Has anyone here tried the ketogenic diet or Ideal Protein and have any opinions on them?

Options
kimmers100
kimmers100 Posts: 11 Member
I am interested if anybody with a lot to lose has tried either the ketogenic or the Ideal Protein diets and if they had any success, liked them or anything else they could share?

Replies

• travelistadiva
    travelistadiva Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've heard of Keto but what is ideal protein? Thanks
  • kimmers100
    Options
    It's one of the pre-packaged diets, you eat 3-4 of their packets and add some fresh stuff. It has caught my attention due to people have lost over 100 pounds on it, just wanted to know if anybody here had tried it?
  • jpskitts7
    jpskitts7 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have plateaued in my weight loss and am going to switch over to the Ketogenic eating plan this weekend. I will probably follow that for two to three weeks and then switch back to what I am doing now. Trying to keep my body confused!
  • kimmers100
    Options
    Have you tried the Keto before? If you did, how long did it take to get into ketosis? I ask how long because it took me over a week. I was just wondering if others have similar time frames.
  • mstortie
    mstortie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know nothing of either of these and i guess you can call me old school partly because a few years back I dropped 80 lbs in 6 months and i did it by writing down everything that went into my mouth and how many calories it had weighed measured my food and planned my meals(shopped off of my meal plan) and worked out i got off track r/t a personal issue but that is what worked for me. My complaint with prepackaged meals is how do you transition from them to regular food and everyone i know who has tried them is heavier now than before they started, Also from a medical standpoint you Do Not want to be Ketotic it can cause major damage and comma death in rapid order it is just as bad as keacidois which is it counterpart bottom line don't play with your electrolytes you are asking for trouble
  • kimmers100
    Options
    There are a lot of Ketogenic diets out and they make a compelling case that they are not related to being in ketoacidosis. If you google ketoacidosis vs ketosis you see some of that info or look at bodybuilding websites and other diet websites, people are getting the fat off. I don't like the packaged food either, cost and poor nutrition as well as making that change to regular food. (or being stuck buying the packages for one meal a day or however they want you to come down).
  • soplac79
    soplac79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was on Ideal Protein diet program that included going to the gym 3-4min a week. I had lost 100 in 3 mths BUT in my third month I started getting very ill and having severe stomach pains. The doctor pointed out that the Ideal Protein diet was the cause...I stopped the Ideal Protein `food` and got better almost immediately...the other down side is once your body gets to eat normal food again it will gain back the pounds back and fast too! This is why this time around I`m choosing to change my lifestyle, eat real food with god nutritional value and get moving.
  • jpskitts7
    Options
    Hey kimmers100...just wanted to chime in again. Unfortunately, the month of February was a total mess and I was never able to commit to a keto diet plan. Between unforeseen health problems and the death of a very close family member...February was bleak!!

I am now a couple of days in on keeping my daily carbs under 50 grams, protein at 106g, and fat at 165g. (This is based on the 10% Carb-20% Prot-70% Fat ratio I picked to use for myself.) Out of the hordes of macronutrient calculators online...the easiest one I found to use is on freedieting.com...listed under Nutrient Ratio Calculator. There have a default Ketogenic Ratio that is set at 10%-45%-45%...but you can adjust the percentages.
  • jpskitts7
    Options
    I also use protein shakes each day...they help me tremendously...and that's where most of my carbs come in. So far, so good. I have had a few sugar cravings, but that's getting better each day.

I bought the Ketone strips today on my lunch break but have not used them yet. I read that people can reach ketosis anywhere from within a of couple of days to a week or two. Also, that active people may actually burn all the ketones they produce and not test positive for ketones but still be in a ketogenic state.

I am not a big fan of the pre-packages meals. For me, they have too much sodium and are way too pricey for my budget. It doesn't help that I am a picky eater either!