Trail/ultra runners unite!

Options
toni5671
toni5671 Posts: 8 Member
Going to be running my first ultra-marathon this year. Any other trail and/or ultra runners out there?

Replies

• vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I ran my first ultra last year but I would consider myself more a road junkie
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Definite trail junkie here. I haven't done a marathon or an Ultra yet, but if my mojo is waning I head for the trails and all is good with the world again :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Same here, out in the woods is far better than pounding the pavement.

Although the concept of trail runners uniting baffles me a bit :)
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Once the stupid snow goes away, I'm gonna be on the trails.

I'm registered for a trail half in June, a trail marathon in July and a trail 50K in September :)

Hopefully I won't die :#
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I do a trail half nearly every week as part of my regular training. The Marathon and Ultra will happen eventually.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I've done up to 20 miles long runs on trails. But I've never raced yet!
  • spylaurens
    Options
    Hey Toni! Running the Comrades marathon in South Africa 31st May 2015
    My third one!
    You are going to have a amazing experience
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've done up to 20 miles long runs on trails. But I've never raced yet!

I've only raced trails :)

With both HMs and both Marathons planned this year being outings for the trail shoes.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    There are literally dozens of us! ;)
  • toni5671
    Options
    Wow! So great to read all your comments! I'm looking forward to the end of winter also but the snow and the cold haven't stopped me yet, only slows me down a bit
  • chemlabdoc
    chemlabdoc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ultras are great. You get to meet and run with cool people. Volunteering at races is also fun. What distance are you working toward?
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've hit all the various distances up to the hundred. Six to 24 hour timed events as well. I've paced, crewed, and volunteered. I like both the road and the trail. I have done ultras on both.
  • toni5671
    Options

I'm starting out with a 50K which I believe is very doable after having run lots of road marathons. Looking to complete a 50-miler sometime in the not-so-distant future
  • chemlabdoc
    Options
    It's totally doable. I ran my first 50k before a marathon. If you have run marathons...its only 6 miles more. For the 50 miler you just slow down a little more and eat. Peanut butter and jelly, grapes, bananas, potato chips, m&ms. When you nail that you will start looking for 100s.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    In a moment of madness I've just signed up for a 30mile trail ultra a fortnight before my first marathon. Its a long a coastal path so terrain isn't too bad and the total elevation gain is over 500ft less than I ran in a 19mile training run last Sunday. There's a 10hr cut off so reckon I can take my time and enjoy it and use it as my last big run before my marathon. At least that's what I'm now convincing myself of!
  • DonPendergraft
    Options
    Samstan101 wrote: »
    In a moment of madness I've just signed up for a 30mile trail ultra a fortnight before my first marathon. Its a long a coastal path so terrain isn't too bad and the total elevation gain is over 500ft less than I ran in a 19mile training run last Sunday. There's a 10hr cut off so reckon I can take my time and enjoy it and use it as my last big run before my marathon. At least that's what I'm now convincing myself of!

I think you will do just fine in the ultra. However, you are probably blowing any chance of a marathon PR. But that's probably just me projecting. A long race two weeks before another race would spell disaster for me. I like a longer taper. Your mileage may vary!
  • DonPendergraft
    Options
    toni5671 wrote: »
    I'm starting out with a 50K which I believe is very doable after having run lots of road marathons. Looking to complete a 50-miler sometime in the not-so-distant future

You will do great. Marathons are hard because 1) you run on concrete, and 2) you run at a higher intensity for the entire distance. No walking. Tough! Unless you are looking to podium, on average expect to power walk some of your ultra. That's OK. It's part of the strategy. If you can't see the top of a hill, power hike it.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks Don, as its my first marathon then finishing is the PR (although I guess I'll set a time during my ultra!)
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Me! I'm an ultra/trail runner! Don Pendergraft is my friend. :smiley: I've run SO many races the last two years, but I'm "resting" right now to start training in April for another round of *kitten*-beating races. ha ha ha.
  • chemlabdoc
    Options
    There are things called Quadzilla-- four marathons in four days. Taking only two weeks between races isn't as mad as you may think. Ten hours is plenty of time for 30 miles. You should be able to enjoy it.