Childrens' Height

Options
2»

Replies

• BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I am 5'10" and hubby is about the same, maybe .5" taller, lol. Our 7 year old daughter is about 4'4", which I think is taller than average, but not enough to really stand out yet. It's tough because we have a son who is adopted from Korea and is very much short for his age, so we have to balance the message of "being tall is wonderful and being short is wonderful too" lol. And let's just say our son wasn't happy at all when his "little" sister passed him up in height.
  • naseak
    naseak Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" hubby is 5'6" our 15 yr old was taller then him by his 10th birthday and is now 6'2" and still growing. Our daughter is 12 and just about ready to pass her dad. I don't think she will be as tall as me.. although she gets mad when I say that;)
  • lovemybabes9709
    lovemybabes9709 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My 15 year old is 5' 10" now. She is an athlete so she is currently "underweight" and is pretty bony. She hates it, really! She would love to be curvier and add some weight. My husband is 6' 2" and I am 6ft. My baby brother is 6' 7" and my husbands brothers are over 6' 5" so I figure we will have huge kids. :)

My toddler is 3 and already almost 4 ft tall. Everyone asks if she is 6 or 7... LOL...
  • Naturally_EB
    Naturally_EB Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 7 years old and 4'5" now. I'm certain she'll be tall when she's older. I just hope she embraces her height when she gets older because there is nothing wrong with being tall and beautiful:smile:
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    My boy is 1 month away from his 6th bday & is now just over 4.5 feet tall. He is all legs & needs an entire new summer wardrobe!
  • tracywaz
    tracywaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have two kids- I don't know how tall they are, but I do see where they stack up next to their classmates. I'm 5-11 and husband is 6-6.
    My son is 8 and is pretty dang small. He was a preemie (11 weeks early). He also doesn't eat, which could explain why he's small- both height and very underweight. I hope he's just a late bloomer, although I wouldn't be totally surprised if he ends up under 6-0. My husband's grandpa was a short skinny guy, so it's not completely out of the question.

My daughter is very tall for a five year old. In the 95%. I'm betting she'll be 6 feet, plus, with an athletic build, if she stays active (she's built like her dad). My kids are almost the same height and weight, although they are built differently. I've been asked if they are twins.

I remember how hard it was being a tall tween/teen girl. I was so aware that I was a head and shoulders above almost everyone else. I walked hunched over. I hated my height! Of course when I left the small town in Iowa where I grew up, I learned that I wasn't a freak of nature (and I got a lot of attention from men in my 20's!). But of course you can tell a teenage girl til you're blue in the face that being tall can be an asset-- but she will not believe it because her little world is the only thing she really cares about.

I'm doing my best to build confidence in my daughter. I hope it takes.
  • redheadedgal
    redheadedgal Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My 16 year old son is 6'3 and my 12 year old daughter is 5'7. I am 6'3 and their dad is 6'1, I don't know what' they'll top out at.
  • strawberryjellybaby
    strawberryjellybaby Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have two kids- I don't know how tall they are, but I do see where they stack up next to their classmates. I'm 5-11 and husband is 6-6.
    My son is 8 and is pretty dang small. He was a preemie (11 weeks early). He also doesn't eat, which could explain why he's small- both height and very underweight. I hope he's just a late bloomer, although I wouldn't be totally surprised if he ends up under 6-0. My husband's grandpa was a short skinny guy, so it's not completely out of the question.

My daughter is very tall for a five year old. In the 95%. I'm betting she'll be 6 feet, plus, with an athletic build, if she stays active (she's built like her dad). My kids are almost the same height and weight, although they are built differently. I've been asked if they are twins.

I remember how hard it was being a tall tween/teen girl. I was so aware that I was a head and shoulders above almost everyone else. I walked hunched over. I hated my height! Of course when I left the small town in Iowa where I grew up, I learned that I wasn't a freak of nature (and I got a lot of attention from men in my 20's!). But of course you can tell a teenage girl til you're blue in the face that being tall can be an asset-- but she will not believe it because her little world is the only thing she really cares about.

This. My dad is 6 foot 1 and my mum is 5 foot 7. Somehow I ended up 5 foot 11 and my brother is 6 foot 5! I reached my full height aged 11 and it was miserable. I also have huge feet, size 10 UK (12 US). My mum tried to tell me it didn't matter about my height and of course being a teenager I never listened. Only now do I appreciate the attention and high metabolism that was gifted to me alongside these things.

I think the hardest part was definitely the feet and the lack of nice shoes though.
  • peachypie1984
    peachypie1984 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 year old daughter and a 19 month old son. My 4 year old girl is 45" and my 19 month old boy is 34" (I think?). My daugher is set to me my height (you're supposed to double their height on their 2 year old bday and that's their adult height... making her 5'10 just like me!). She has long legs just like me too! My son is built more like my hubby (who is 5'11) with shorter legs and a long torso. He's in the 75th percentile for height while my daughter was always (and still is) in the 100th. Looks like she's my clone and my son is my hubby's!
  • My goodness, these children are gigantic! My son Dj is 4'6 and in seventh grade, he takes after me in height, I'm 37 years old and 4'7. But my other son Dakota is in the fourth grade and 5'4, he takes after his father who is 6'4.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Well this is the totally tall women group so stands to reason our kids will be tall too :wink:
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    tracywaz wrote: »

Just read through the great posts in this thread. Thanks for sharing ladies. Love what tracywaz has to say here.

I'm 5'9" and my husband is 6'3". We have a 4yo and a 2yo - both girls. Our 4yo is already over 4 feet tall. She towers over her preschool classmates, but I tell her all the time how awesome it is to be tall and strong. Our game is guessing how old she will be when she's taller than mommy, and she loves to stand next to me and see how far she comes up on me (right now, the top of her head is up to my third rib - crazy!). Sometimes I wonder how this happened, but I shouldn't, cause the kid is just an eating, sleeping machine, and always has been. Her little sister is taller than average (90+ % since birth), but she's pretty thin. Unlike her sis, she's not much for eating / sleeping, and it seems to have slowed her growth pattern. I sometimes wonder if she'll catch up. Per the "double their age at 2" our oldest is on track to being 6'5", but I'll believe it when I see it.

However tall they end up being, I am so deeply committed to being 100% positive that being a tall girl / woman is really great. Their awesome dad will be a great help with that too. Someone above mentioned opportunities, which made me smile. When our eldest was born, my husband's college rowing coach messaged him to ask what MY height to arm length ratio is. Ha! Already thinking about future recruits ;) I just hope both girls will find positive outlets for their energies and the advantages that coming with being taller than most of the crowd.
  • OrganicCat
    Options
    My dad was 5'8" most of his adult life UNTIL I hit 5'9". That's when he became 5'9" too :wink: . . . or so he claimed.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Im 5'10" , kiddos dad is also 5'10 and my daughter is a little pip-squeak at 5'3" lol!!! She was always the tallest in her class up until she got to middle school and then she stopped growing...she hit her final height the same time I did, when she was 12. Really thought she would pump out a few extra inches, but shes 18 now, so no dice there.

Shes actually around the same height as most of the women in my family. On both my mom and dads side, the women range from 4'10 to 5'3.. I'm the giantess among them. My family jokes that if I didn't look exactly like my dad, rumours would be flying LoL

• blueriotgirl
    blueriotgirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Im 5'11 my hubs is 6'3 we have 2 boys. Our oldest is 13 he is 5'5 (about to hit a growth spurt cause he is eating us out of house and home) the dr projected his hright to reach 6'3 and our lil guy is 3 yrs old and 39 inches tall. I am also the 2nd tsllest female in my family. My cousin gina is 6'4 and im taller than both my parents ( mom 5'2 and dad 5'10)and both my sisters ( 5'4 and 5 ft even).