needed most.

Even if you really simplify your post-workout meal and have something very plain, like chicken, your body still has to digest and break down the protein source to its main components, the building blocks or amino acids that are essential for repair. Complete protein sources will include all essential amino acids, whereas a non-complete source (veggies, most nuts, legumes) will not contain the full profile. There are many that aren't produced naturally in the body and we need to ensure that we're taking in enough to assume normal energy production, and to reverse the physiological breakdown that would otherwise take place.
  • mollykienzler913
    mollykienzler913 Posts: 18 Member
    For a "green" protein smoothie I like the vanilla hemp powder. It's not too pricey from Trader joes!
  • I use an unflavored whey isolate but it has 0 carbs, should I be taking something that has carbs post workout?
  • ktlips101
    ktlips101 Posts: 28 Member
    Yes, Darren. You should eat carbs with a high glycemic index post-workout to recover your glycogen stores quickly. Bananas, grapes, sweet potatoes, fruit smoothies, and crisped rice cereal are all examples of foods with a high glycemic index. It's great that you're replenishing your protein, as mentioned in the article posted above, but returning glycogen stores to normal levels is also important.

I should mention that you should not eat high glycemic index foods pre-workout. That banana is going to spike your sugar mid-workout, and you will quickly crash from working off that readily available energy. Stick to apples, oatmeal, and whole-grain toast (comlex carbs) pre-workout, as well as a small amount of protein to carry you through.
  • Awesome. That's for the info.
  • Thanks Katie, that's helpful. I was always told " work for you carbs" i.e. after exercise.
  • mollykienzler913
    mollykienzler913 Posts: 18 Member
    OK so I know I'm a bit late to the party with this response, but I'm wondering: are protein shakes/protein-rich snacks or meals essential post ANY work out? Or just workouts heavy on muscle and strength building? For example, if I just worked out on an elliptical for an hour, is having a post workout meal high in protein essential as well?? I guess I'm just confused behind what constitutes a real "workout" and when we need protein/carbs and why. Thanks!
  • justinsgym
    justinsgym Posts: 30 Member
    No, I wouldn't worry about it Molly. The goal of a post workout drink/meal is to preserve muscle and to aid in recovery from anaerobic exercise. There may be some cases (marathon training or longer duration activity) in which fuel becomes necessary either during or immediately after. If you're working out less than 90 minutes and it's strictly cardio, I would just be sure to eat your next meal/snack within a couple of hours.

Spinning or Spin & Strength, however, can be anaerobic and can deplete the lower leg muscles to a greater extent. If you're in a 45 minute spin class with heavy climbs or intervals, HIIT Ride, or Spin & Strength, 15-20 grams of protein post-workout wouldn't be a bad idea.