Body Composition Testing (DEXA Scan)

Options
rpyle111
rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
Body Scan Results and Process

Since I started losing weight in April of last year, I have been concerned and interested in fat loss versus muscle loss. Specifically, how to minimize the muscle loss that naturally comes with weight loss. While I wish I had done this earlier, I went in for a DEXA body composition analysis yesterday at a local university’s Office of Nutrition Services.

The Process

I found these folks on line through a Google search for DEXA scans and my hometown. Eastern Michigan University is about 20 minutes away from me and they offer the DEXA scan, nutritional counseling and other stuff for their staff and students, but also offer the services for a slightly higher price to the community. I scheduled the 30 minute DEXA scan only appointment through their on-line scheduling and showed up with $40. I had to take all metal off, but the scan was done fully clothed (zipper and jeans rivets don’t affect the results much, I was told).

I laid flat on the machine, which is a table with plenty of open space and a scanning arm that moves across the body about 2 feet above you. The table weighs you and does low dose X-rays at two different strengths while the arm records the data as it moves down the length of your body. The scan requires you to fit into a box on the table, which I was a little too tall for and a smidgen too wide. I had to scrunch up a little and tuck my elbows in tight, and even so my right arm went outside the line a bit. I had to lie still for about 10-12 minutes while the machine did its work, then the scan was done and the nutritionist went over the results with me. It was painless, quick and reasonably priced (for me).

The Results

The results were a three page report that reports (among other things):

Tissue weight (everything that is not bone)
Bone weight
Fat weight
Lean weight

Fat distribution (upper versus lower body)

Body Fat percentage

Bone Mineral Density

It also breaks down the different weights for each arm and leg and trunk, which might give some comparative value when I repeat the scan in 6 months or so.

The report shows the scans showing your bone structure as well as the outline or fat/lean view that I assume comes from the lower power scan:

tcgqy3iwfpof.jpg

What I got out of it

The dietitian highlighted the following to me:

Body fat was 30.9%, which was higher than I was hoping and was still 98th percentile. I have no idea how much the loose skin on my belly and thighs contributes to this number, but it is not a surprise that I still have a lot of fat. My target weight is at the top of the BMI “overweight” range, which was in part knowing that some excess skin would make it very difficult to get really low.

Fat Distribution compares the upper body (android) and lower body (Gynoid) fat. My A/G ratio was 0.85, indicating more of my fat is in the lower body. She indicated that a ratio less than 1 is better, as upper body (belly) fat is linked to more health issues.

Bone density was very high (the highest she had seen), which she said was the main benefit of being overweight. Years of over feeding really makes strong bones, coupled with the exercise inherent in carrying around so much weight.

I am looking forward to seeing what the next six months brings. I am hoping this will spur me to be more regularly at the gym lifting to try and build some more muscle, or at least lose less until I am at maintenance and increasing my calories.

I wish I had done this last year to have a starting point, and would suggest that anyone who is starting the process at least consider getting one done. I am glad I took ‘before’ pictures, because they tell a great story as well.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

Rob

Replies

• april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I've been thinking about doing this to get a better sense of what my goal weight "should" be compared to what the BMI charts say. There's a place near me that also gives you BMR and other nutritional feedback, but it's $150. I think you can also get a baseline/after scan for maybe $50 more. I'm trying to decide if that's worth the price...
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Very interesting and well worth $40. Was that your part of the cost after insurance or the total cost?
  • rpyle111
    Options
    No insurance, my doctor and the Bariatric clinic didn't have any source they could/would send me to, so I went in as a random, off the street guy. They'll do anyone for $40, students/staff for $30 and add a 1 hour nutritionist consult for an additional $10. It seems to be aimed at getting the community with a healthy eating/exercise plan and a starting data point. They really seem like nice folks trying to do good and with the University supporting due to the training opportunities for dietitian students.

I suggested to my Bariatric nutritionist that they add this as a suggestion in the bariatric information binder. I'd have done it in a heartbeat if they had pointed me there at the beginning.

Rob
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I had one just 2 months ago after a year of weight lifting and thinking my bodyfat % on my fitbit scale was broken (it read 25% for about 8 months though I could see the changes!). The DEXA said 17%... So was a nice bonus. I wish I had a baseline as well, I think I started at about 40%... I will be getting follow up ones every 2-3 months for the foreseeable future, just to hold myself accountable and catch any issues quickly before they get out of hand. I prefer this to weight anyday, as my scale clearly loses accuracy the lower fat % you get (after reading online, this seems to be the case with most of these scales - good for higher fat but no so much for lower).
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Wow, I never heard of this scan but I'm going to look online and see if I can find a provider in my area. I think it is well worth knowing this information.
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I had heard of this and had considered doing one for a more accurate reading vs the impedance scale they use at the gym. Now I've been inspired to go look more into it! If only my small city in the US didn't share the same name as a much larger Australian city things would be much easier to Google.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the post Rob. Great information, wish we had access to something here in Ontario for that kind of expense. I will have to look into it, but won't hold my breathe. lol. Our health care maybe free at the moment, but we have limited resources without a referral.
    I hope you got all the information you were looking for and that it will help you with your future goals. Good for you for looking into the scan and recommending it to your clinic, patient after you may benefit greatly. :)
  • mfpdevotee
    Options
    Anybody have a Withings WS-50 Smart Body Analyzer scale????? I just ordered one, was wondering what experience people have had. I'll let you know my take as soon as it arrives.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    That is great info Rob. I would like to look into it. Question: I am very claustrophobic, will I have an issue with it?
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Mine was very open. You lay on a table while this 2 ft wide "wand" just starts at your head and goes slowly down to your feet. Not like a cat scan or something where you are in a tube.
  • rpyle111
    Options
    Mine was exactly as Aylajane explained.

1dtjlf1gja0m.jpg
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Thanks that helps :)
  • dant957g
    dant957g Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I stumbled on your post. I'm in the Michigan area, and was debating paying $150 at UM's facility. Thanks for sharing!
  • rpyle111
    Options
    No problem! post about your experience when you go!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I just had one done at a Dexafit facility along with metabolic and cardiovascular fitness testing. It was expensive but I'm really happy that I did as I was getting a bit discouraged at not being able to shed the last 10 pounds. It turns out that I'm already at 16% body fat...even if I factor in a significant margin of error I'm in a very healthy body fat range for my height and age.

As I have osteoporosis on both sides of my family, I was also happy to see that I have above average bone density for someone 10 years my junior!

I was able to use up some FSA funds so it was money well spent.