Ketogenic or Modified Atkins for Seizures anyone?

Options
Hello! I started with Ketogenic diet last week. I want to avoid surgery. I had one seizure since I started a couple weeks ago and I feel better already. Has anyone out there stayed on this diet for a long time?

Replies

• papalito
    papalito Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi I just started the traditional Atkins diet 1/1 as a trial run. I meet the neurologist on 2/13 who'll tell me what officially do. I'm trying to think of questions for her. The one that's been bothering me most is general RDA info especially fats to get a better feel for the pie chart
  • RevivingOphelia
    RevivingOphelia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I discussed with my neurologist, and he said the ketogenic diet has been shown to work to help control seizures, but the moment you stray, you are at risk for a seizure. You then have to start the whole process over again. Mine is generalized epilepsy, which makes it harder to control with just the ketogenic diet.

Since mine is under control with meds, albeit I'm on two, I decided to stay on meds. I adjusted my diet to low carb & sugar. I also knew I needed to lose weight/get healthy to help myself too.

GL on your seizure free journey!
  • chanderson817
    chanderson817 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Since starting Keto I have gone from approx. 15 partial seizures/week to approx. 1/week. I, by definition, am not on a Keto regiment, I am on a Modified Atkins Diet (MAD). This allows for unlimited protein. I have also noticed weight loss which is a plus.

My neurologist said that we will adjust/eliminate one of my 3 meds if the frequency continues. This is the motivation I need to stick to the diet. So far it's working.