New to the group - Trying to manage by GF

Options
JackiLean
JackiLean Posts: 62 Member
Hey ladies!

I'm new to this group, but have been with MFP for nearly two years now. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17 and have been struggling to lose at least 20-40 lbs my entire life. Metformin did zilch for me and my doctor took me off after a year of doing absolutely nothing. I was then told to try a gluten free diet. I started reading books like Wheat Belly and saw that insulin resistance can be managed by reducing foods which need insulin to process, mainly carbs!

As much as I want to lose weight and get healthy so that my new husband and I (we got married August 2014), can start TTC in the next few years, it's been hard for me to stick with the GF lifestyle because when I eat gluten, I don't feel as genuinely sick as most intolerant people do. I get sluggish and fuzzy brained, but that's really it.

I'd love to hear from others with PCOS who have tried only diet to manage their condition!

Please feel free to add me. I'd love to be part of a big net of support for all the lovelies out there :)

Jacki

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I use primarily diet to manage it, because Metformin has stopped working (or, at least, the extended release version has).

I eat a primarily grain-free Paleo-based, low carb diet. Like you, I don't get immediate GI issues from eating wheat or gluten.

I have found, however, that I get a general feeling of "blah" and feel sluggish/tired a few hours later most times and have issues with cravings and hunger when grains and carbs creep back in. For a while, I also had issues with eczema that was triggered by gluten. It'd take a couple days of eating at least a serving a day to set in, but then it'd take upwards of a month to clear up.

I also get headaches/migraines from it. These are a bit of a double-whammy. I've come to the conclusion (though haven't had it officially diagnosed, because it's hard as hell to) that I have cluster headaches, which are headaches that come and go in "clusters," and are more easily triggered during "cluster periods." As a result, I've found that carbs in general are a pretty big trigger for them (strike one), and the withdrawal period after eating them regularly for a week or two at a time (even at a serving a day on average) will trigger them. They're nothing to mess around with, either, and require 600-800mg Ibuprofen just to take the edge off.

A lot of the things that I found were affected by my carbohydrate and gluten/grain intake I didn't realize until I'd been off grains and had drastically reduced my carbs for at least a month, and the longer I go, the more I notice issues when I eat something like that again. The brain fuzz and sluggishness suck once you've gotten used to clear thinking and ample energy.
  • ChelleSC
    Options
    I developed a wheat allergy as an adult. I cut out all gluten as a result. Didn't see any weight loss, but I was eating a lot of junk food still. Last fall I started here counting calories, but making sure I was getting more protein, fat and healthy carbs from fruits, veggies and whole grains. The weight started to move very slowly. But, I needed the metformin to really shift it. I went on 1500 mg metformin and the rate of loss picked up. Then I had to stop as I found myself pregnant. In the past I have done low carb, low fat, low calorie, but never gluten free. It seems like no wheat, higher fat, moderate healthy carbs is the key for me. And before getting pregnant last year I had 4 failed rounds of clomid followed by 7 months without a cycle.

I can't go back on metformin while I am nursing as heavily as I am right now. So, it'll be just diet for the next 4-6 months.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So, I did have Celiac testing done, and it came back as no resistance at all to gluten, but is it possible to still have the types of reactions above without being "resistant" or "intolerant" of gluten, per bloodwork? How confusing!?!?

Part of the reason I ask is because if I don't consume a certain about of grain related carbs, I have horrible loose bowels with my Metformin. Fruits (other than strawberries) cause this reaction far far worse than grains. And with no gallbladder, I end up evacuating straight bile sometimes, ending up with pain.

So I struggle badly with trying to be low carb and balancing my Metformin side effects. Anyone else?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    So, I did have Celiac testing done, and it came back as no resistance at all to gluten, but is it possible to still have the types of reactions above without being "resistant" or "intolerant" of gluten, per bloodwork? How confusing!?!?

Part of the reason I ask is because if I don't consume a certain about of grain related carbs, I have horrible loose bowels with my Metformin. Fruits (other than strawberries) cause this reaction far far worse than grains. And with no gallbladder, I end up evacuating straight bile sometimes, ending up with pain.

So I struggle badly with trying to be low carb and balancing my Metformin side effects. Anyone else?

That could be the fiber or fiber and sugar combination. I had that issue while on Metformin, too. Even spinach would end up horribly. It was getting to the point where any amount of carbohydrates from any source would result in...well... let's just say "loose" was on a good day.

If you already stopped consuming gluten, then the test will come back negative, too. That said, "the test" for Celiac only tests one of the immune proteins. If non-Celiac gluten sensitivity triggers different immune proteins (or if there's a different cause for NCGS's symptoms) -- which is what current researchers suggest is happening -- then the test will come back negative.

The test is said to be positive in 98% of people with Celiac and negative in 95% of people without Celiac, but I take issue with that, because of the overall low rate of diagnosis and issues with the diagnostic process. That's 98% of the people currently known to have Celiac, but when it's estimated that only 17% of people (at least in America) are correctly diagnosed, and the other 83% get misdiagnosed and it takes 6-10 years to get properly diagnosed, it leaves one to wonder at the total accuracy of that test.

And that's just for Celiac. NCGS is its own beast, entirely, and research on it is in even more its infancy than research for Celiac. Currently, the only way to diagnose NCGS is a sort of differential pathway, by first ruling out Celiac and bona fide wheat allergy, then doing an elimination-reintroduction trial. If you come back negative for Celiac and wheat allergy, but your symptoms subside on gluten-free and come back when gluten is reintroduced, then you will likely be diagnosed with NCGS.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I did not cut out gluten prior to the testing. I knew that part! And I'd have to look to see the blood test, but I know we did not do elimination...
  • Neblinosa
    Neblinosa Posts: 7
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have a wheat allergy but not a gluten intolerance. I do eat fewer carbs overall now because I don't really look for wheat substitutes. I do on occasion have rice noodles or quinoa and corn noodles. I don't eat that much rice usually anyhow. I do love potatoes though but don't overdo it.

I exercise regularly. ..4-5 days a week. I prefer high intensity workouts and run in warm weather. I don't currently strength train as much as I should but it will greatly help. My weigh fluctuates based on how I eat. I noticed years ago that I don't lose as much if I overdue carbs like pasta and breads even if I'm in the same calorie range as a lower carb week. I tend to eat meats and vegetables. I wouldn't necessarily say I'm low carb because I do get carbs in other forms...fruits, non-light yogurts, candy (I have a couple pieces on occasion), grits, popcorn, sauces, cheesecake (my weakness), fries (another weakness)...

I think for some people it can be managed with only diet and exercise.