Dominant or non dominant hand?

Options
mrsvinisky
mrsvinisky Posts: 16 Member
Does anyone know if there is a difference in accuracy between wearing your Fitbit on your dominant hand vs your non dominant hand?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    There is.

And just the setting too.

Check out the FAQS on Fitbit's site for your device and that setting and when to use it.
  • mrsvinisky
    Options
    Thanks! I have it set for dominant hand, but it seems that it doesn't accurately record my flights of stairs. I do stairs all day every day and it's registering about half.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    mrsvinisky wrote: »
    Thanks! I have it set for dominant hand, but it seems that it doesn't accurately record my flights of stairs. I do stairs all day every day and it's registering about half.

I kind of doubt that the floor count is strongly affected by dominant/non-dominant hand. From what I understand, they use air pressure + steps for determining floor climbing.

I get extremely inaccurate floor counts, usually way, way too high. Astronomically high on windy days (we're talking over extra 100 floors some days). I don't climb a lot of stairs, so I ignore the count (it doesn't affect the calories burned calculation at all). Still, even with it counting lots and lots of extra flights of stairs, it probably misses half of the ones I do climb. I do wonder if it misses more flights if you're holding the hand rail with the arm that you're wearing the FitBit on. I think that is possible, but not a complete explanation because my One used to miss half the flights of stairs I actually climbed, too. My One also registered extra flights, but not as often as my Charge HR.
  • mrsvinisky
    Options
    Thank you! This makes sense. I am very new to Fitbit and I love it. I guess I am nit picking a bit. I appreciate your help.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    You're welcome. I wish the stair climbing detection worked better, but I think it has to be hard with the sensors available at this time. I just did an hour of exercise (Wii Zumba with some strength training between songs), my FitBit says I climbed 8 flights of stairs and it isn't even windy out today.