Full liquid/soft food stage: what did you eat?

Options
SkinnyDevi
SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
I'm trying to stock up and create variety in my pantry-I think it helps with the building anxiety as it gets closer to surgery day. I already have my clear liquids and plain broth. Any other ideas for full liquids and the soft food phase?

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I stocked up on Campbell's homestyle chicken noodle soup (I only ate the broth) in those ready to go microwave containers. I also stocked up on Unjury unflavored protein powder and Crystal Lights. For soft foods, I bought some Starkist tuna packs in different flavors --- they are ready to eat and easy to take with you. Best wishes!!
  • Living4me123
    Living4me123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    For me the first week post-op was liquids only, I did water, crystal light and broth, then 2 weeks of protein shakes only, then soft foods for 2 weeks which for me consisted of yogurt, SF pudding with protein powder, eggs, egg salad, tuna salad, thin cream of wheat and oatmeal to which I added chocolate almond butter by nuts and more to add protein. I could get down about 1/4 cup before feeling full. I am now a little over 2 months out and on solid foods which mostly consist of lean protein and veggies if room. Best of luck to you. This surgery is the best thing I have ever done for myself!
  • rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well I am now almost two weeks out. I have stuck to the Premier Protien drinks 3X a day. I have Egg Drop soup with the little mix you can buy in the store. Broth and one egg which I make sure is stirred real good. This weekend I did streatch it out just a little meaning I made a devi Egg like you would for a sandwhich and chewed it down to puree... That one I had to eat super slow. I will have my Post Op Doctors appointment tomorrow. I am sure there will be more ideas as they come along. Oh and Jello! I also tried and liked the Imatation Crab strips. Just gave some flavor and was able to stay on track. Cannot over eat for sure. I am soooooo Glad I did this!
  • SkinnyDevi
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I hadn't thought about tuna or egg salad. I'll add that to the list! As for the shakes--auugghh...i guess they are a must! :)
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    For my first pureed stage meals I bought canned ham and chicken and blended them with cream soups and protein powder until there weren't any chunks left. The meats look terrible coming out of the can but they are easily blendable and protein rich. I actually found them to be really satisfying.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Sugar free popsicles were awesome as a treat and helped get in fluids during the first two weeks.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The sugar free popsicles were a huge help to me as well, both pre-and post- op. I really like the tropical flavored ones.

Other than that, there is a lot more variety in smooth soups and broths. I found carrot/ginger, and a few thai flavored soups that I enjoyed.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I was able to have yogurt on the liquid stage. I also made soups and added unflavored protein powder. For the soft / puree try eggface's ricotta bake http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1793517 (I made 5 servings instead of 4 and put them in little ramikens). I was on liquid for 3 1/2 weeks after surgery so make sure you don't stock up too much until you know how long you will be on it.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Greek yougurt
    Syntrax Nectar Lemon Iced Tea for protein
    Whizzed Chili
    Eggs
    Cream of wheat\rice
    Grits
    Rocotta baked with garlic and mozarella topped with a little pasta sauce
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Cream of Wheat; greek yogurt. I found that although it didn't appear appetizing, I pureed canned Beef Hash and it was really good. Or I was really hungry to something other than sweet. :wink: I also used spices to add flavor to the broth so it wasn't like eating the same broth over and over. Sometimes I used indian-themed spices, sometimes greek.
  • momsnewride
    momsnewride Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I drank crystal light & diet Snapple, for my soft foods, it was Greek Yogurt, SF jello, SF applesauce, SF pudding, cottage cheese and my favorite Trader Joes Organic creamy tomato soup, that was my "treat" that kept me sane and moving it along.
    Good Luck!
  • nkac1980
    nkac1980 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Soft foods for me consisted on smashed beans with hot sauce (think refried without actually frying) (in a pinch the side of pintos and cheese at Taco Bell saved my life) mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, egg salad, yogurt. Hummus, all soups. Also a big fan of jucing vegetables/fruits.
  • rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So I do have a question regarding puree food. Whats the difference if I chew it to puree or spinning it in a blender. As long as it is puree'd it should be fine yes? No?
    Only reason I ask is My surgeon moved me from liquids to puree. well I didn't tell him I already had A Scallop which I chewed and chewed and chewed...lol
    Anyway I didnt die from it so I figured I was ok. Cottage cheese is on my new menu too now. Was gonna do the refried beans but playing in Vegas with no Fridge or Microwave. Its all in the ice chest!
  • Ldizzle82
    Ldizzle82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am having surgery in two weeks and I am loving the ideas!
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The reason for progressing your diet slowly is to prevent problems. Puree is supposed to be without clumps that your stomach may not be ready for. Pushing to fast with your diet can make you throw up and or get a bowel obstruction, that is painful. I remember being ready for the next phase, but made myself take it slow and careful.

Randy RN
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Rscpjim- I just couldn't stomach the pureed diet, threw up more than I kept down because I thought it was disgusting. So I just made sure to chew soft foods until it was mush and I was just fine. I am 4 months out and I have not once thrown up due to the surgery, nor have I had bowel issues. Everyone is different.
  • mfpdevotee
    Options
    I couldnt do puree either. I was careful and ate the following by chewing and mashing it up in my mouth prior to swallowing:
    egg salad (all egg w/tiny bit of mayo)
    black beans (used a chipotle hack recipie and fortified it with non- flavored protein)
    cottage cheese
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I never had the pureed stage. It was included, but when i saw my surgeon after two weeks, he encouraged me to try soft foods but be ready to puree if they didn't agree with me. I was able to eat soft foods without many issues, so i never got to play with blended meat!

As usual, follow *your* plan!

Rob
  • SkinnyDevi
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You guys, these are awesome ideas! Thanks so much! Funny enough, I'm looking forward to this stage after being on the pre-op diet for 11 days now!