Online Dating "Red Flags"

Belle8312
Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
Good morning fellow single peeps! So I am semi-new to this whole online dating thing. I have great friends who have been doing it for years, and have had both good and bad luck. So my question to everyone that is or has done the online dating thing, what do you consider "red flags"? Mine are pretty simple:

Posting a pic of you completely naked - really?
Wants to pick you up for the first date - sorry, but I think I've seen the Craigslist Killer movie too much! LOL!
Drugs, or other type of paraphernalia in your pics
For your answer to the question "do you have kids", the answer on your profile says "prefer not to say".

What are yours? And did you find out some red flags after your first meeting? Or was it all before you even started talking/meeting the person?

Just curious to hear what everyone has to say. Have a great day everyone! :smiley:

Replies

• Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    I have a couple ..

If the man is in the military and his status is "separated" .. typically they aren't really. Their wife is just in their home State with the kids. lol We have an Army base close by and have learned that the hard way.

If they have drinks in every picture and their arm around a lot of females .. no thanks.

If anything says "prefer not to say" .. um .. no thanks. Just say it. What are you hiding.

After we meet .. if they have more than one cell phone (other than a work one). I dated this one guy and then we just kind of transitioned into friends and he has one cell specifically for his dating apps and then his "real one" and then his iPod had a texting app for booty call girls.

I'm typically not worried about being killed, lol.. it is more that they have multiple women, or heaven forbid a wife.
  • rlshopp6
    rlshopp6 Posts: 31 Member
    I have some subtle ones, and the list is in flux... some things it's only after a bad first date that I can look back and spot what should've been a red flag.

Overly possessive before you've even met once. Never asks questions about me, only makes comments on my looks (which are certainly appreciated, but if they can't be bothered to read my profile/ask a question specific to me, then it seems they aren't too invested in getting to know me) and aren't willing to call me to schedule a date. If they're too shy to talk on the phone with me, an in person date isn't likely to go too well.

I'm not bothered by "prefer not to say" if it's about the income, as I've been contacted by at least two scammers that I know of, and both happened when I listed my income. Since then I leave that blank in my profile, and while I have no problem sharing it, if it helps the scammers avoid me, I'm all for that.
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Oh for sure .. on the income part, even the profession part .. I'm talking about the do you have kids, do you want kids, do you drink, do you do drugs, do you have a car .. lol.

Oh I can't stand those possessive ones!!!! There is a level of cuteness, then there is a level of *run as fast as you can* .. lololol

I don't like the ones that can't be bothered to make one small statement of themselves .. so they just write .. ask. or tell you later. that bugs me for some reason.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    A red flag for me is "widowed"........2 that were "widowed" were scammers, so left a bad feeling, so I am always wary with widowers......but if they have several pics that eases my mind, as both scammers only had one pic.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    edited January 2015
    Overly possessive before you've even met once.

YES. Getting mad because you didn't respond fast enough! Really?! It's a dating app lol you're not my boyfriend!! Or asking for my phone number the first day of messaging. Then saying "Guess not" when I don't respond. UGGGHHH!!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Wow didn't know the prefer not to say for kids was a bad thing. I have that since it is something I really just don't want to put in black and white on the form.

All their pictures are group pictures of them partying.
    If their first picture isn't of them but of a car, pet, cartoon etc.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Wow didn't know the prefer not to say for kids was a bad thing. I have that since it is something I really just don't want to put in black and white on the form.

This would not raise a red flag for me. It would draw my attention especially if it's something that interests me. For an example, something related to Doctor Who, but that's just the nerd in me talking. However, if all her pictures were of things like that and no real pictures of herself, or all group pictures, i.e. unable to distinguish who she is from the group, then yeah, that's a red flag for me.

Height is another one. I don't care if she has a preference for tall or short, many women do, it would be how she expresses that in her profile would be a another red flag for me.
    For an example "Please be 6 ft+! Men 5'11 and under need not apply."
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    I don't think that saying "prefer not to say" regarding kids isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I would think that the guy would want to be upfront about having kids. If they don't, to me, and this is my opinion only, it seems kind of shady. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.
    Another red flag - which I just found this one out last week....when you have a phone conversation with a person that you're planning on meeting starts calling you little nicknames. I was talking to this guy who kept calling me "hun" on the phone. That one was no big deal, it actually didn't bother me because I have friends that call me that. Then he started calling me pumpkin.
    Then, when I called him out on it, it's like his feelings got hurt and he started talking down to me and being extremely condescending. Needless to say, our conversation quickly ended and I canceled meeting up.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Definitely "separated" - it's never true.
    -
    Didn't read my profile before messaging (the second sentence is, "if you're religious we would be a terrible match" and half of the messages I get are from people with "God" listed as one of the things they can't live without)

FOR SURE no pickups on a first (and probably second since I've made that mistake) date!!

I've had a couple of experiences where everything seemed cool and then immediately after the first date it turns into a sextravaganza. I think the thing I hate the most is guys who are only after a hookup but are pretending they want a relationship.
  • kelzang
    kelzang Posts: 1 Member
    -A red flag for me is if all the guy's profile photos obviously have a woman cropped out of them. If he can't find or take a photo without a date, it suggests to me that he doesn't do very much of interest on his own. I'm the opposite of clingy and need a lot of time to myself so I don't contact guys who seem like they need a girlfriend to exist.

-If his profile shows he has kids, I know he must have a totally different lifestyle, life experience and set of priorities from me. If he has kids, a romantic partner is never ever ever going to be #1 in his life. I don't need yet another relationship where I make him my top priority and he ranks me someplace in the lower Top Ten!
  • Kontxesi
    Kontxesi Posts: 86 Member
    kelzang wrote: »
    -If his profile shows he has kids, I know he must have a totally different lifestyle, life experience and set of priorities from me. If he has kids, a romantic partner is never ever ever going to be #1 in his life. I don't need yet another relationship where I make him my top priority and he ranks me someplace in the lower Top Ten!

I don't think I could do it, either. It's good that you know that will be a problem for you and avoid it. It's never cool to get involved with someone who you know has kids, and then demand to be put before them. Not a good look for anyone.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Guys who message me "So can we have sex?" I seriously got one of those a few days ago.
    Drug use is a big one for me and anyone who says "in an open relationship".
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    edited January 2015
    I've had some weird online "dating" experiences. I met a girl on facebook who wanted to have skype sex but didn't want to meet. I met another lady who revealed all kinds of intimate things about herself, but didn't want to meet. I met another who had an ex-husband who was stalking her, she was addicted to pain meds, and wanted to spend hours on the phone even though I couldn't hear a word she said because she spoke too soft, and would occasionally nod off from the effects of the pain meds. Then, I met another girl, again on facebook, who lived nearby, had a good job, seemed to have herself together, but she became very preachy and kept offering unsolicited and unwanted "advice" on how I should live my life. In each case, the initial online contact was very mature and without any warning signs as far as I can recollect. However, my relationship history is not a good one, so I may be missing a crucial aspect of discerning an emotionally stable individual from a lipstick-smearing wait-for-you-in-the-dark-with-a-flashlight psychomaniac
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    lacroyx wrote: »

This would not raise a red flag for me. It would draw my attention especially if it's something that interests me. For an example, something related to Doctor Who, but that's just the nerd in me talking. However, if all her pictures were of things like that and no real pictures of herself, or all group pictures, i.e. unable to distinguish who she is from the group, then yeah, that's a red flag for me.

To me if their first picture isn't of themselves they don't have confidence in themselves to attact someone so they have to use a prop. They need to move the other picture to some where else in the line of pictures.
  • laurenz2501
    edited January 2015

HAHA not that it's a red flag, just REALLY annoying....I can't stand when guys post ANY of the following pictures without them in it: cars/sports team logo/cats/dogs/shoes/just your chest/bicep or a child. Unless you are in the picture, I DO NOT WANT TO DATE EITHER OF THOSE THINGS!!!!! I don't care if you wear Jordans. I hope I'm not sitting across from a dog or cat when we go out to dinner. I want to date YOU. If I'm attracted to you overall, I don't CARE what your chest looks like. No! Just my opinion but I would NEVER EVER in a million years post a picture of my kid on a dating site! Are you serious?? At least blur the kids face out. There's an app for that.
    /rant
    To me if their first picture isn't of themselves they don't have confidence in themselves to attact someone so they have to use a prop. They need to move the other picture to some where else in the line of pictures.
    OMGYES.
  • Tube_socks
    Tube_socks Posts: 808 Member
    One thing that was a turn off/ red flag were profiles that had a list of "don't be" or "don't contact me if.." Even if the list didn't apply to me. Blah! We all have dislikes, been played, etc but I don't want to read it.

Just like women that say "I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A HOOK UP" as the first thing on their profiles! Yikes!! Just seem scary.
    I'm sure you can weed out creeps as they message you.

I am a firm believer in keeping profiles light and happy. Anything else just screams drama to me.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    ^^Yes! Anyone talking about what they're not looking for? That's not a positive.

Ohhhh, I wouldn't say mine are 'red flags' but there definite things people do that make me not want to date them.

Like grammar. I'm flexible with this, I play fast and loose with the rules of grammar myself and was an English Lit major. But I've also been in a relationship with someone who was dyslexic. He knew it was an issue so he would go over anything he wrote multiple times. Minor grammar issues are fine - but spelling and punctuation issues all over the place? Nope.

People who state we will be a good match and then list their 'dating resume' as if they are a good candidate for the position, 'boyfriend', i.e. I'm a good catch, have a good job, work out, know how to cook, etc.' While I'm happy for them that they made it to adulthood and learned life skills, that shouldn't even need to be said.

And any message that just refers to my appearance.

• laurenz2501
    While I'm happy for them that they made it to adulthood and learned life skills, that shouldn't even need to be said.

HAHA yes!!! The initial message that's a book and obviously copied and pasted to everyone!!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    For me, I have it very clearly stated in my online dating profile that I do not do drugs and do not want anything to do with them. I also noted that I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, it's just not for me.

I have had guys message me who put in the message that I sound like such a great person and they really want to get to know me, and love my profile. Then I go to read their's and they answered "Do Drugs" with often or socially. I'm like seriously - did you even read, or just look at my pictures? It drives me nuts.

Also I hate when guys message me and we message back and forth but if I don't respond within 5 minutes they're messaging me again and again and again. I'm like really - I do other things and I don't just sit on my computer all day.

I also was talking to one guy for quite a while, and he just wanted a casual thing. I was fine with that, so I suggested we text instead of being online (we had been talking for like 6 months online) and he said he doesn't want to give out his number, so he suggested KIK and I said sure. We talked for another month on there and then he wanted to meet up. I said I'm not going to meet up with someone who is this evasive about their number. I'm not meeting up with someone who won't even give up a cell phone number. There's something else going on there. I get not giving it out to everyone but after 6 or 7 months, that seems odd to me. He got mad and said he was just playing the whole time and just wanted to see how far I would go . . . I was like uh, yeh ok because that's believable.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Is there some magic way to easily spot the married ones???
    I was just talking to this guy (profile said single) for 5 days and over 300 long messages of platonic conversation. We really hit it off. I was trying to find an old childhood friend of my dad's online and thought "hey, why not google him?"
    It turns out he's married and has been for 4 years. Never once did he mention anything about her, even in conversations about family and relationships.
    :s:s:s