pcos phentermine

Options
recently my Dr. prescribed me phentermine to help aid weightloss and improve my pcos symptoms. I have been put on metformin in the past and had no results( actually gained 10 lbs.). I am just curious if any of you have tried this medication and if so did it help? did you see results? how were the effects?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I went to look at your profile, but it's locked as private. From your picture, you don't appear to need to lose that many pounds to warrant the risks I've heard of from phentermine. Be sure you are well monitored and educated as to the problems that pop up with this. Metformin helped my body in the way I process food, but I had to drastically cut carbs for it to be effect at all. However, the best results I've had aren't medicinally related, but rather changing my way of eat (including the lowered carbs, I dramatically upped my fats to give my body another fuel source, and moderated my protein). No matter what you do, always use caution. And best of luck on your plan!
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I did Phentermine and absolutely do not recommend it. I don't know why your doctor would recommend Phentermine specifically for helping your PCOS symptoms - I've never heard of this - unless he just meant that by losing the weight, your symptoms will improve. But you can lose weight without the pill and without the negative side effects. Just a few of the negative side effects I experienced on a daily basis (and I only did it for a month...):

- Racing heart beat & heightened blood pressure (I still feel my heart "flutter" from time to time, even though I took the pill years ago)
    - Insomnia
    - Absolutely INSANE moodiness & anger issues (think PMS x10)
    - Depression (some days severe...which was scary)
    - Dry mouth & insatiable thirst
    - Increased sex drive (I know this sounds funny & doesn't sound like a "negative" effect, but trust me, it's not as pleasant as it sounds.. lol)
    - Difficulty focusing.. felt like I had ADD most days
    - Blurred vision from time to time

I know everything affects everyone differently, but when I started experiencing so many negative side effects, I did some researching and these that I experienced seemed to be pretty common, with some people experiencing some even more severe side effects. I also did this with the supervision of a doctor, which made me feel like at first that it was a safe way to approach it, but your doctor won't be there to hold your hand when you feel so depressed that you're crying uncontrollably, or so angry over the tiniest thing that you want to punch something or someone, etc. You can do this without the pill, I promise. I learned my lesson and this time around am just focusing on eating healthy/counting calories and exercising, and I'm losing weight just fine. Don't be afraid to explore some more options or get a second opinion from another doctor!
  • crystalmoore83
    crystalmoore83 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    thanks you all for the input, I plan on talking with my doctor more on my next
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    - Racing heart beat & heightened blood pressure (I still feel my heart "flutter" from time to time, even though I took the pill years ago)
    - Insomnia
    - Absolutely INSANE moodiness & anger issues (think PMS x10)
    - Depression (some days severe...which was scary)
    - Dry mouth & insatiable thirst
    - Increased sex drive (I know this sounds funny & doesn't sound like a "negative" effect, but trust me, it's not as pleasant as it sounds.. lol)
    - Difficulty focusing.. felt like I had ADD most days
    - Blurred vision from time to time

I second ALL these symptoms and I only took it for a month or two at the most years and years ago (I dont remember exactly but I think like 15 or 16 years ago). I STILL have heart palpitations from the med, all these years later. It isnt worth it and other than some short term weight loss will not help PCOS. If you want problems years later, then go for it but Id really advise losing weight using the tips you will find on this forum and forgo the drugs. :D
  • fighterdiva
    fighterdiva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Phentermine did not work well for me. But it may work great for you. I hated the way it made me feel. There were moments I literally was so angry I could flip a truck for virtually not reason. I still have a bottle in the drawer. I won't touch the stuff ever again.