Epic Failure last night... Need some insights and advise...

Options
:s I had my Pre-Op meeting with my nutritionist yesterday morning. At my Bariatric center you purchase all you food for the 2 week pre-op diet from them. As a vegetarian it was pretty disappointing to see the limited choices, but they were great about helping to plan out an alternative plan for me, allowing some substitutions and additions to their plan. My husband even went with me to support me and have a better idea of what the next few weeks are going to be like. I felt pretty good when I left there... Unfortunately, by later that afternoon all I could think about was everything I couldn't have anymore. I felt panicked about the whole process. I felt like I was starving. I had cravings for things I normally could care less about. A vegetarian craving fried chicken?? Seriously, what's up with that?? I ate way to much and ate crap that I normally have no desire to eat. It was made very clear that I am to follow the Pre-Op diet exactly as written and if I don't lose weight the surgery will be postponed. I'm praying this feeling of panic and doubt will pass soon. I know it was all mental hunger. Knowing that didn't help last night. I start the Pre-Op diet Monday the 2nd. I know I gain weight very easily. The average persons normal is too much for me. My first pre-op check in is Feb 11th. Please pray for me! Anyone else hit panic mode at this stage?

Replies

• Sammers48220
    Sammers48220 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started my pre-op diet two weeks ago (surgery is tomorrow! eek!) and in the weeks leading up to it, I had a lot of "food funerals." I regret it now, because I started out heavier than I should've. The first few days of my pre-op diet were REALLY hard, and I was terrified that I wouldn't make it. But the more good choices I made, the easier they got to make.
    If you're committed to the process and doing this for yourself, then you'll find a way to get past the head hunger. I've got faith in you!
  • SkinnyDevi
    SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! It's totally normal. I went through the same thing. I'm on day 12 of my pre-op diet and the first two days was definitely hard and then I was ok for the next three days so much that I got a little cocky. However, it got really difficult last weekend and I felt like I wanted everything under the sun including things I normally hate/never eat and I was constantly hungry. That feeling last for a couple days and this week has been a lot better. One thing that helped was varying my shake flavors and food options (I'm allowed to have some clean foods).

Like Sammers48220 said, commit to the process and recognize that following the plan will produce the best outcome for you. You can totally do this.

-Devi
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Your fear and sense of panic are normal. I was so afraid that I wouldn't be able to get through 2 weeks on their food and then a week of liquids and lose the 20 pounds they wanted me to lose. I mean, how could I do that when I had failed every other weight loss plan? But it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I think it was the extra protein in the pre-op plan and all the water. I never felt deprived or hungry. Also, they had me eating 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. That helped too.

As for the "food funerals" a lot of people had, I didn't. There are things I just simply cut out of my life because I wasn't able to have any control over them, had to eat it until it was gone, so I chose to no longer eat it at all. This works for me. Some people can do it in moderation. I can't. The rest, well we can eat what we want. It's making the choices daily to eat a portion, stay within calories, get all our water and protein in. Nothing is forbidden unless you, like me, decide you just don't want that item in your life again.

Is this easy? No. I just had a 10 pound regain through the holidays because I stopped following the plan and allowed myself to mindlessly eat. So no, not easy, but very doable. This is a great tool as long as we use it and use it correctly.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    That's totaly understandable. I had a long goodbye to food the month before my surg. I think that helped to get it out of my system so by the time the 10 day liquid diet came I was able to focus. The pre op diet is hard, but keep focused on your goal, minimize your TV time (every commercial is for a juicy burger when your fasting/restricted), go to bed early and it will be over before you know it started.
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    :s ... Unfortunately, by later that afternoon all I could think about was everything I couldn't have anymore. I felt panicked about the whole process.

I definitely feel for you. I went through a bucket-list of food I thought I would never be able to have after getting sleeved. But what I have learned in the last nearly 3 months is that there really isn't anything I can't have any more. I just have to rank it's priority. I can have a really good steak (replace your favorite vegetarian dish here). I just skip the carb side and end up taking 2/3 of it home for 2 more meals. I focus on having REALLY GOOD food now.

The focus is all about tasty tasty protein and doing everything I can now to maximize my success.

Best of luck during the pre-op, and keep coming back here for support and ideas.

-Phill
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think that with any major life change, it is normal to panic and have some doubts and fears surface. Especially as the surgery approaches and it all becomes so real. I felt like I craved anything and everything. Suddenly, all I could think of was the food I was "giving up". I dreamed about food. It taunted me. What I have come to realize...and try my best to remember every day...is that even after having the surgery, I have found that I can have the foods I thought I would never have again (this actually surprised me). But, I have to remember that it is MY choice. Yes, I can have it. No, I don't (always) need it. Like pcoppock says above, I have to rank it's priority and compromise because I have Decided that I want to be healthy and that is most important to me.
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys, I appreciate the support and advice very much. I feel more in control tonight but food still seems in the forefront of my mind. It becoming real, really hits the nail on the head! I know keeping my health the priority is the most important thing! Its comforting to know others have felt the same. I will keep reminding myself its all about keeping food in perspective. Staying away from the TV and going to bed early is fabulous advice! The longer I stay up the more temptation I feel!

Thanks so much for being here!

Sammers, good luck tomorrow! You will be in my prayers!
  • pplaroux
    pplaroux Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would like to add that I have been a vegetarian and a vegan before. For me, it's about whatever works for me and I have had to go back to eating meat. If it keeps me on my plan, then that's what I choose to do.

I'm not telling you not to continue a vegetarian diet, but eating vegetarian is very limited and if you get sick of the same things over and over again, you could feel that being magnified after surgery.

My advice is try to work this issue out before surgery because it doesn't get any easier after.

Good luck!
  • kittenincalgary
    kittenincalgary Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi there. :) I completely understand the panic! I'll admit that the night before my pre-op diet, I caved and had a cupcake (Im not normally a sweet fan, but it was there :\ ) I'm on day 3 of my 2 week pre-op liquids today and at this point, I'm still having thoughts about certain foods, so what I'm doing is trying to keep as busy as possible. My apartment is becoming almost showroom spotless with all the wall washing and organizing. :D I know it's only for 2 weeks,but after months of putting so much thought and effort into meal planning, it's weird to not need to every day.
  • rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Before my Surgery had some food dreams and nightmares.. I think I cleaned my house enough to make my mother proud. actually she was when they came to help me Post Op. Only thing I can say is to stay focused on the bigger picture. Thats what I had to do. After the surgery I had one nightmare about eating to much of something and being rushed back to the hospital. Just a dream and I let it pass but hung on to the message about taking care of myself to make sure that didn't happen. You will go through a lot of changes before its all said and done I am sure.
  • lorilbuckner1
    Options
    Trying hard to
    rscpjim wrote: »
    stay focused on the bigger picture.
    !
    :D I know it's only for 2 weeks,but after months of putting so much thought and effort into meal planning, it's weird to not need to every day.
    I keep telling myself after all these months 2 weeks is nothing. I still have to plan out my days as I am required to use the Bariatric center high protein food products,which includes all kinds of, pre-packaged meals, bars, otameal, pancakes, shakes, chips, soups, etc. At first I was relieved it wasn't all just liquids but looking at the pile of stuff on my table almost makes me think all liquid would be simpler!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My pre-op week was tough for the first two days, but I focused on the fact that I was helping my surgeon. After 5 months of work, the last week was almost a relaxation; hard but simple. I picked my surgery date to be one week after a golf outing, so I came home from golfing and started the liquid diet. The forced discipline helped focus my mind on the surgery.

Four months out, I need to find some of that focus and discipline again . . .

Rob

63741332.png
  • rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Lori my Surgeon put it this way to me and maybe it will help. Because I told him I had just retired he said well your new Job is to take care of your body and your health. It is work and no its wont be easy but just like any new skill you have to learn patience and percerverance will pay off in the end. My dad told me after his Surgery that he now had to eat to live not live to eat. It sounds like you have more options available to you. I didnt have all those prepackaged meals. It has been protien drinks for the two weeks I was on the pre op. and the same for about two weeks after. Now I am on Puree. and still take two protein drinks a day. So yes it is a major shift in your eating habits. You will find what works for you and perservere! I have all the faith in you that your trying to muster up within yourself.
    Hand in there!
  • lorilbuckner1
    Options
    Well Im now 5 days in to the PreOp diet and feel MUCH better! Thanks for all the support and advise! Focusing on my goal! Recording all my favorite TV shows so I can zoom through those tempting food commercials! Lol! My first day was kind of miserable. It was my day off from work and I was home, with not much to do but think about food! Once I git back to work I found my routine and am feeling much more in control. Wonderful thing is Im not really hungry. 800 calories and not hungry! I've found some of the food products really pretty good and am sticking to those. Feels kind of decadent to have a hot cup of Raspberry Hot Cocoa before going to bed! What I really found the first 3 days was that most of my "hunger" was really just mental hunger not physical. Once I started to get a grip on that, my fear of failing began to dissipate... I know I can do this. I know I will still have moments of struggle and my share of mess ups, but as a MFP friend recently said, my mistakes do not define me!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Well Im now 5 days in to the PreOp diet and feel MUCH better! What I really found the first 3 days was that most of my "hunger" was really just mental hunger not physical. Once I started to get a grip on that, my fear of failing began to dissipate... I know I can do this. I know I will still have moments of struggle and my share of mess ups, but as a MFP friend recently said, my mistakes do not define me!

Great attitude! With that mindset, you *will* succeed!

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I know I can do this. I know I will still have moments of struggle and my share of mess ups, but as a MFP friend recently said, my mistakes do not define me!

Great attitude! You can do this! And no, our mistakes do not define us! With your attitude you will be fine!!

Pat

• Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I know I will still have moments of struggle and my share of mess ups, but as a MFP friend recently said, my mistakes do not define me!

HELL YEAH!! Way to hang in there and turn things around!!