Flint Hill Trails in Kansas

Options
Has anyone ridden any of the converted rail trails around Ottawa, Kansas? I'm heading up there next month and was wondering what they were like. The website says they're a combo of asphalt in the towns and crushed rock in the country. Was wondering about condition and if my "comfort bike" would suffice rather than a true mountain bike. Appreciate any info.

Replies

• ihadabadidea
    ihadabadidea Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I haven't ridden those trails, but in this region of the country, "crushed rock" means pea-size gravel made from chert dug up from old mines. You will have no problem at all with a standard tire or even a road bike tire provided it isn't super skinny.
  • gdjester1
    gdjester1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Did you do your flint hills ride? How was is? I'm from Missouri but I do a lot of work in eastern Kansas (Wichita, Topeka). I thought I might bring my bike along sometime and ride some.
  • faugsu
    faugsu Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Crushed trails are mostly in good shape but have a couple of differences. You will ride slower. You pedal or you slow down-coasting doesn't work as well! The problem is there can be soft spots & little ditches & gullies that are hard to see, usually found when driveways cross the trail. Reason is different materials are used & they pack/react to rain by washing out differently. These can result in flats, wheel damage & falls when encountered. My point is not to scare you or anyone, just to provide info. One person could ride a road bike without a problem, but mtn bike tires wheels frame will deal better with any surface irregularities.