How can I break the night time feeding frenzy

Options
njjswim
njjswim Posts: 178 Member
I eat salads for lunch and drink water, coffee and tea. But when I get home cook dinner and have to get my kids where they need to be, settled, homework, ready for bed I get into this eating frenzy of whatever is at home like the sky is the limit. I know I am tired and can't take a nap because I have to get them situated. I sometimes can avoid this by running to the gym at night or drinking tea but I know I have to loose these excess pounds. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I find mentally shutting down the kitchen works really well for me. The only thing I'm allowed to have is water.

Learn to dissociate eating and getting your kids situated. Always ask yourself, why am I eating thing, before you take a bite. If you are doing it because it's what you do, you're bored or stressed, then it's time to stop. If you are truly hungry, then go ahead and eat. But always take those 5 seconds to ask yourself why, even if it doesn't stop you right away. Learning a new behavior takes time, so have patience with yourself!
  • jdancer369
    Options
    I decided to eat differently at night. I want to eventually stop but know I need to step myself down. Instead of eating anything and everything, I will eat a salad. Something that is healthy that will take a while to eat that will satisfy me so i stop going back abd back for more!
  • MichaelWWoods
    MichaelWWoods Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Oh, man, is this the group for me. For some reason, when I wake up in middle of the night to use the restroom, I end up in the kitchen eating all kinds of ridiculous stuff. I can't remember when this habit started, but it has clearly added 20-30 lbs on my frame over at least 1.5 yr timeframe.

I have done two things recently that have really helped:

1. Setup my MFP daily food journal to have 2 categories for Snacks, one listed as "Snacks (6AM to 9PM)" and "Snacks (9pm to 6AM)". This has allowed me to count and keep track (like an AA type trick though I am not in AA), so I can say I have not eaten late night for XXX days. Right now, my longest streak since starting this in early February is 5 days (today). They say, it takes 14 days to break a habit, so 9 days left!

2. Water, Water, Water... Normally, they say don't drink a lot of water at night bc it will keep you up using the restroom. This seemed smart since I also used the "bathroom" as an excuse to end up in the kitchen. In any case, the flip is true... I drink a ton of water so I don't have that "need food" feeling while hanging out with my wife from after the kid goes to bed until I hit the sack around 10pm or so. So this gets me into bed w/o any real food after dinner. When the bathroom calls, I take my water bottle (from next to the bed) into the bathroom as a mental note that solves the reason for going to the kitchen... I just need a glass of water!

We'll see if it works!

Also, if anyone from this group would like to Friend me, I am totally open to it. I joined MFP in January (2012), and I am slowly building my support group. (Username - Woodsycalo)
  • jdancer369
    Options
    Those are great tricks, set ups, and goals WoodsyCalo!
  • MichaelWWoods
    Options
    I decided to eat differently at night. I want to eventually stop but know I need to step myself down. Instead of eating anything and everything, I will eat a salad. Something that is healthy that will take a while to eat that will satisfy me so i stop going back abd back for more!

How are things going? My wife and son recently made a HUGE batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies. Late night temptations dance in my head, and my late night streak is now at 1 night as I rebuild after failing the night before.

Anyone else have food that if you know is in the fridge/kitchen seem to migrate to the kitchen to eat it late night?
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Good idea with the salad I will try that. Something has to improve becuase my waist cannot grow much bigger. I am fine at work most days and I am working out but I am such a whimp at night and snack before bedtime....This has been going on since Christmas and now my cloths are tight...
  • roojyrooroo
    roojyrooroo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have had enough of my nigh time eating so I am starting a challenge for myself or anyone who wants to join. Basically for me it is a habit I need to break.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3621-stop-emotional-eating-6-week-challenge
  • Lady_TDM
    Lady_TDM Posts: 16
    Options
    Great Woodsycalo! You have some great ideas! Thanks
  • Jaylaan
    Jaylaan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I have the same problem as you all do... overeating at night. I hope I can benefit from the the success stories. My brain goes wacko at night, it starts right after dinner and continues throughout the night even after I go to bed. My brain goes to work and focus on what I can eat to satisfy the craving (whether it's healthy or junk food that is available at the time). I a yo yo dieter, I put on 20+ since last year... I started exercising and dieting a week ago and I haven't lost a pound (on the contrary I put on 2 lbs.), it's very demoralizing so I started eating again. I've gone through this yo-yo dieting before but I've never experienced the weight go the opposite direction. I would appreciate any suggestions you may want to throw my way. Thanks.
  • RavenBeauty87
    RavenBeauty87 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    This sounds stupid but it has helped me (58lbs lighter) after the basic stuff is done and baby is in bed I will distract myself with anything small. Playing games on my phone, coloring books (don't laugh but it works) I've been so desperate I've grabbed a junk drawer or something and cleaned it out. If I have my hands busy I can resist. I even tell people to buy themselves a psp or some handheld game. I started to remember what I did in high school in the evening instead of eating and it was playing video games. One thing though is you said you eat a salad for lunch. I'm a vegetarian and I can't stand salads. Try having high protien for lunch. I have a jar of peanut butter at my desk, peanuts and things like that. Fiber and protien are filling (I'm sure you know that) and protien and fiber burns more calories then carbs. Not saying stop eating salads but maybe add almonds or something (if you haven't done so already)
  • MichaelWWoods
    Options
    WoodsyCalo here... Any new ideas?