Eating at a deficit?

Options
Just started this program today, I plan on following the program with 30 min of cardio on my off days. My calorie goal is set to 1364. I am 5'4 and weigh 140lbs, I got down to 125lbs eating at 1200 calories in the past but I was not lifting weights (mainly cardio and workout videos) Even at 125lbs, I was not happy with my body - sort of skinny fat… hence the lifting. But, I am hoping to lose weight while toning up. Is it bad to eat at a deficit while lifting?

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    It isn't "bad" per say but it does take some trial and error to find a balance that you are happy with.

I am going to assume that you are new to lifting (I know I know assumptions are bad...) In that case you are going to still be able to see quite a bit of progress with strength gains even in a deficit but you will also see a bit more weight on the scale from water retention as your body gets used to lifting.

You might also see some extra variation in weight day to day depending on when you lift. For me I am heavier the day after I lift by .5-1 lbs it's just the pattern, my overall trend is downward.
  • SansSerif421
    SansSerif421 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Your assumption was correct.. very new :) all the research I've done suggests eating at a maintenance or surplus. I just want to make sure I won't cause any damage. I know it will take time to gauge what's right for me, just want to get started in the right direction. Thanks!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    So far I'm on week 12 of SL and have been on a deficit the whole time. It's a challenge at times for me to get enough protein (doesn't help I have a mild allergy to dairy) but other than that, it hasn't had too much of an affect. I do eat some of the exercise calories but keep enough of a deficit either way that I've had progress on the scale pretty much the whole time thus far.

You can do it!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I eat at a deficit while doing SL. Eating enough protein is soooo important. Minimum 1g per lean body mass. My baseline calories per day are 1300 if I don't exercise (more if I do) and I can tell you right now it is a challenge to eat enough protein. My goal is 100-110g per day and I pretty much live on Quest bars, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs and straight up meat. Everything else I really have to pick and choose carefully. I'm not explicitly low carb but they are much less bang-for-the-buck and I just don't end up eating that many. A serving of pasta is a lot of calories and I am hungry 30min later.

On the upside, eating lots of protein makes me feel really full, and I am more satiated than I was back when I was quite overweight and eating 2000+ per day. I'm almost never hungry, but I eat very monotonously.

I don't know why this post was all about protein, sorry. I guess it's just because, your protein macro is super important if you are lifting, especially at a deficit.
  • threnjen
    Options
    Also with such a low baseline you should eat back exercise calories, I hope that is in your plan. So most days you will have more than 1364.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I guess I could add: the daily goal without exercise MFP gives me is 1350 for enough of a deficit to lose about 1.5 lbs a week and with a lightly active status due to where I work.

That protein is such a struggle. And I can't have things like greek yogurt and such, except on the rare occasion. But I like to save my rare dairy for treats like pizza cause mmmm. Still, I need to work on that protein too because it's hard to get over 80 grams all of the time.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    It's not bad, but just be prepared for the changes you want to see to take some real time. Putting on muscle is a slow process for women, and that slows further when also eating at a deficit. And I agree with @threnjen -- protein is your friend in this situation. Good luck!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I just want to make sure I won't cause any damage.

i don't think you'll damage yourself, exactly . . . but fwiw i was at that 1200-calorie deficit when i started sl last june, and my summer was kind of a compendium of setbacks. that could be something that would have happened regardless of my eating patterns, since you couldn't get a much noobier noob than i was. but still, i don't think the deficit helped me get the best out of my recovery days, and to be honest i didn't start making any real progress until i got bored with mfp a few months later and quit logging and monitoring my calories.

i think now that i tried way too hard to keep up with the add-5lbs rule too. i think it's a 'rule' that kind of assumes you're eating like a lifter, after all. i found it kind of hard to lift like a lifter when i wasn't eating like one.

• threnjen
    Options
    Oh dang good point Canadian. The 5lb "rule" - throw it out the window!!

I'm going slower than a lot of ladies that I see on this board as far as adding weight. I stay at a weight 2, even 3 times before going up. And if I miss a whole week lifting, I deload. With those two things my progress is sloooow on the weight additions. And I've been at this since Sep and still only do 45lbs OHP :(

I see mega results from lifting though. It's so awesome.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    I'm going slower than a lot of ladies that I see on this board as far as adding weight. I stay at a weight 2, even 3 times before going up. And if I miss a whole week lifting, I deload. With those two things my progress is sloooow on the weight additions. And I've been at this since Sep and still only do 45lbs OHP :(

Same here, been lifting since early August and my OHP ranges from 45-55lbs depending on the day. But Squats and Deads...I have been killing those!

I also lift while eating a deficit and I try really hard to get in my protein. I am currently set to 124g of protein a day. I guarantee at least 30g of it with a protein shake, but the rest is made up of chicken/fish/greek yogurt/cottage cheese. And admittedly after a while the protein intake can be hard to deal with.

I am in the last ten pounds or so of what I wanted to loose and so I haven't really lost many lbs, maybe 1 or 2 since lifting, but my body is smaller. I only lift 3x a week and truly rest on rest days.

• WestslopeCutty
    WestslopeCutty Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    OHP-- My gym has 1.5 lb magnets so that is what I use to up my weight each time. Definitely helps.
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this. I'm new to the program, just started on Friday. I'm eating at a deficit to lose weight too and wasn't sure I would be able to keep up with the program by doing so. Reading that people are taking it slower than the added 5 lbs every time is encouraging.
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Boy, I'm glad I'm not the only one not following that 5 lb rule. It wasn't too bad when I first started SL, but as the weights got heavier I just wasn't able to progress that quickly. Whew, thought it was just my age, but I see that you younger ladies experience the same thing!

Yes, protein is our friend. Sometimes my hubby laughs at the amount of meat/fish I have on my dinner plate :wink: