My Consultation with the Plastic Surgeon

Options
garber6th
garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
Last week I had a consultation with the plastic surgeon. I want to have skin removal on my stomach, tummy tuck, arms, breasts, and thighs done. He wanted to focus on what he thought would make the biggest difference and what would be partially covered by insurance, which is the stomach. He wants to do a panniculectomy (skin removal) with extended abdominoplasty (tummy tuck/muscle tightening) and belt lipectomy (lower body lift). Basically I will be cut both horizontally and vertically, and tightened and lifted. Trust me, I need all of this. I am hoping to have it done this summer.

So here are some things that people asked me about -

Cost - approximately $20,000 without insurance. I was told my insurance would cover $8,000 to $10,000 and I would have to cover the rest. I am currently waiting for the insurance approval. The insurance covers skin removal only. They said occasionally it's denied, but usually with an appeal it gets approved.

Recovery - The surgeon said he had a tummy tuck and he went back to work after a week, but took it easy. He said I can resume exercise (excluding abdominal exercise) after two weeks. Drains have to stay in for about 4 weeks. They want you up and walking around as soon as possible.

Scarring - there will be scars, but the sutures are under the skin so the scars won't be as bad as some scars, and he said mine would heal fine. He also said that the surgery will eliminate a lot of my stretch marks.

Other information -

Skin removal on my arms - surgeon said normally he would have to do liposuction first but he won't have to in my case. The arm surgery also removes the overhang that some of us ladies have when we wear a bra. I plan to do this surgery as soon as I can after the stomach surgery.

Skin removal on thighs - surgeon said he would have to do liposuction in advance of this surgery and some will have to be done during the surgery. He said I could have the lipo on my thighs before the stomach surgery if I want to and I might just do that.

Fat transfer - I asked the surgeon if he could do fat transfer to my breasts and he said that it really doesn't give the desired effect. He said I would do better with lift/implants. They do fat transfer to plump up the face sometimes.

Weight of excess skin - he said usually he removes 5-10 lbs of skin during this surgery, but I might have more than that, and he said after the surgery many of his patients also end up losing about another 5 lbs.

I am sure I left out some things, if I remember, I will add them! It was a pretty interesting consultation though!

Replies

• loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    So, the $20K would be just for the stomach part, not the arms, thighs or breasts, correct? The recovery period is not as much as I might have imagined. Did he say how long you would have to be in the hospital?
  • garber6th
    Options
    The 20K is just for the stomach part. I need extensive work though, not everyone will need all of that. He said I will only be in the hospital one night.
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This Summer!!! YAY!!! That is so exciting :) I don't know if you would know this, but I read that some insurance companies won't approve the skin removal unless you have maintained your weight loss for at least 12 months. Was this information given to you at your consultation?
  • garber6th
    Options
    I have maintained for about 3 months and the surgeon didn't even mention it, so I am hoping he thinks that is long enough!
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic! That was one of my concerns was having to wait an entire year before being able to even get approved. Again, congrats on the good news! I'm sure it is a very rewarding feeling to get to that level.
  • claresta23
    claresta23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Great information
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great info. Did he say a price for the arms? Did he say most insurances would pay for the skin removal?
  • garber6th
    Options
    He didn't go over the cost of having my arms done, he was just focusing on the other procedures. Most insurances pay for skin removal on the stomach, but not the muscle tightening. This particular surgeon doesn't do skin removal without muscle tightening because he said you just don't get good results. He said the muscles stretches out just like the skin, and it doesn't have as much elasticity so it doesn't bounce back, even with exercise.
  • SkinnyDevi
    SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thorough post. Being 3 days post-op, I probably should set up a little savings account now to start saving up. LOL
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I suppose if you have to wait and maintain before getting the stomach one, you could go ahead and get the arms done while you're waiting since insurance won;t cover it anyway.

So excited for you and crossing fingers it goes as you want.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I never did get a big stomach so it is getting tighter with exercise., I carry my weight in hips, thighs and arms. Now that I am close to goal I have the batwing arms and saggy butt and thighs. I really want to do my arms. I checked out some prices and it ranges from 3000 to 8000 for plastic surgeon and does not include hospital or anesthesia. Once I get to goal and stay there for a while I will do the same as you and get a estimate.
    Good luck to you! please let us know how this goes.