My Hair Is Everywhere

Options
Hi Everyone, I will be 3 months post op on Feb. 12 & the dreaded nightmare of hair loss has begun. I was horrified today in the shower. As I was rinsing out the shampoo and conditioner in my hair I could feel hair on my hands. Several strands of it. I've been wiping the tub out with Lysol wipes after each shower for the past month or so but now it's right on my hands as I lather and rinse my hair.
I wasn't advised by my program to take Biotin but I have read that many people do. Does it help? If so, how high of a dose should I be taking?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this stage of hair loss.
I have about 80 grams of protein a day and about 950 - 1050 calories daily which my program is fine with. Help please.

Replies

• mfpdevotee
    Options
    hi - for hair loss, my program suggests the following supplements:

biotin - 1-3 mg per day
    fish oil - 2000 mg per day
    primrose oil - 500 mg per day
    zinc - 80 mg per day
    co-enzyme Q10 - 50 mg per day

I'm only taking biotin and fish oil at the moment....havent noticed unusual hair loss..yet!

• renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I posted about this in one of the other hair loss threads. The only thing that has ever worked for me is Journey Hair Balance capsules. I lost a ton of hair when I was on Medifast years ago. I tried biotin and every other product and nothing stopped the hair loss. But the Journey vitamins really help. It's worth a try.

https://shop.bariatriceating.com/JOURNEY-Hair-Balance-Capsules--Nutrient-Boost-for-Hair-Nails-120_p_160.html

(BTW - I had the same type of hair loss - large strands of hair coming out in the shower. I was freaking out, put the hair in a zip lock bag and brought it to my dr. She sent me for a ton of test, all came back normal)

• homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'll be a year out next month- and the loss has stopped and the growth started- probalby about two months ago- it was short lived but brutal. I take biotin every day and I don't know if helps or not- since I've taken it from the begining-but at least it makes me feel like I'm doing something about it...I also stopped shampooing so much, from daily down to twice a week- and usualy use WEN. It's expensive, and it took some getting used to- but I noticed an improvment right away. I also color my hair more frequently than I used too- makes it swell and look a bit fuller, and went to a salon and got a hair cut with a lot of short layers- that helped too- for a while I was looking like a halloween decoration. Whispy hair, pink scalp- the WEN and the haircut were worth it....
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I use biotin and take double the doseage on the side of the bottle. I also take fish oil for something else but have heard it helps the hair loss as well. I was on the biotin for about 6 months before I really saw a change and my hairdresser said she was seeing regrowth. I will also tell you that I highlight. Between the highlighing and the blow drying I was starting to thin again. So I recently went back to a shorter style I can air dry and fluff. It's already starting to feel thicker again. If you can avoid doing anything with heat styling, it does help protect it more.
  • homerismyhero
    Options
    Forgot to mention- that thinner hair in winter meant some dry, itchy, sore scalp- I started rubbing on some Tea Tree Oil- and it was instant relief. It’s not pretty- I look like a greasball- but on days I work from home I use it and just put my hair up- and it just feels so much better. Not sure it does anything from growth- but really soothes my scalp.
  • SkinnyDevi
    SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I need to make note of these recommendations too !

• relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I perm and color my hair. I got a perm last month and I go for a color next week. I'm gonna talk to my hair dresser and see if she recommends any products. She works out of her home which makes perming and colors a lot cheaper and she sells me products at cost and even goes out and buys them for me. What a doll.
    I will pick up some biotin and some fish oil.
    I have decided to try not to perm for the next few months until this settles down.
    I would like to know what the cause of this hair loss after surgery is. Does anyone know?
    I thought it was low protein but I faithfully get my 82 grams per day, especially with a Quest Bar and a Premier shake everyday.
    Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions and help and for sharing your experiences.
    I do try to wash my hair every other day. In the summer it's usually daily but this summer might be different if this doesn't settle down. :#
  • renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Weight-loss Surgery, Nutrition and Hair Loss
    by Jacqueline Jacques, ND

To view a PDF version of this article, click here.

Typically, about 90 percent of hairs are anagen (in a growth phase) and 10 percent are telogen (in a dormant or resting phase) at any given time, meaning you are usually losing a lot less hair than you are growing so you don’t have noticeable hair loss. But sometimes this can change.

A common fear and complaint of bariatric surgery patients is post-operative hair loss. While for most of us as people, our hair is an important part of our self-image and body image, it is not very important to our bodies. For this reason, nutrition can have a great impact on hair health because when forced to make a choice, the body will shift nutritional stores to vital organs like your brain and heart and away from your hair.

Hair loss has many causes. The most common type of hair loss after weight-loss surgery is a diffuse loss known medically as telogen effluvium, which can have both nutritional and non-nutritional causes.

Growing and Losing Hair
    Whether you are aware of it or not, for most of your life you are always in the process of both growing and losing hair. Human hair follicles have two states; anagen, a growth phase, and telogen, a dormant or resting phase. All hairs begin their life in the anagen phase, grow for some period of time, and then shift into the telogen phase which lasts for about 100 to 120 days. Following this, the hair will fall out.

Specific types of stress can result in a shift of a much greater percentage of hairs into the telogen phase. The stressors known to result in this shift, or telogen effluvium, include:

High fever
    Severe infection
    Major surgery
    Acute physical trauma
    Chronic debilitating illness (such as cancer or end-stage liver disease)
    Hormonal disruption (such as pregnancy, childbirth or discontinuation of estrogen therapy)
    Acute weight-loss
    Crash dieting
    Anorexia
    Low protein intake
    Iron or zinc deficiency
    Heavy metal toxicity
    Some medications (such as beta-blockers, anticoagulants, retinoids and immunizations)

Weight-loss Surgery and Hair Loss
    Nutritional issues aside, bariatric surgery patients already have two major risks of major surgery and rapid weight-loss. These alone are likely to account for much of the hair loss seen after surgery. In the absence of a nutritional issue, hair loss will continue until all hairs that have shifted into the telogen phase have fallen out. There is no way of switching them back to the anagen phase.

Hair loss rarely lasts for more than six months in the absence of a dietary cause. Because hair follicles are not damaged in telogen effluvium, hair should then regrow. For this reason, most doctors can assure their weight-loss surgery patients that with time and patience, and keeping up good nutritional intake, their hair will grow back. Discrete nutritional deficiencies are known to cause and contribute to telogen effluvium. One would be more suspicious of a nutritional contribution to post-bariatric surgery hair loss if:

Hair loss continued more than one year after surgery
    Hair loss started more than six months after surgery
    Patient has had difficulty eating and/or has not complied with supplementation
    Patient has demonstrated low values of ferritin, zinc or protein
    Patient has had more rapid than expected weight-loss
    Other symptoms of deficiency are present

Nutrition Iron
    Iron is the single nutrient most highly correlated with hair loss. The correlation between non-anemic iron deficiency and hair loss was first described in the early 1960s, although little to no follow-up research was conducted until this decade. While new research is conflicted as to the significance of ferritin as a diagnostic tool in hair loss, it has still been found that a significant number of people with telogen effluvium respond to iron therapy.

Optimal iron levels for hair health have not been established, although there is some good evidence that a ferritin level below 40ug/L is highly associated with hair loss in women.1 It is worth noting that this is well above the level that is considered to be anemia, so doctors would not be expected to see this as a deficiency.

Zinc
    Zinc deficiency has been tied to hair loss in both animal studies and human cases. There is data linking zinc deficiency in humans to both telogen effluvium and immune-mediated hair loss. Zinc deficiency is a well-recognized problem after bileopancreatic diversion/duodenal switch, and there is some indication that it may occur with other procedures such as gastric bypass and adjustable gastric banding.

In 1996, a group of researchers chose to study high dose zinc supplementation as a therapeutic agent for related hair loss2 in patients with vertical banded gastroplasty. The study administered 200 mg of zinc sulfate (45mg elemental zinc) three times daily to post-operative patients with hair loss. This was in addition to the multivitamin and iron supplements that patients were already taking. No labs for zinc or other nutrients were conducted.

Researchers found that in patients taking the zinc, 100 percent had cessation of hair loss after six months. They then stopped the zinc. In five patients, hair loss resumed after zinc was stopped, and was arrested again with renewed supplementation. It is important to note that in telogen effluvium of non-nutritional origin, hair loss would be expected to stop normally within six months. Since the researchers conducted no laboratory studies, and there was no control group, the only patients of interest here are those who began to lose hair again after stopping zinc. Thus we cannot say that zinc would prevent hair loss after weight-loss surgery, and further study would definitely be needed to make this connection.

A further note: The Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) for zinc is set at 40mg in adults. This study utilized a daily dose of more than three times that level. Not only can these levels cause gastrointestinal distress, but chronic toxicity (mostly associated with copper depletion) can start at levels of 60 mg/day. Information related to this study has made its way to many a support group and chat room – even to doctor’s offices – with the message of “high dose zinc will prevent hair loss after weight-loss surgery.” Patients should be advised that high dose zinc therapy is unproven and should only be done under supervision due to the associated risks of toxicity. A lab test to check for zinc deficiency would be best before giving a high dose such as this.

Protein
    Low protein intake is associated with hair loss. Protein malnutrition has been reported with duodenal switch, and in gastric bypass to a much lesser degree. Little is known about incidence, as only around eight percent of surgeons track labs such as total protein, albumen or prealbumen. Limited studies suggest that patients with the most rapid or greatest amounts of weight-loss are at greatest risk.3

With surgical reduction of the stomach, hydrochloric acid,4 pepsinogen5 and normal churning are all significantly reduced or eliminated. Furthermore, pancreatic enzymes that would also aid in protein digestion are redirected to a lower part of the small intestine. It is thus likely that maldigestion, rather than malabsorption, is responsible for most cases. Some studies have also implicated low protein intake.6

Research also indicates that low levels of the amino acid l-lysine can contribute to hair loss and that repletion of lysine stores may both improve iron status and hair regrowth. In a study of anemic patients with hair loss who were supplemented with 1.5 to 2 grams of l-lysine in addition to their iron therapy, ferritin levels increased more substantially over iron therapy alone.1

Many individuals believe that supplementing with or topically applying the nutrient biotin will either help to prevent hair loss or will improve hair regrowth. To date, there is no science that would support either of these presumptions. While biotin deficiency can cause dermatitis, hair loss is only known to occur in experimentally induced states in animal models or in extreme cases of prolonged diets composed exclusively of egg whites.7

Other
    Other nutrients associated with hair health include vitamin A, inositol, folate, B-6 and essential fatty acids. Hair loss can also be caused by systemic diseases, including thyroid disease and polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and is influenced by genetics.

Conclusion
    Hair loss can be distressing to bariatric surgery patients and many will try nutrition themselves to see if they can prevent it. Unfortunately, there is little evidence that early hair loss is preventable because it is mostly likely caused by surgery and rapid weight-loss.

Later hair loss, however, can be indicative of a nutritional problem, especially iron deficiency, and may be a clinically useful sign. Educating patients about the potential for hair loss and possible underlying causes can help them to make informed choices and avoid wasting money on gimmicks that may have little real value.

About the Author:
    Jacqueline Jacques, ND, is a Naturopathic Doctor with more than a decade of expertise in medical nutrition. She is the Chief Science Officer for Catalina Lifesciences LLC, a company dedicated to providing the best of nutritional care to weight-loss surgery patients. Her greatest love is empowering patients to better their own health. Dr. Jacques is a member of the OAC National Board of Directors.

References:

Rushton DH. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2002 Jul;27(5):396-404.
    Neve H, Bhatti W, Soulsby C, Kincey J, Taylor T. Reversal of hair loss following vertical gastroplasty when treated with zinc sulphate. Obes Surg. 1996 Feb, 6(1):63-65.
    Updegraff TA, Neufeld NJ. Protein, iron, and folate status of patients prior to and following surgery for morbid obesity. J Am Diet Assoc. 1981;78(2):135–140
    Segal A, Kinoshita Kussunoki D, Larino MA. Postsurgical refusal to eat: anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa or a new eating disorder? A case series. Obes Surg. 2004;14(3):353–360.
    Behrns KE, Smith CD, Sarr MG. Prospective evaluation of gastric acid secretion and cobalamin absorption following gastric bypass for clinically severe obesity.
    Dig Dis Sci. 1994 Feb;39(2):315-20.
    Moize V, Geliebter A, Gluck ME, et al. Obese patients have inadequate protein intake related to protein intolerance up to 1 year following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg. 2003;13(1):23–28.
    Mock DM. Biotin. In: Shils M, Olson JA, Shike M, Ross AC, eds. Nutrition in Health and Disease. 9th ed. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins; 1999:459-466.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I lost hair... and then it stopped about 9 months out. No supplements. No special shampoos or anything--and it started growing back-- but that is just me. YMMV. :)
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I use biotin 10,000 mcg capsules daily. I started at 2 months out and have not had any issues with hair loss. I also use a hair thickening shampoo and conditioner. Crossing my fingers that this continues to work --- I am about 20 weeks out. I also lose weight slowly and stall for several weeks at a time so that may also contribute.
  • stampndiva
    stampndiva Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I will be 3 months post op on Feb. 12 & the dreaded nightmare of hair loss has begun. I was horrified today in the shower. As I was rinsing out the shampoo and conditioner in my hair I could feel hair on my hands. Several strands of it. I've been wiping the tub out with Lysol wipes after each shower for the past month or so but now it's right on my hands as I lather and rinse my hair.
    I wasn't advised by my program to take Biotin but I have read that many people do. Does it help? If so, how high of a dose should I be taking?
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this stage of hair loss.
    I have about 80 grams of protein a day and about 950 - 1050 calories daily which my program is fine with. Help please.

• stampndiva
    stampndiva Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok, this helped me. My situation is rather different as I lost all of my hair and had to wear a wig! But it does grow back! Not only did it grow back it grew back with Shirley Temple curls and I've had bone straight hair my ENTIRE life! Crazy! But yes Biotin, B-12, C and D and more importantly it also means your not getting in ENOUGH protein! Protein, Protein, Protein!!!! It will continue to fall out until your body regulates itself. Don't fret, just be prepared and Protein, Protein, Protein!!!!
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I perm and color my hair. I got a perm last month and I go for a color next week. I'm gonna talk to my hair dresser and see if she recommends any products. She works out of her home which makes perming and colors a lot cheaper and she sells me products at cost and even goes out and buys them for me. What a doll.
    I will pick up some biotin and some fish oil.
    I have decided to try not to perm for the next few months until this settles down.
    I would like to know what the cause of this hair loss after surgery is. Does anyone know?
    I thought it was low protein but I faithfully get my 82 grams per day, especially with a Quest Bar and a Premier shake everyday.
    Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions and help and for sharing your experiences.
    I do try to wash my hair every other day. In the summer it's usually daily but this summer might be different if this doesn't settle down. :#

Hair loss is common with rapid weight loss, Hair is mostly protein. Your body is taking the protein from your hair to use elsewhere, the same is true for muscles.
  • amylhatch5
    amylhatch5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use rogaine? My SIL's NUT recommended her to use it and I am wondering if it would help.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    amylhatch5 wrote: »
    Does anyone use rogaine? My SIL's NUT recommended her to use it and I am wondering if it would help.

It certainly is a good idea

Randy RN
  • alstauch
    Options
    I'll be a year out next month- and the loss has stopped and the growth started- probalby about two months ago- it was short lived but brutal. I take biotin every day and I don't know if helps or not- since I've taken it from the begining-but at least it makes me feel like I'm doing something about it...I also stopped shampooing so much, from daily down to twice a week- and usualy use WEN. It's expensive, and it took some getting used to- but I noticed an improvment right away. I also color my hair more frequently than I used too- makes it swell and look a bit fuller, and went to a salon and got a hair cut with a lot of short layers- that helped too- for a while I was looking like a halloween decoration. Whispy hair, pink scalp- the WEN and the haircut were worth it....

What is "WEN"?
  • Patty2point0
    Patty2point0 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm 9 months out and hair is not filling in yet.... Still pretty thin in the front and I don't see any new growth. I eat about 1200 cals a day and hit my protein. Any ideas? Is it possible my hair actually died in that area ??
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I see this Infomercial ALL the time...
    http://www.wen.com/?grcid=t4-wwcofferpnlc
  • homerismyhero
    Options
    It's a fancy "cleansing conditioner" - they sell it on QVC- you use it instead of shampoo and w/ no conditioner after- it doesn't foam- but it's very gentel on your hair while still cleaning it well- I even use it after the gym and come away feeling clean. It's expensive and takes some getting used too because it does not feel like shampoo- but I really think it's more gentle on my hair/scalp and still gets it clean.