energy level

Options
hiya i am a newbie to low thyroid taking tablets 7 weeks and my energy level is still minus 10 everythins is such a struggle.

Replies

• oomphgirl13
    oomphgirl13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It takes time for your body to adjust, and you may not be on a high enough dose. Until your thyroid levels are in a good range and you are feeling 100%, your doctor should be checking your levels about every month, then every 6 months once you've found the correct dose. Also don't go by just your levels alone. If you are still feeling like crap then you probably need a higher dose. If you're doctor tells you other wise, seek a second opinion or go see an endocrinologist if you haven't already. Also are you taking synthetic replacement hormone or are you on the natural armor thyroid? The synthetic doesn't work for everyone, so it's something to look into.

I find that taking selenium helps with my energy levels, and make sure you are getting enough iodine in your diet. You can also try experimenting with what you eat. Soy is a big no no. It can hinder your bodies ability to absorb your medication. This can be quite challenging because soy sneaks into lots of products, so reading labels is a must. Gluten can also have this effect as well as cruciferous vegetables. I personally don't have a problem with cruciferous vegetables, but wheat and soy are. You just need to experiment with them.

Hope this helps, and good luck =)
  • Shirlann46
    Shirlann46 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I was on Synthroid for awhile then it just seemed to stop working. I felt like Crap and so TIRED-all the time.
    I read about Armour Thyroid asked my PCP to prescribe it for me. He did and he doesn't know how to test my Levels correctly. I was on 90 then 60 then 30 one day-60 the next-that dosage made me irritable. So to make it simple-90 in 2 days=45 & 45 = 90, right?? So that's what I'm doing!!!! I feel FINE!!!!! Asked for a Referral for a Endocrinologist to get this mess figured out. Have an appt. Oct. 1st.
    It really does take awhile for your body to get adjusted to Thyroid meds. Just be patient-if you feel whatever you are taking isn't working-talk to your Dr. Start keeping a Journal about your Daily Activities. Keep track of your moods/energy levels=Everything you do. After 30 days look at it and see what is happening. If you see a problem talk to your DR. You might need different Thyroid Medicine.
    Good Luck
    Shirlann
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this for a few years, mostly in the late fall and winter (my energy levels are great in the summer). One endocrinologist refused to increase my dosage of Synthroid (50 MCGs), but finally said I could take an extra half every 3 days. Well, I abused that after it worked, and felt like I went into hyperthyroidism territory -- heart palpitations and trouble breathing. I also tried a Happy Light, but it doesn't work.

What does work for me? Exercise and good eating. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a fog at home, and in previous years' winters I would sleep 10 hours a day and then have a 2-hour nap besides and be unable to do much activity. Now when I'm that way and I drag myself to a gym class, I feel great and alert after. Doing that regularly, a few times a week, keeps the fatigue at bay. So does eating more fruits and veggies and less of the processed stuff. I also take 2,000 IUs of Vitamin D in addition to my Multi, at the suggestion of my doctor. Sometimes your body needs the rest, but sometimes more sleep leads to more fatigue. Hope this helps some Hypo's out there!
  • willbfit4life
    willbfit4life Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I found an integrated doctor, who went by symptoms, not my TSH level. The endocrinologist I used to see basically told me it was 'all in my head' and my TSH would be much higher than it was for me to have all the symptoms I had. Mind you, I only have half of a thyroid, the other half was removed a year ago due to a huge nodule that was restricting my airway. The integrated doctor prescribed Armour, first at only 15 mg (because I had a bad reaction to synthroid), now I'm up to 30 mg. She also gave me Vitamin D and some supplements for my low adrenal, which can also cause fatigue. Endocrinologists, at least in my experience, do not listen to the symptoms. Finding the integrated doctor was the best thing I could ever have done for myself. I highly recommend it! A nice side effect is I am finally starting to lose some of the 30 lbs I have gained since my surgery. Also, she put me on bioidentical hormones, because I am heading into menopause. NO more hotflashes either! Yay!
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Is menopause different for women with hypothyroid? Not looking forward to it