Jupiter Ascending?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Anyone seen it yet? I wanted to, but the reviews are not so good. Getting frustrated that there hasn't been a good science fiction flick since Guardians of the Galaxy...

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm busy waiting for Interstellar to come to pay per view, did you see it?
  • Francl27
    Options
    I liked Interstellar yes!
  • sofaking6
    Options
    I'm very excited to see it, I did love Guardians but I want MOAR sci-fi!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Did you see Snowpiercer? Technically that was 2013 international, but its US release was right around GOTG. Really worth it.

Still, I'd love to see more *original* SF on screen (Snowpiercer is a...loose...adaptation). There is so much awesome inventiveness happening in books right now; why can't that shift over? (I know, I know, money, risk, etc.)

Interstellar was really good.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I'll be seeing it late Saturday morning. I've read the main stream critics ripping the movie apart. I don't pay much attention to those but I did began to worry a bit when I listened to a geek centric podcast from my area of Seattle. They were blasting on how bad the movie was. It was originally supposed to be released last Summer but it got pushed back, which in the movie industry, is never a good sign. They say 99.9% of the film's budget was spent on the visuals and special effcts, the rest on everything else.
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I really want to see it, but some people have been saying that it's "space Twilight".
  • Francl27
    Options
    Did you see Snowpiercer? Technically that was 2013 international, but its US release was right around GOTG. Really worth it.

Still, I'd love to see more *original* SF on screen (Snowpiercer is a...loose...adaptation). There is so much awesome inventiveness happening in books right now; why can't that shift over? (I know, I know, money, risk, etc.)

Interstellar was really good.

Loved Snowpiercer! Although I did get out of the theater thinking 'WTF did I just see?'.

So far, people seem to think that JA is beautiful but that's pretty much it. Oh well.

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Saw it. Yeah, it's visually pretty. Story was okay. Action was above average. The romantic element was cliche and weak. I didn't feel like the two leads had any chemistry.
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Saw Seventh Son this weekend. It was okay, not horrible but not awesome. Got me my sci fi fix.
  • Silverdracos
    Silverdracos Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'll watch it just for pretty visuals, when it's on BluRay. Heaven knows I don't watch Avatar for the originality Lol. Desperately waiting for Jurassic World though, really hoping it doesn't suck.
  • oddlyotter
    oddlyotter Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yeah the plot was bloated and the action scenes were way too long. They were cool but lasted too long. A lot of unnecessary plot. The score could have been much better and the romance and character development wasn't very good. The graphics were great though and the cinematography was pretty awesome.

It's not a horrible movie but not worth current ticket prices. I'd say wait for it to come out on dvd and rent it or wait for it to come on tv.
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Jupiter Ascending was pretty and got me my sci-fi fix. I was glad I went to see it (in the am, so didn't pay full price), but I pretty much expected fanfic in space, but real purty. It delivered that. Personally, I put it into the Avatar category.... A visual feast, but empty calories.

Seventh Son was *simply terrible*. OMG. I really wanted to walk out on that.

I've had to go to TV to get more regular fixes, but catching up on Arrow and the Flash has helped.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Yeah I've been getting my fix on TV... I love 12 Monkeys!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Plea: People wanting a sci-fi fix, go watch the Amazon pilot of Man in the High Castle! It's a *really* excellent adaptation of the PKD book with a lot of promise. If the pilot gets enough good survey votes Amazon will produce the series.

Uhh...only take the survey if you like the show, please. o:)
  • popuhvcolor
    Options
    I have heard that the reviews were bad as well. Im not sure if you would consider it sci-fi, but have you guys ever watched Pacific Rim? I really liked that movie. I am thinking of watching Snow piercer now that I have heard such good comments on it.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    I started watching Pacific Rim but I was bored and nauseated after like 20 minutes. I will check out that Amazon show though!

And I am also loving 12 Monkeys - highly recommend it.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I have heard that the reviews were bad as well. Im not sure if you would consider it sci-fi, but have you guys ever watched Pacific Rim? I really liked that movie. I am thinking of watching Snow piercer now that I have heard such good comments on it.

I liked Pacific Rim but when I left the theater I did wonder 'wtf did I just see?'. Same with Snowpiercer.
  • MsDandimite
    MsDandimite Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Plea: People wanting a sci-fi fix, go watch the Amazon pilot of Man in the High Castle! It's a *really* excellent adaptation of the PKD book with a lot of promise. If the pilot gets enough good survey votes Amazon will produce the series.

Uhh...only take the survey if you like the show, please. o:)

Hey, thanks for linking this! It looks awesome.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I'll have to watch the Amazon pilot.
  • Silverdracos
    Silverdracos Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I liked Pacific Rim - Because I went in thinking "Cool, Mechs Vs Giant Monsters" I got exactly what I wanted. Snowpiercer was OK. . . found the blatant inconsistencies made it difficult to maintain the Willing Suspension of Disbelief, and the ending was a bit of a thud.