New Member Intro : Bill Screen

Options
billscreen
billscreen Posts: 13 Member
Hello all,

I'm new to the group and wanted to introduce myself. Here's some info on my running background.

Did you compete in high school cross country or track?
Ran 600m indoor, but trained regularly trained with XC team.

Did you compete in college cross country or track?
No

How many years have you been running?

Lifetime personal records

Best times from track or certified road races:
15k (9.3 mi): 1:02:51
1/2 Marathon (13.1 mi): 1:30:24
Full Marathon (26.2 mi): 3:23:16

What running events do you train for or what are your training goals?
I primarily train for full marathons; this year I'm planning to run an ultra marathon (50k) and am training to qualify for the Boston Marathon.

Consider your training over the past 6 months to one year. How many miles a week do you typically run when not injured and consistently running?
35-45 miles/week

What does your typical week of running look like?

Monday: No running. Rest day
Tuesday: 6-10 mile tempo
Wednesday: Mid-long (8 - 14) @ easy pace
Thursday: Speed / Interval workout
Friday: Progressive run (5 - 10 miles)
Saturday: 5 miler @ easy pace
Sunday: Long run of 14 miles to 23 miles (w/hills) - Pace varies from LSD to MP.

How does your training vary over the course of a year?
Summer is more focused on shorter races and speed. Winter is longer races and a focus on speed/endurance.

Do you take recovery or down time?
Not really, I just reduce my weekly mileage and/or intensity.

Do you peak for certain races?
Yes. Full marathons.

How much sleep do you usually get at night?
6-8 hours

What time of day do you normally run?
In the morning, between 5am and 7am.

What injuries have hampered your training over the past year?
Piriformis

Do you take any dietary or medical supplements?
Men's multivitamin (once a wk); Krill Oil (daily); BSN Syntha-6 protein shake after hard runs

What type of running shoes do you prefer?
Asics Gel-Kayano 20, Adidas Adizero Adios Boost (flats)

Do you race in a different type of running shoe?
Flats for anything under a 1/2 marathon.

Do you use weight training?
Yes. I go to the gym twice a week and focus on core, gluts, hips, and back. I do chest and arms too, but prefer using body weight exercises. Planks, glut bridges, and monster walks are some of my favorite exercises.

Do you stretch?
Always. Dynamic stretching before and static stretching afterwards. I spend at least 5 minutes getting my body 'warmed up' for a training run, and 5 minutes to cooling down. In the sport of distance running, it's very important to take precautionary measures to stay injury free.

What running resources do you like that would benefit someone else?

Here's a good set of videos that I think most runners need to see at least once

1. dr greg wells running-science/

2. 5K Training Program

3. Training Technique

4. runnersworld.com

How has your training changed over the years?
I use far more running gadgets and apps :smile:
This biggest change has come in the form of education; I train smarter than I did a few years ago. I used to go out and run to 'get some miles in' or run some variable distance depending on how I was feeling. Nowadays, it's all about quality runs. When I'm training for an event each run needs to have a purpose, a predefined distance and goal pace range, all of which are based on a training plan (i.e Pfitzinger, FIRST, Daniels, Hanson, etc..).

What examples can you give of specific training methods, and what were the results?
Running Yasso 800s were instrumental is helping me shave 4 minutes of my 15k PR in just 1 year.

What advice do you have for beginning or experienced runners to help them with their training? Realize that training runs are only one dimension to improving one's results. Diet, cross-training, and recovery are all critically important dimensions too. However, I think the most important dimension to improving at distance running is consistency. Also, if you're new to the sport, join a local running club and work with the coach (or the more experienced runners) to make sure you have the right equipment, and run with good form.

Replies

• DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you! Great intro. You look like you know what you're doing and I look forward to your insights. :)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Great intro! Looks like you have a lot of learning you will be able to share with those of us less experienced.

As a fellow Gel Kayano fan, I'm curious to know if there are any other shoes you've found to be as good but for less than the £120 price tag?

I'd also be interested to hear how your marathon times have progressed over your 13 years?
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I've run in several pairs of the Kayano's for 18 months, but just got a pair of the Adidas Adistar Boost. I got fitted at my local running store and bought my first pair for $170 US, but ordered the 2nd pair online yesterday for $109 US. They tend to run 1/2 - 1 full size smaller so I'd try them on before ordering them. Everyone i've talked with think the boost material is sent from heaven and after running about 20 miles I tend to agree. We have a few local runners who have logged upwards of 1000 miles on a pair before they started to break down.
  • billscreen
    billscreen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the warm welcome.

@sjb74uk‌
    I went through 7 or 8 pairs of the ASICS Men's GEL-Nimbus 14s and really enjoyed the responsiveness of the shoe. I don't switch up shoes that often, but last year when I made the jump to Kayano 20, I haven't looked back; the shoe itself is not really leaps and bounds better than the Nimbus 14, but the cushioning in the Kayano 20 is what makes it so amazing.
    You should be able to find the Gel-Nimbus 14 for less than £100, but I can't guarantee they'll have it in-stock, or in your size.

I've only been running full marathons for 4 years - and not all races have gone as planned :smile: Here's a link to my Athlinks profile:
    athlinks.com/athletes/113122586?category=Marathon
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Nice one Bill - thanks