Logging Crossfit on mfp

Options
lisaw104
lisaw104 Posts: 8 Member
Hi, what does everyone use to log their wod on mfp? I've been using circuit training as thought the closest I could find to Crossfit?

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I just created a cardio one and add it as 1 calorie. It's almost impossible to calculate the calorie burn because it's so different from workout to workout. I track my calories by calculating TDEE and eating at 20% under and don't subtract workout calories
  • lisaw104
    Options
    Thank you
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I created my own as well and wear a HRM which isn't an exact science but it's better than dumping it into the catch all of circuit training ..
  • StephaniePaige1020
    StephaniePaige1020 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just put it in as "vigorous calisthenics" assuming that's pretty close, for as many minutes as it takes me to complete the WOD.
  • becam01
    becam01 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM, it makes it so much easier than just guessing. I'm having a hard time finding my daily calorie intake goal for fat loss though. :(
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I also just put it in as 1 calorie, having created my own exercise, because I am not counting calories at the moment but even when I was I don't eat back my calories so it does not matter. Up to you if you need to track or not.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I created an "CrossFit" exercise in the category/type of Cardiovascular. From time to time, I will wear my HRM to gauge/measure my caloric burn. Because of the variation from WOD to WOD, I basically guesstimate the caloric burn based on WOD and enter it into MFP (*if not wearing my HRM).
  • lisaw104
    Options
    Thank guys! Can anyone recommend a good hrm?
  • andycet
    andycet Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    As I calculated my TDEE I don't eat back my training. I just mark down 500 calories under a custom crossfit type as I know that is a fair minimum. I do track my excercises in the notes though.
  • becam01
    Options
    How can I calculate my TDEE? I might be delusional but I just can't survive on 1400 cal a day. It might work for fat loss but it's most definitely not working for performance.

Lisa, I wear a Garmin
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    1400 a day for a crossfitter is just not going to happen. Link here for some calculators.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

• bostonwolf
    Options
    And you will likely be shocked at the number. Mine is something like 3700 calories, I usually strive to eat 3000, maybe less on a rest day.
  • becam01
    Options
    oh wow!!!! even when I put my activity level at "no exercise" it gives me a 1921 daily goal, which makes sense if I was trying to lose 1lb per week with no exercise. no wonder why I am always hungry and my performance has been crappy in the last few weeks.

Thanks a bunch!
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    lisaw104 wrote: »
    Thank guys! Can anyone recommend a good hrm?

If you're just looking to get the calories you've burned, there are several & inexpensive choices from both Polar and Garmin. I started with the Polar FT7 and it was great and very simple/easy to use. As I moved into triathlon training, I upgraded ($$) to a Garmin (*currently have a Garmin Forerunner 310XT). There are also several other brands to choose from, just make sure its indicated they are HRM and not step-counters, like Fitbits, otherwise you won't get an accurate caloric burn.

*Note: Sometimes the HRM can be a hindernce because they are worn around the wrist, which is why I don't wear it for every WOD. I have put the watch component of the HRM in my pocket on occasion if doing mutliple movements in a WOD.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    becam01 wrote: »
    oh wow!!!! even when I put my activity level at "no exercise" it gives me a 1921 daily goal, which makes sense if I was trying to lose 1lb per week with no exercise. no wonder why I am always hungry and my performance has been crappy in the last few weeks.

Thanks a bunch!

Not a problem. I'll add, don't take this new number as gospel, it's an approximate calculation so you might have to fiddle with it a bit to get what works for you.

My general theory is that most of us, barring hormone issues and the like, should not be constantly hungry. That just isn't sustainable. At some point you're going to binge. My ideal day is being satiated but not stuffed and getting a wee bit hungry right as I'm going to bed.

• LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 HRM that I use, and then I take the time and calories and put them in a manually created exercise. I've found MFP tends to underestimate my caloric burn because my HR gets pretty high during exercise.