Struggling to drink even half liquid intake. Suggestions?

Options
I got my 'sleeve' on April 9, 2014 and have lost 105 pounds already but I have lost only 13 in the past 4 months. I know I am not drinking enough water and it makes me nausious.

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Does Crystal Light or other drink mixes help at all? What about protein drinks?
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've started brewing herbal tea and throwing it in the fridge. I've gone from 8 cups to 16 cups a day.
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    pcoppock wrote: »
    I've started brewing herbal tea and throwing it in the fridge. I've gone from 8 cups to 16 cups a day.

Whoa my gosh! That's amazing! 16 cups a day...congrats :) Don't let the pendulum swing too much further that way...you don't want to strip your body of those precious nutrients.
    I got my 'sleeve' on April 9, 2014 and have lost 105 pounds already but I have lost only 13 in the past 4 months. I know I am not drinking enough water and it makes me nausious.

Have you tried varying the temperature of the water. Pre-surgery I would only drink chilled water. I found now that I prefer room temperature water best. Maybe even drinking it hot with a lemon would help too.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I also no longer drink water "iced". I lke it cold from the tap, but that's about it. I also drink Sparkling Ice. It's a flavored water, with zero calories and most important for me, zero sodium. However, it is carbonated so I have to shake the carbonation out of it. Carbonation bothers my stomach. For me, I prefer to drink coffee and I find if I don't limit my coffee intake I won't get my water in. Coffee doesn't count as water in case you wondered. Look at what you are drinking. You might need to limit something else to get your water in.
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I thought decaf coffee counted as water? Not that I have more than a cup a day, but I had heard decaf could be counter towards water.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I would never make it if I had to drink plain water. I use Crystal Lite a lot. If you don't like sweet, maybe you could try some warm broth? I think that would still count as liquid, just maybe a few more calories. Do you like milk--maybe a couple glasses a day of skim to help change things up. Good Luck!!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ive never been a coffee drinker but why couldn't someone count this as their liquids?
    Its made with water, similar to the liquids in soups...even fruits have liquid in them such as watermelon :confused:
  • rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It is because of the Caffeine which is a natural diuretic. Decaf however is ok and does count towards you water intake. But I say this and some one will tell you NO! So depends on your doctor or surgeon! Doesnt hurt to ask them. I stopped drinking regular coffee a while back do to my BP being so high. I dont even notice the difference now. Never thought I would ever say that but I just did.
    Obviously water is just plain better. but I do love my coffee!
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    Ive never been a coffee drinker but why couldn't someone count this as their liquids?
    Its made with water, similar to the liquids in soups...even fruits have liquid in them such as watermelon :confused:

This is a general rule the deal is about chemistry an how available the water is to your body. As you pointed out several things have water in them, but your digestive system has to separate the water from the other stuff before the water is available to be used by your body.

Randy RN
  • jcfelbi
    jcfelbi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Can't tell you how helpful this site is...was trolling around here, just browsing responses and realized that I was also really struggling to get the water down and had been making it like before (iced). Post surgery, it had a really "metallic" taste and I was baffled by why I suddenly hated water so much -- changed the temperature and it made a big difference! Who knew??!! So now am actually drinking hot water with lemon in the morning and NON-iced water throughout the day...much better : ) So thanks!!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So it has more or less to do w/ how youre drinking it (decaf or regular) as to how you can count is as your liquid/water :wink: