New to weight loss? Ask your questions here!

Options
SingRunTing
SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
Thank you for joining the 100 days of 2015 challenge! We know that if you stick to it, you'll be blown away by your results.

We want you to be successful. There are some really great people in this group with a lot of collective knowledge. If you are new to this and are unsure of where to start (or just have a question), post it here! We want to help you out and clear things up for you!

To get you started, here's a link to my blog which has a "getting started guide" that I wrote up based on my experience:
myfitnesspal.com/blog/SingRunTing

This thread is open to anyone in the group to ask for advice.

Replies

• danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    I love that blog post and I kindly invite everyone to check it out!!!
    We are here for each other and we will succeed together!!!
    Thank you SingRunTing for starting this thread and for the effort and time invested in your blog post!!!!
  • yessi2
    yessi2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much great blog my favorite part I would have to say is:
    "Goal 2: Eat to your macros
    When you feel like you have a good handle on staying within your calories, you can start focusing on nutrition." For now I'm going to make this my goal.(get a handle on my calorie intake) Once again thank you
  • yessi2
    Options
    I have a question. My calorie goal according to MFP is 1200 I can meet this goal my only problem is if I should eat my exercise calories back? I'm 5'2 and as of today's weigh in 164.6 lbs.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    The problem with eating your exercise calories is that we all tend to overestimate the burn calories or overestimate how much we are actually eating.

to get an "accurate" reading you would need a HRM when you workout to see how much you burn + measure and weigh all you consume and then calculate to eat at a net of 1200cals (yay math!)

I personally tend to only eat about 50% exercise cals back to be on the safe side

about me: 5'5'' 182lbs (eating aprox 1300-1500 a day)
  • awhitley
    awhitley Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    yessi2 wrote: »
    I have a question. My calorie goal according to MFP is 1200 I can meet this goal my only problem is if I should eat my exercise calories back? I'm 5'2 and as of today's weigh in 164.6 lbs.

Personally I think your calories are too low even before exercise. I am 5'3" and 166.2 and I am eating around 1500 calories a day. I average a 1-2 lb per week weight loss at this calorie amount and by exercising 3x per week. My Basic Metabolic Rate is 1409 calories. That is the number of calories I need to just be a couch potato. I would do some research and figure out your BMR and TDEE.
    I used this website http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/. It is a much more accurate calorie calculation than MFP as it takes into account your age, height, current weight, and average activity level. Once you have your TDEE you have multiply that number by 20% to get the amount of calories you need to take away from the TDEE number in order to lose weight at a healthy rate. With this number you won't have to worry about eating your exercise calories because it already takes your activity into account when figuring up your TDEE.

I am no expert so these are just friendly suggestions. It has helped me and I feel better knowing I am doing my best to lose fat and not muscle or bone.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I did the MFP method at 1250 calories plus exercise calories for quite a while, so I think it can work (I ate about 75% of my exercise calories, and would always eat at least a decent portion of exercise calories if you have a low goal), but I second the recommendation of the TDEE approach, which I switched to when I wanted to go down to 1 lb/week anyway and, also, when I was going crazy switching between high exercise days and off days and just had no interest in 1250 anymore.

I'm 5'3 and around 127 and exercise about 5-6 days per week, and I'm finding that I'm still losing really well at 1600 calories. If it stays consistent I may kick them up some, as I'd like to ease into maintenance.
  • yessi2
    Options
    Thank you all for your help
  • yessi2
    Options
    I just did the TDEE and I guess I'll be eating more ☺. According to its calculations I'm also closer to the 1500 calorie range.
  • balancedwalker
    balancedwalker Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    TDEE calculator is awesome. Thanks for sharing.
  • SingRunTing
    Options
    Bump.

With the milestone day today, I thought it would be a good day to remind everyone that they aren't in this alone. If you have questions or want feedback, we are here to help you!
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Is it better to go by your lowest weight of the week or your average weight of the week?
    The last 2 weeks I weighed myself everyday. Last week my lowest weight didn't get any lower, but it was the first week that my weight didn't spike above 140lb. The previous week I was over 140 for most of the week and it only dropped down to 138.5 for a day, but I recorded it as my weight because it was the lowest number. Then last week it ranged (138.5-139.5) for a lower average weight.
  • danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    So Nicolejo143, you weighin every day!?! Me too :smile: That's actually ok as long as you understand that there will be fluctuations.
    Let me help you out and give you this link to help keep you sane: you enter your weight daily and can also enter comments in the side, this will give you a very realistic projections and calculate your trends. It's a life saver!

https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/HackDiet
    Create a user name and password, the account is free. I have been using it for 2 months now and it's very accurate! Best of luck!!!!
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    for an app equivalent you can download Libra, its a simple app that tracks your weight loss trend :)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think it's just what works better for you. For a long time I had a weigh-in day and would post whatever that was (even though I weighed at other times--it helped me get used to fluctuations but not be too bothered by any particular number). Now I have a three day period (Saturday through Monday) and I post whatever the lowest from that period is. Lots of people just do new lows, however, and I think that's fine too.
  • awhitley
    awhitley Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also weigh every morning but had never tracked trends...I had always just plugged in my number when my weight went down. The fluctuations have been frustrating even though I know they are a part of the process.
    I actually just downloaded the app Happy Scale. Based on danelutza19's and EmmieBaby's suggestions, I think this will be helpful.
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I just downloaded the Libra app. I love the idea of tracking trends!
  • justdebbie1
    justdebbie1 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost everyday. I only really count 1. I started my weight loss on the 4th of the month at 10:30 am. So every month on the 4th is my official weigh in. For the good or bad.
  • SingRunTing
    Options
    I do a weekly average.

The point is that different things work for different people. It really doesn't matter which method you choose, you just have to stay consistent and understand the pros/cons of that method.

Good luck!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I do a weekly average.

The point is that different things work for different people. It really doesn't matter which method you choose, you just have to stay consistent and understand the pros/cons of that method. Good luck!

Exactly - in a nutshell!