PCOS and TTC-Diet change!

Options
txlawyer87
txlawyer87 Posts: 14 Member
I'm 27yo, and have been on MFP for 3 weeks after TTC for 1.5 yrs and being on 3 rounds of Clomid, Glucophage, etc., only to have my gyno tell me I need in vitro. I gained 100lbs over the last 4 years, and I've had PCOS as long as I can remember. I've never had a period on my own (always need bc pills) and don't ovulate. I'm doing the diet thing as a last resort, because quite frankly, I don't want to do in vitro! 3 weeks after starting MFP, I've lost 17 lbs and, for the first time in my life, got my period without any help from any pills!!! Eating healthy CAN work, I never thought it'd be possible. Now, I'm looking for more MFP friends to keep me motivated and on track...feel free to add me and we can be each other's accountabilibuddy!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for getting healthy for yourself!
  • emma_louise_23
    Options
    txlawyer87 wrote: »
    I'm 27yo, and have been on MFP for 3 weeks after TTC for 1.5 yrs and being on 3 rounds of Clomid, Glucophage, etc., only to have my gyno tell me I need in vitro. I gained 100lbs over the last 4 years, and I've had PCOS as long as I can remember. I've never had a period on my own (always need bc pills) and don't ovulate. I'm doing the diet thing as a last resort, because quite frankly, I don't want to do in vitro! 3 weeks after starting MFP, I've lost 17 lbs and, for the first time in my life, got my period without any help from any pills!!! Eating healthy CAN work, I never thought it'd be possible. Now, I'm looking for more MFP friends to keep me motivated and on track...feel free to add me and we can be each other's accountabilibuddy!

Omg well done, i am in a similar situation i am 26 been with partner for 12 years and had 2 miscarriage at age of 18 and 19 then was diagnosed with pcos, I started to put weight on with depression etc after miscarriages and then periods stopped all together about 4 years ago, just on metformin was prescribed it years ago but as i never thought about kids seriously i didnt take it as it made me ill, so been taking about 2 weeks now and symptoms have subsided we are currently ttc although we have never used contraception ever and nothings happened since the miscarriages 18-19 yrd old, trying to eat low carb/GI and hope with the metformin this brings on a cycle, feel free to add me hun and good luck :)

• fun_girly
    fun_girly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well done! I have a 7 yr old concieved on clomid, have been trying for last 5 yrs to concieve again no contraception etc nothing's happend and over the years depression and just eating excessively I have gained a lot of weight which I need to lose if I want to even be considered for fertility treatment. Hopefully on this weight loss journey we all can encourage each other :)
  • oct2889
    Options
    ♡♡ You have given me some hope and motivation. I am 25 and have PCOS. I had a miscarriage last month and was very depressed.. trying to lose weight to see if that will help. ♡♡
  • valerieuk1708
    valerieuk1708 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm in a same boat and would love to stay in touch (feel free to add me!) ... I'm 30 with Pcos and need to lose like lots to even have a chance at clomid.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    oct2889 wrote: »
    ♡♡ You have given me some hope and motivation. I am 25 and have PCOS. I had a miscarriage last month and was very depressed.. trying to lose weight to see if that will help. ♡♡

Hang in there! WE were told we wouldnt have kids at all, both hubby and I have issues, but got a surprise this last August and had a miscarriage in September at 7 weeks. I am still very depressed and upset because I am 38, so the likely hood of lightening striking us twice is astronomically low. But You are young and if you get your PCOS under control with diet and weightloss you will have a much better chance of getting pregnant and it sticking.

I dont know if they tested you to see why you miscarried but many PCOS women, including me, are estrogen heavy and progesterone light. Progesterone is needed to keep the baby stuck to the uterine wall. So if you are low in progesterone, it wont stay unless you supplement progesterone. There are herbal remedies out there that you can use, if you arent using fertility treatments like clomid, including Vitex and/or progesterone creams that help balance things out. Inositol also helps with egg health and keeps your insulin stable, as high insulin can also lead miscarriage.

Just tossing some ideas out there for those still in the baby making time of their life. Nothing hurts worse than finally getting your wish of being pregnant just to lose it, especially if you lose it over low progesterone, which is treatable, like I did.

• MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant at 38 when the fertility clinic doc decided to put me on a "hypercycle" - shots in the uterus. I'm terribly squeamish but I can honestly say it wasn't as bad as it sounds. Once the pregnancy took, the absolute first thing they did was prescribe progesterone suppositories that I took for the duration of the pregnancy.
  • Journeywithyou
    Journeywithyou Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and have 3 children. My first was just a matter of perfect timing coming off of bc pills. Our second we tried for 5 years before seeking fertility help. An additional year of various fertility treatments with no success, depressed decided to stop treatment. It was then I became pregnant. It was a few years after her birth I was tested for PCOS and received my dx. Placed on Metformin regulated my cycles. Thinking with all the challenges we had conceiving with our second we thought our family was complete. We were blessed and surprised with our third and last child our son. My children are 21, 13, and 8.
  • LO1421
    LO1421 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Your stories are so inspirational! I am 31 and diagnosed with PCOS about 3 years ago when ttc. I've had 5 failed iui. Dr. Started talking about ivf and i was too depressed to try again. On jan. 3rd I decided I wanted to try and get control of my pcos on my own. I've lost 14.2 lbs so far and have notice lots of changes in my body due to eating healthy and working out. I also take 4g of inisotil. I haven't regained my period yet but I'm hoping like you I will. I'd love to be friends so we can support each other through our journey.