A month with no loss

Options
momsnewride
momsnewride Posts: 21 Member
I had my surgery in October and have lost 46 pounds however I've gone almost the last 30 days with no loss at all. I've been pretty good about what I'm eating and how much so I'm kind of stummped. I'm wondering if this is "normal"? What's the longest stretch of time you went without any loss.

Replies

• Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I am not sure if the 46 you lost was a mixture of pre and post op or just post. If so, that is a LOT to lose in 3 months. Yes, it is unusual to have a whole month with no loss, but how much do you have to lose total?

What are your daily calories?

Are you getting at least 60-70g of protein per day?

You say you are "pretty good" with your eating... are you drinking any of your calories (high calorie shakes or coffee drinks) or are you eating refined flour/sugar?

Are you using artificial sweetener (some people find this stalls them)?

• momsnewride
    Options
    The 46 pounds is post op and I will be happy at 100 lb. loss total but realistically I should be hoping for 120 lb loss. Dr. told me I need 80-90 gm. protein a day which I meet about 5 days a week, I find on the weekends I'm not so diligent. I'm not drinking my calories but have had too many refined sugars and I do use artificial sweeteners as well. I had no idea about the sweeteners, thanks for the information. I will cut it out this week and see if it makes a difference.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Did do what Thaeda said. Sugars and carbohydrates (that turn into sugars) artificial sweeteners that trick the body into responding like it was sugars, And all have a negative impact on our weight loss. Hidden sugars like hi fructose corn syrup are totally forgot by many of us. We need to be diligent with reading the label.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    That's supposed to be diddo got to love spell check LOL
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    The 46 pounds is post op

If you lost that much post op, that is GREAT. Ok, so not loss lately-- but it could be your body adjusting after losing so much. Also, great idea to get rid of the refined sugar and cut back on artificial sweetener. Keep us posted on how it goes!
  • Patty2point0
    Patty2point0 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I suggest a check in with the nutritionist as well.
  • momsnewride
    Options
    All great advice. Thank you so much.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've totaly been there - a month with no loss- it hit me at about six months out. Make a change, either excercise more, go up by about 50 kal a day, or change some of your staple foods and you'll see some movment on the scale.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Don't forget water. If you are not getting your water in daily, that slows and sometimes adds to the stall. Everything else said here is right on track. Back to basics will get you where you want to be.
  • nkac1980
    nkac1980 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck for the last 6 weeks. I'm taking everyones ideas! 7months out-Boo
  • momsnewride
    Options
    So this week I cut out my refined sugar, cut back on my carb intake and yay I saw the scale move 4lbs in 3 days. This motivated me to start moving as well. It wasn't easy but I am the battle over my mind is just as hard as the weight loss battle. I went to the pre op classes, I took in the information but in the back of my mind thought the pounds would just melt off. How could they not right? It still boils down to the two things I couldn't do before surgery, Diet and exercise. Ironic! lol. Thanks everyone for the tips and support!
  • pplaroux
    pplaroux Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for mentioning the artificial sweeteners. I'll have to lay off for a while and see if it helps.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »
    Yes, it is unusual to have a whole month with no loss, but how much do you have to lose total?

Are you using artificial sweetener (some people find this stalls them)?

I haven't lost anything in months. I still have over a hundred pounds to lose. My protein powder has artificial sweeteners in it. Should I just use unflavored protein? I didn't know artificial sweeteners could cause a stall.

• Sociologist2013
    Sociologist2013 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been 1-3 pounds of 145 since 7 months out....13 1/2 out.
  • Patty2point0
    Options
    Hi Folks, to those of you who have broken a plateau: What do you consider keeping your carbs low under 100g, under 50g, under 30g? My nut recommends at least 100 G of carbs a day. I recently broke a long plateau but looks like I just moved into a second one. Nut has me on 1200 calls a day, I get ave 70-90 g of protein daily, exercise 4-5 days a week and still no loss…. But I do feel much better than when i was eating 800-900 calories a day - felt like I was dying.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My surgeon uses 30g carbs max (which can be very challenging).
  • Patty2point0
    Options
    My surgeon uses 30g carbs max (which can be very challenging).

Wow congrats on being able to follow that! That level should keep you in ketosis constantly.