Training in the Cold

Options
goalie35
goalie35 Posts: 245 Member
I am training for my first full marathon which is May 17th. I have done 3 half's but never had to train with long runs when it's so cold. I am supposed to do 10 miles this weekend but the 'feel's like' temp is 7° F and it's only supposed to go down from there. I could only do 4 miles before my asthma took over. I hate running anything more then 3 on a treadmill so does anyone have any suggestions to simulate the training. - Thanks

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Unless you have access to an indoor track, I'm afraid you will have to suck it up and hit the treadmill (I am no experience with asthma, so I am not going to tell you to suck it up and go outside). It's not an ideal situation, but can you run outside as long as your lungs will let you, then finish it up on the treadmill? I have done that in emergency situations like getting caught in a thunderstorm, but I try to make it as continuous as possible to mirror one long run.
  • vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I live in minnesota. I've ran multiple spring marathons despite -50f windchills. Feels like 7 is about the coldest I like to do my runs outside. If it's colder than 10f, I typicall run my long runs on the treadmill. If it's snowing/blizzard conditions, I run on the treadmill. I don't change my training plan for the weather, I just change WHERE I do my training.

Tomorrow looks like -20f windchills, so I will be doing 18 on the treadmill. Yes, it sucks. But that's just what happens when you train for spring marathins in minnesota. Last week was 12 degrees, and I was lucky enough to run my 16 outside.

I have ran 190 miles in the past 19 days, only 29 miles were ran outside.

Antonio vega (Minneapolis) won the usa 1/2 marathon champinships in 2010 doing 100+ MPW exclusivly on the treadmill.

It does "convert" to outside. That's my stance on it
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I would say do it on a treadmill. I loathe the treadmill, and usually can only stomach 3-4 miles at a time on it, but once over the summer due to high temps/humidity, I did 15 on a treadmill. I just had a small waterbottle and refilled it a couple times and put on some good podcasts. It wasn't ideal, but I got the miles in. It's not ideal, but that's what marathon training takes sometimes :)
  • suetorrence
    suetorrence Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Our winter has been milder than usual so I haven't had to make that decision this year. I can run outside to around 15 degrees by wearing a wool scarf over the lower part of my face. It prevents the cold air from getting to my lungs - I also have asthma. Our local running store also sells a hood that covers everything except for my eyes. As others have shared - a treadmill is a great option when running outside is just too difficult to do. Best of luck with your marathon training.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Fortunately our local YMCA has a 6 lap/mile indoor track that I use when it's too bad outdoors. I did a 9 mile Saturday followed by a brutal 19 mile Sunday run a few weeks ago indoors. As bad as that was I personally couldn't image anything over 7-8 on a treadmill. The thought of stewing in my own body heat and sweat for more than a hour or so just isn't pleasant.
  • goalie35
    goalie35 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give the treadmill a try tomorrow, I'm already dreading it though!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I bring my tablet and put on some Netflix while I do my winter runs on the treadmill. It helps tremendously to break the monotony. Do you have access to a tablet, or a smartphone or ipod? If you have wifi where you use the treadmill, perhaps you could do the same. Last winter I also did a lot of reading with a Kindle. You can turn the font size up so that it's legible while you're bouncing around. I've heard some people get a bit queasy from doing that, though, so your mileage may vary.

Good luck!!
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend a balaclava or some type of facemask when running outside. I think you'll find that breathing through that is MUCH easier. It warms/humidifies the cold air a little bit so it's not so harsh on your lungs.