Board Games

Options
elixile
elixile Posts: 80 Member
Anybody else out there enjoy some board gaming? One of my housemates is making us all converts :D Personal faves of recent times:

- Pandemic: co-op game, beat the viral spreads across the globe. Expansion packs include one in which you become the virus. Ahahaha.
- Tokaido: create the best journey along the Tokaido road (Kyoto to Edo) possible and gain more points than the other players doing it. I always come last but it's no hardship!
- Munchkin: RPing lite, but still helluva fun! There's an Adventure Time version too which I would love to play.

Replies

• TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I like board games. The only problem is none of Mt friends really do. They will play a few, but they hate learning new ones so I keep buying stuff that looks cool and they never want to try. Haha. I've pretty much given up on all but the few digital versions of board games until I can ffind some people that enjoy them as much as I do.
  • elixile
    Options
    Baaaah, heathens.

I love learning new games personally - I've been dubbed the rule sponge. Not convinced that's a particularly flattering thing to be called but still...

Quite lucky really, housemates/ex-housemates enjoy them too. Most of us are meeting up on a houseboat to play Cards Against Humanity and Munchkin at the weekend :p
  • jwedebro
    Options
    elixile wrote: »
    Baaaah, heathens.

I love learning new games personally - I've been dubbed the rule sponge. Not convinced that's a particularly flattering thing to be called but still...

Quite lucky really, housemates/ex-housemates enjoy them too. Most of us are meeting up on a houseboat to play Cards Against Humanity and Munchkin at the weekend :p

Love both of those! We just played Munchkin at my birthday party! Unfortunately it dragged on too long, probably because the Munchkinomicon was in play as well as 4 sets, which was ok at 10 players but when we dwindled down to 4 as people had to leave for the night it kind of turned into the game that could never end as we kept sacrificing levels to get the book/spells.

As for boardgames, love Risk. Lately we got Betrayal at the House on the Hill and I'd highly recommend it as well (it's one of those build-the-map as you go type things, and with so many different ways the end game can play out it stays fresh every time)
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    elixile wrote: »
    Baaaah, heathens.

CAH is one of the few I can actively get them to play. Avalon is another i can get going. Then sometimes Blockus, dominion, and the penny arcade deck builder, but those are pretty rare. Almost anything else is out of the question. I think I scared them off by trying a "learn by doing" game of Game of Thrones, which took us like 6 hours to finish. I had a blast, maybe they didnt.
  • caddir
    caddir Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My son is a huge board gamer and social and each time he visits he brings a range of games. This Christmas it was cards against humanity and ticket to ride that we played; in fact we played Ttr for hours on end. I can't wait for him to coto again just to play it again!
  • elixile
    Options
    CAH is one of the few I can actively get them to play. Avalon is another i can get going. Then sometimes Blockus, dominion, and the penny arcade deck builder, but those are pretty rare. Almost anything else is out of the question. I think I scared them off by trying a "learn by doing" game of Game of Thrones, which took us like 6 hours to finish. I had a blast, maybe they didnt.

CAH is definitely a popular intro game - for a certain type of person ;P not really a board game I suppose though. And I know of Avalon and Penny Arcade but not played them - you've given me more things to look into, thanks! :D

Got Discworld recently and will prob try that and 7 Wonders sometime this week.

@jwedebro Betrayal at the House on the Hill looks like a lot of fun! I saw it on Amazon before and was intrigued.

Good to see some fellow fans :flowerforyou:
  • didda1
    didda1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I adore board games.
    Munchkin, Pandemic, Evolution, Dominant Species, Boss Monster, Settlers of Catan, and of course, Scrabble are my favourites.
  • didda1
    didda1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    OH, yes, and of course, CAH lol. Also: Magic the Gathering, but that's more of a collectible card game, not a board game. We have over 20k cards right now, and have it insured as a separate thing on our insurance lol.
  • pwatol
    pwatol Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Oooo.... Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to invite friends over for International Tabletop Day next month (I live alone; if you can't get human housemates to play, imagine how much I can get my two cats to play ;) ), and I've been looking for game ideas that will be family friendly. I've got 3 flavors of Fluxx, of course, and Zombie Dice, both of which are fast and easy for even young players to pick up. CAH probably won't come out until the youngsters are to bed, but Apples To Apples should be fairly safe. And I've been longingly looking at the copy of Munchkin that I bought at Christmas of 2013 and have not yet gotten anyone to play with me. I even made my own game markers for it since it didn't come with any. And there's the traditional standbys like Yahtzee and Sorry on the game shelf as well.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yesterday my husband and I played Through the Ages, Takenoko and Pathfinder.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    caddir wrote: »
    My son is a huge board gamer and social and each time he visits he brings a range of games. This Christmas it was cards against humanity and ticket to ride that we played; in fact we played Ttr for hours on end. I can't wait for him to coto again just to play it again!

The iPad version is really well done, and you can get (in addition to the U.S. game) the 1910 expansion, Europe, Asia and Switzerland.
  • echoslug
    echoslug Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Love board games! I have monthly game nights with some friends and it's always a good time. Plus we end up trying new great games all the time. Some of our recent favorites:

Gloom
    Castle Panic
    Forbidden Island
    Love Letter
    Avalon

And you can't go wrong with Munchkin, Catan or Cards against Humanity.