Should I Try to Be a King Crab?

Options
btsinmd
btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
So .. in 2012 I started running with C25K. In 2013 I ran a virtual half marathon on the first weekend of June and did the Bird in the Hand Half Marathon on the first weekend of September. I also ran a 5k somewhere in there.

I was regularly doing 20-35 miles per week from April to September last year. However after the second half marathon (which was hot, very hot!), I somewhat went off the rails, gained some weight and didn't run quite as much for three months. I did run, but just not as strongly as I had been. Now I'm finding even 4 miles to be tiring, but I've got my diet back under control and am ready to step up my running.

I'm not fast, my best 5K time is 35 minutes. I'm not young. I'm 54. But I was able to run within the time limits of the races.

Would it be too ambitious for me to try to be a King Crab in 2015? http://www.baltimoretenmiler.com/race-information-2/king-crab-challenge-2/
This requires me to run a half marathon on May 3rd, a 10 mile race on June 18th, and then a half marathon on October 17th. It's the first two that I'm worried about. Getting up to speed again and then running again 6 weeks later. Would it be doable, within time, do you think? Assuming I don't get hurt, of course.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look like there is a time cutoff to be eligible but maybe I'm wrong.

I'd find out if there are time cutoffs to be eligible for this thing. And then decide from there.

If there are no time cutoffs, you can run/walk a half and a 10 miler. No one is saying you have to be Speedy Gonzales and do the half in like 1.5 hours.

3 May is like 4.5 months away, plenty of time to get training.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You definitely have time... both before the first half and between the half and the 10 miler.

I think you are right that the biggest challenge is getting ready for the half by May 3rd, but it is doable. You actually have just a bit less than 4 months to ramp up (May 3rd is 15 weeks from yesterday) but most half plans are about 12 weeks. I'd recommend going back to a beginner plan (Hal Higdon Novice 1 is a good choice).

The Higdon plan starts out with 3-4 runs per week for a total of 10-12 miles... are you running enough now that you think you could get up to that level within the next 3 weeks?

If so, it should be very doable. I would say the biggest challenge might be the weather in the next two months... if you have a way to be able to reliably get the runs in for the rest of winter and early spring, I'd say go for it.

It sounds like a great challenge and should be really good motivation.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it! Of course, not all can be PRs, maybe the 10 miler can be just a long run for you? If the first race isn't for another 12 or so weeks, I think it's totally doable :)

Side note: I ran the Baltimore marathon this last October and it's such a great race. If I lived closer, I'd certainly do the Challenge myself. It seems like a fun trio of events!
  • btsinmd
    Options
    Thanks. I think that I will give it a try. My work has a gym with a treadmill. I hate it, but it does make runs doable when the weather is especially nasty. I don't like to run outside when it's both dark and icy. One or the other I can take, but not both. I appreciate the response.
  • AZ0310
    AZ0310 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Give it a try. I've signed up for the maryland double, so two of the same races.
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it and I just started running last April! I am, tentatively, shooting to do the Full at the Baltimore Running Festival as that one holds some real sentimental value to me, but I may rethink that depending on how my training is going...I say go for it! I feel like there is enough time between the races to recover and train...I actually have my plan laid out already and have another 15K Trail race thrown in mid-August so...obviously, I believe it can be done :smile:

Side note...I am also quite slow, but getting faster...I believe BRF has a limit on the Full of 7 hours, but I feel like that's pretty generous...I think if you are doing the Half, you get the same 7 hours...
  • AZ0310
    Options
    I signed up for the Potomac river run full in November. Maybe I'll be ready to try the Baltimore full next year.
  • btsinmd
    Options
    Thanks. Actually the Baltimore Half in the Fall isn't the one I'm worried about. It does give you 5 hours and it's in the Fall. It's the first two. The Frederick Half Marathon, which is the one on May 3rd, has a cut off of 3.5 hours, which I can do, if I'm trained for it. I just have to make sure that I'm trained for it. My training starts in two week, with base training this week and next. I'm hoping for not too much ice this winter. Snow I can run in; ice is trickier. If there's ice I'll need to use the treadmill at work and I'd rather not.

I'll have to look into the Potomac River Run.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    btsinmd wrote: »
    Thanks. Actually the Baltimore Half in the Fall isn't the one I'm worried about. It does give you 5 hours and it's in the Fall. It's the first two. The Frederick Half Marathon, which is the one on May 3rd, has a cut off of 3.5 hours, which I can do, if I'm trained for it. I just have to make sure that I'm trained for it. My training starts in two week, with base training this week and next. I'm hoping for not too much ice this winter. Snow I can run in; ice is trickier. If there's ice I'll need to use the treadmill at work and I'd rather not.

I'll have to look into the Potomac River Run.

With v = x/t where x = 13.1mi and t = 3.5hrs, v= 3.75mph (rounded up).
    I don't know about you but I comfortably walk at an average 4.0mph pace and I've completed 3 Avon Walks where day 2 is 13.1 (except San Fran at 15.2). Even really sore, I finish it in 3.5hrs.

So with run/walk intervals, you should be able to complete the first race under the max time.

I don't understand why one has a max time of 3.5hr and the other is 5hr... Since they're both part of this Crab thing, one would assume they have similar time constraints...
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think the difference is because the Frederick Half is the big event in that race, where the Baltimore Half is running at the same time as a Full, so the street closures are already set up for a longer time period.

Where do you live in Maryland? I am in Northern Harford county and it has been pretty icy...I've had to bite the bullet and do a lot of my running on the treadmill these last couple weeks, but I do try to do my long outside unless it is REALLY bad because I just can't stand to be on the treadmill for that long... Actually, I sort of enjoy the treadmill for speedwork because I can easily monitor and adjust my pace, whereas outside I tend to get caught up in enjoying the run and feel more bogged down by having to constantly be looking at a GPS or timer...just my opinion

• AZ0310
    Options
    I'm in Frederick county. The local running group is starting a half marathon training group targeting the frederick half. We start next week and some of the long runs will be the Saturday training runs that will be on the race site later on. This will be my first time doing anything as part of a group, so I'm looking forward to it.

I can't walk at 4mph, but am pretty confident that I'll be fine on time.

We've had snow and icy sidewalks. I like to run on the C&O towpath on the weekends, and in my neighborhood during the week. I've switched back to the treadmill when it's icy though and that seems to be working out so far. I'm a very slow runner, so a long run on the treadmill takes quite a while. I just started doing some speed work and I like doing that on the treadmill.
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Be a Crab King? of course you can! I was thinking that before I read your post, for such a title anything is possible!

after reading your post I definitely think you should go for it. Best of luck and let us know how you are getting on.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Without a shadow of a doubt you can do this. You've got plenty of time to get ready, it's a distance you've achieved several time before, so you know what to and you know your body is capable and there is ample time between events for recovery.

I think you can feel very confident and it sounds like a great challenge. Enjoy!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    The Baltimore 10 Miler sucks. It's a pain in the *kitten* getting in and out of there, it's hilly as a b1tch and the temperatures are usually pretty high that time of June. I have no desire to ever run that race.

My $.02.
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Be a king - it is worth a sucky 10 miler in the heat to get that title and bag, I love the bag much better than a t shirt.
  • btsinmd
    Options
    Well I'm committed now. Luckily(?) I didn't see Carson's post until after I had signed up. Hopefully I can get through the 10 miler. I can't imagine that it could be worse than the Bird in the Hand was this past year as far as heat and hills. I'm just going to hope for a cool June weekend. You never know.

Yes! I want the bag!

Thanks all!
  • AZ0310
    Options
    Last summer was really nice. Maybe we'll be lucky again. BTW, there are training runs on the frederick half route coming up before the actual race. I don't know how far away you are, but it may be fun to do.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    no real input just wanted you to know I <3 this thread because I also am a Marylander and have though about doing the king crab challenge!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Well I'm committed now. Luckily(?) I didn't see Carson's post until after I had signed up. Hopefully I can get through the 10 miler. I can't imagine that it could be worse than the Bird in the Hand was this past year as far as heat and hills. I'm just going to hope for a cool June weekend. You never know.

Yes! I want the bag!

Thanks all!

I've run BIH. Those are cute little baby hills. :)

• btsinmd
    Options
    CarsonRuns wrote: »

Yes! I want the bag!

Thanks all!

I've run BIH. Those are cute little baby hills. :)

Oh no! Well I guess I better start training for hills!