Post Sleeve Surgery Newbie

Options
Hello,
I've been reading posts here the past month or two to see what lays in store for me, but this is my first time writing. Had VSG surgery done laparoscopically Tues Jan 20 and still on clear liquids. The only horrible part so far was day #2 after anesthesia wore off my gas pain was unrelenting and constant for almost 20 hrs couldn't pass it at either end finally the beginning of 3rd day I could. The other not so great part was my Dilautid pump didn't do much to help my incision pain so I finally asked 24 hrs later if they could switch so I was on a combo of Percocet and Toridol and then I finally felt like I wasn't run over by a truck. I'm not writing any of this to scare any new people who haven't had surgery but I was shocked how much pain I was in because no one in my group (there were 5 of us Tues who had sleeves) seemed to suffer like I did. The nurses said I'm part of a small percentage of patients that suffered at the level I did. I'm not regretting having this done, I just wish I had known the gas could be that bad. I was walking every two hrs and still no relief. But I've been great since being home. It's hard to get all the water requirements in but I'm trying my hardest. So happy to have this group it's a wealth of information. I hope to get to know all of you better very soon.

Shea

Replies

• jacqbult
    Options
    I was part of that pain group too. Had mine 11/24 and it took me a month to feel GOOD.I now feel like I never had the surgery and have lost 31 lbs from my HW. A lot of people kick into full gear more quickly than I did! Congrats on the start of a new life!
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery on jan 21st and I am also surprised my how much gas hurts. I am able to burp but only with constant shuffling around the house. Having to take such tiny sips makes it difficult to get all my protein and liquids in.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Walking is the best solution for gas and as pain goes it can be some of the worst that a person can get. Beware of the constipation that's next do ask your Dr about stool softener. The first time after surgery can get painful.

Randy RN
  • seaghdha71
    Options
    Thank you so much for the feedback. It's strange I notice I am able to take pretty good sized sips with no problem, I try to not do that but didn't think I would be able to. Looking forward to stage II diet as I'm getting bored of clear liquids and protein shakes.

Shea
  • imboswell
    imboswell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for making to this side. I too am one of that small percentage. They kept me an extra day at the hospital because of the pain. Try holding an ice pack right at the top of your stomach. I sit in my house for a week with the ice pack before pain subsided.
  • jaada2014
    Options
    Im in that percentage also! I stayed in the hospial 4 days and still wasnt happy when I left. I had my surgery on Dec. 19th so its only been about 5 weeks for me and ive lost 38 pounds. It was like a switch that turned off and a few days later, I was fine. Happy as ever now.
  • seaghdha71
    Options
    That's reassuring to know that I wasn't alone in that difficulty. Thank you everybody for all the well wishes. Now off to prepare for a huge blizzard bringing over 2 ft of snow tonight and tmrw!!!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Seaghdha-- do not attempt to shovel any snow :wink: Hope you are feeling better each day.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Oh dang Seaghda71....for a split second when I read "blizzard" the 1st thing that came to mind was DQ :grinning: !!
  • seaghdha71
    Options
    Hahaaaa!!! Yes good ol DQ Blizzards! None of those anymore for me. We have a little over 2' of snow in eastern New Hampshire this morning and I am not shoveling any of it. My brother is snow blowing the driveway though.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Awe, what a guy...at least he's making himself useful :wink:
    I know what you mean about that snow...all the schools around here were out, even the 1's who try to stick it out to the last minute!