New Vegan

Options
Alysia82
Alysia82 Posts: 67 Member
I'm a new vegan looking for support and tips.

Replies

• sebj93
    sebj93 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there Alysia,
    welcome to a fantastic transition in your life :).
    You have made an amazing commitment and I want to say thank you for joining this cause which I believe is of the upmost importance (ethical/health/environmental).

What in particular would you like advice with?

In general I would say:
    1. Don't be fat phobic: There are good fats and bad fats. The former which are found in nuts, seeds, avocado and oils such as raw/cold pressed coconut or seed oils should be present in every meal and are essential to fat burning, weight loss, energy, blood-sugar regulation, brain function etc.
    2. Don't worry about getting enough protein: If you aren't malnourished, you aren't protein deficient! Protein is in all food including fruit and vegetables. The protein goals on this website seem a little high to me so I wouldn't worry too much about hitting them. Protein is however essential to repair of bodily tissues (muscle, connective etc) so it is especially important for athletes. Great sources are beans which you can soak and cook or get in a can, hummus (chickpeas/garbanzo beans), peas (frozen is fine) and Quinoa which can be cooked like rice.
    3. Go easy on the sugar: high sugar intake causes our bodies to store fat. Sugary fruit, refined bread (white bread) or grains (white rice), and syrups such as maple syrup all contain high amounts of sugar which will make it difficult to regulate energy levels and lose weight. The best carbohydrate foods are berries (blueberries, strawberries etc), rye flours and breads and non sugary veg such as kale or broccoli.
    4. Eat your veg: Obvious one but I've heard of vegans trying to just live on toast! You needn't bother with the vegan convenience foods as these are only marginally better than the equivalents for omnivores. If you can, cook your own food and try to eat stuff either without an ingredients list, or with a very short list detailing only things which you can pronounce and are healthy.

I can recommend some sources of nutrition advice if you would like?
    Patrick Holford is personally my favourite health author, I recently read his book The Low-GL Diet Bible and the weight has been dropping off since. He isn't vegan but his advice is easy to apply to the vegan diet.

Sebastian :smiley:

• daletheriot72
    daletheriot72 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I converted to vegan only after watching forks over knives and reading Eat to Live. Both are excellent. If you are looking for recipes, I highly recommend vegandad.blogspot.com and theppk.com.
  • healthygal95
    healthygal95 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Everything the first poster said all over again! My big tip would be to get a b12 supplement. Unless you are eating vegetables with dirt still visible, there is no way to get it in a vegan diet. Also, remember to eat your veggies! It's really easy to be a unhealthy vegan.
  • FitVegan4Animals
    Options
    You can add me if you like. :)
  • Dragon303
    Dragon303 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like. I'm mostly vegan since Jan 2015 - I'm working on losing a few lbs and getting generally healthier - would love to trade tips and support! :)
  • daletheriot72
    daletheriot72 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Vegan for almost 6 months, add me if you like. If you excuse the roasted salmon I had last week...office threw me a going away party and salmon was the only thing on the menu under 1,000 calories. If they are throwing ME a going away luncheon, you would think that they would take me to a vegan restaurant..