Hello everyone!

Options
EmyleeNoel
EmyleeNoel Posts: 18 Member
Hi everyone! New to the group. I was diagnosed with PCOS after the birth of my second child 15 years ago and ultimately had a hysterectomy (partial) last year in June. Battling this weight issue is difficult when you have to constantly explain PCOS and the issues it can create when losing weight....hoping to find some support and offer some as well.

Replies

• wilsonmc77
    wilsonmc77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am also new to the group, I'm 19 but was diagnosed when I was 12 after doing lots of blood tests for acne medication! My main goal is to lose and maintain my weight so one day I'm able to have kids and a family without my PCOS interfering:)
  • Journeywithyou
    Journeywithyou Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow diagnosed at 12. When I was 17 I kept telling my doc something was not right but kept getting told I was young and my body needed time to adjust. It was not until I was married and starting a family with my husband many years later I finally received my diagnosis. Glad to met you both Emylee and Wilsonmc.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, @Journeywithyou. I was in my 30's, only diagnosed because or ruptured ovarian cysts and irregular cycles, following a decade of secondary infertility, despite the fact that my cycles were so miserable as a teen I had to be put on BCP to manage them at 16! I feel that the younger you are diagnosed, the better change these young ladies have at having a full and natural life!! Finding out down the road when the symptoms are already setting in deeply makes the struggle that much more difficult. Luck to all!
  • EmyleeNoel
    EmyleeNoel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! I always had issues but doctors never connected the dots. It wasn't until after my son was born that my doctor said "I think it might be PCOS" but offered no help beyond that. My next doctor said she didn't think it was PCOS because I had gotten my weight controlled and was lucky enough to not have "severe symptoms" and took the DX off my chart. When I was 31 I moved to Ohio and had emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder. I gained 60 pounds in 4 months no matter what I did. It was then that I got a new doctor and he said he had no doubt that it was PCOS and started me on Metformin, encouraged me to get educated and try some additional exercise and altering my diet.
    I believe that if I had been dx'd earlier and not had conflicting information from doctors, I would not be struggling to regain control of my symptoms.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Did losing your gallbladder affect your metabolism that much, @EmyleeNoel? Because that might explain a lot for me! I had to have my gallbladder out when my only daughter was 7 weeks old, and I never could lose any weight after that. I was worried that the massive hormonal shifts from pregnancy/postpartum might have "broken" me hormonally, but this makes sense, since so much of our digestive system is affected by a functional gallbladder...