Form on dreaded Overhead Press

haley183
haley183 Posts: 24 Member
So I just watched this video of Rippetoe teaching the overhead press and the technique is intreaguing. I can't wait to try it to see it will help me get better at doing that dreadful OHP!

The technique is thrust the hips forward while keeping the knees locked and as you bounce back from that hip movement, you push the bar upward. It gets you head out of the way so that's not all awkward and gives you some momentum for lifting the bar. Maybe you all are doing this but it was just a revelation to me! Maybe I'm just slow! :)

Rippetoe Press 2.0 Video

Replies

• LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    I just read the oph chapter of his book and I'm trying out the technique but not sure if I'm doing it right yet...
  • haley183
    haley183 Posts: 24 Member
    Cool! Good luck! I will be trying it out next time I do Workout B. Maybe I'll practice it some tonight with the empty bar after I do Workout A if I'm not too wiped.

I'm not there yet in the book. I'm still in the squat chapter. I'm reading it slow to make sure I take everything in!

I think that video I put the link to is really helpful though. I liked it showing him instruct people and watching it just click with them how the hip movement gives them some momentum.

• EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Saw the video recently too and it helped me move past just bar weight to 60#. Of course now I'm stuck at 60# :\