The Ramzi’s Method of Baby Gender Prediction

Options
mommyrunning
mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
Has anyone heard of this method of gender prediction during pregnancy? Just for fun I am curious if other ladies had this ring true.
Basically, it uses placenta position seen with a vaginal ultrasound at 6 weeks to determine baby's sex. I will have to look at my ultrasound but if I remember correctly mine was on my right. We have 2 girls currently and everyone keeps saying this one is going to be a boy. I think it will be a girl just to prove all of them wrong but it would be cool if this method works. 4-6 more weeks before I can know for sure.

"This scan measures gestational age, and it measures where the placenta is located. According to the research done by Dr. Ramzi Ismail, at the age of six weeks after conception, around 97% of male fetuses had either the placenta or the chorionic villi on the right hand side of the patient’s uterus. For female fetuses, either the chronic villi or placenta was on the left uterine side in about the same percentage of cases."

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that. We don't get early ultrasounds in England unless we have bleeding early on. I did actually have bleeding around 6 weeks with my 2nd, but I wasn't given a scan picture to keep then, or I'd have loved to have checked it to see if the theory is right!
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    I've never heard of that. We don't get early ultrasounds in England unless we have bleeding early on. I did actually have bleeding around 6 weeks with my 2nd, but I wasn't given a scan picture to keep then, or I'd have loved to have checked it to see if the theory is right!

I did not know that. In the US they do early ultrasounds for confirming due date/gestational age. If you ask they may have it noted in your records which side baby was on.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

I did not know that. In the US they do early ultrasounds for confirming due date/gestational age. If you ask they may have it noted in your records which side baby was on.

Our dating scan is our 12 week scan. We get that and the anomaly scan at 20 weeks, when they also check gender if you want them to.

I don't think my GP has access to hospital notes, and the hospital might think it a bit strange if I phoned up and asked!
  • mommyrunning
    Options

Our dating scan is our 12 week scan. We get that and the anomaly scan at 20 weeks, when they also check gender if you want them to.

I don't think my GP has access to hospital notes, and the hospital might think it a bit strange if I phoned up and asked!

Yeah they might think it's strange. I thought you meant it was done in the same office. :laugh:
  • futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    Options
    Does it mean right side of the scan or right side of your uterus? I want to try this.
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    I read it as right or left side of your uterus.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I had an u/s this week and asked which side my placenta is on and the tech said mine is on the right. We won't know baby's gender until it's born, so it will be interesting to see who comes out!

ETA: I just went to the top and re-read the original post. My u/s was done at 30 weeks and from the belly, so not sure how accurate that would be. Either way, I'm still intrigued! Right side supposedly means boy, and I have had a boy vibe this time...
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    I will post once I find out in about a month what we are having.
  • sunflower92630
    sunflower92630 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    YES! I have heard of this and it is totally accurate, BUT you have to go off of the ultrasound that is first done at your 6 -8 weeks confirmation of pregnancy as your placental location can change as the fetus completely implants into the uterus. FYI I totally checked this when I first got pregnant and got my 8 week ultrasound showing my egg implanted on the right side which is a "97.2% of the male fetuses had a chorionic villi/placenta location on the right side of the uterus" I am having a boy!

Also you need to remember when you look at the ultrasound screen whether you are having a Trans-abdominal ultrasound or a trans-vaginal ultrasound.

If you have a trans-abdominal ultrasound the placement is the OPPOSITE of what you see on the screen as you are looking at a mirror image of your body (So if image on screen shows plantation on the right side, this is YOUR LEFT SIDE = GIRL, If image o screen shows plantation on the left side, this is YOUR RIGHT SIDE = BOY)
    If you have a trans-vaginal ultrasond the placement is the SAME SIDE as what you see on the screen as it is internal to your body. ((So if image on screen shows plantation on the right side, this is YOUR RIGHT SIDE = BOY, If image on screen shows plantation on the left side, this is YOUR LEFT SIDE = BOY)

Check out:
    http://www.obgyn.net/articles/relationship-between-placental-location-and-fetal-gender-ramzi’s-method

Dramatic differences were detected in chorionic villi / placental location according to gender. 97.2% of the male fetuses had a chorionic villi/placenta location on the right side of the uterus whereas, 2.4% had a chorionic villi/placenta location to the left of the uterus. On the other hand 97.5% of female fetuses had a chorionic villi/placenta location to the left of the uterus whereas, 2.7% had their chorionic villi/placenta location to the right side of the uterus.127 cases were found to involve bicornuate uteri with single foetuses, most male fetuses were located in the right horn of the uterus and showed right placental laterality (70%). Most female fetuses 59% on the other hand, were located in the left horn and showed left laterality (59%).Moreover, most of the males located in the left horn exhibited right laterality (89%). Also most females located in right horn exhibited left laterality (976.4%). In addition this research indicated that there was a possible link between renal pyelectasis and placental location, and it might be used as a genetic soft marker.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Hmm this is interesting, I looked at my 6 week trans vaginal US to try and tell, however it looks to me like its in the middle?? I dont know, maybe I am just not very good at reading the ultrasound! LOL
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    So it's accurate. We are having a boy! Confirmed today.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

I'm not sure where in the US you are, but where I'm at, they only do a blood test to confirm pregnancy at 6 weeks then set up an appointment for a first ultrasound at 12 weeks (at the earliest). I don't recall where the placenta was for my first, but we had a girl. It will be interesting to see which gender this one is and if it's accurate for me.
  • mommyrunning
    Options

I'm not sure where in the US you are, but where I'm at, they only do a blood test to confirm pregnancy at 6 weeks then set up an appointment for a first ultrasound at 12 weeks (at the earliest). I don't recall where the placenta was for my first, but we had a girl. It will be interesting to see which gender this one is and if it's accurate for me.

I am in San Antonio Texas. With all 3 pregnancies I had an ultrasound done around 6-8 weeks to confirm gestational age which is the due date they always used versus last period. I never knew any other way until I read about other womens' experiences on here.
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    At my clinic in MN they only do an early u/s if you are unsure how far along you are, or if something is wrong (bleeding, cramping, not measuring big enough, no heartbeat). Other than that - it's just the 20 week u/s that is considered "Routine". Otherwise this sounds cool!
  • TANNE21
    TANNE21 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump

Anyone else ever hear about this method?

If it's true, we are having another boy! Just about 2 weeks until I can see if this theory is true.