Vitamins, Supplements suggestions please!

Options
One week out with VGS, need to purchase supplements: I am overwhelmed by the choices and warnings. Suggestions please!

Replies

• Ldizzle82
    Ldizzle82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use the Bariatric advantage chewables. They are pretty easy to chew, and there not to terrible as far as taste. I had my sleeve done on 2/10/15 and I definitely have to break them up and give myself at least 5 minutes in between each chewable. Hope this helps
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I use Flinstone complete chewables for vitamins. I have gummy for vitamin D from Target.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I use Flinstone complete chewables for vitamins.

Me too!
  • jcfelbi
    jcfelbi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    flintstones multi, bariatric advantage for the chewable calcium citrate (3xs daily, not w/ multivitamin b/c iron interferes with absorption), dissolving Bariatriac advantage for vitamin b12 and chewable vitamin D, 2000 IUs, and then had to take some funky pill (so my gall bladder didn't develop stones...I guess common for post-op??) and also a generic Prilosec for the next 3 months. (had surgery in Dec.) Guess you can tell my doctor is....pretty thorough! And I'm following the "rules" b/c I just figured if I do this, I'm all in : )

But then my question I'm asking my nutritionist next time is: w/ all these pills, is it still safe to then take an additional supplement that supposedly helps support NOT losing hair? Ha. we'll see what she says....

I feel like such a pill popper!!! : )
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Opurity (opurity.com) gastric sleeve optimized multi and B-12 --- Actigal and Prevacid for 6 months post-surgery --- Biotin 10,000 mcg, and Vit. D weekly.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I never would have thought that Flinstones Vitamins would be a good choice. I thought they only made vitamins for children. I will have to check out those Flintstones. I use Centrum Performance for my multivitamin because it has Selenium in it and that is a requirement for what I was told. I take Jamison B-12 strips that I put on my tongue. I won't list the others as I'm in Canada and like a lot of products here & the US, there are different brands, particularly with anything medical.
  • nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I believe with the Flintstones chewable you have to double the dose to get proper amounts.
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My program also recommended the flinstones chewables. When I was in the first 2 weeks post-op they were the highlight of my day. My dosage is 1 AM and 1 PM.

The biggest challenge was looking at all the different supplements I was taking and figuring out how much more D and Iron I needed. Vitamin-math.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Right out of surgery, I used chewable calcium citrate and gummy multivitamins. I found both of them at Vitacost.com (I think). They were much more reasonably priced that the Bariatric Advantage ones. They also had a buy 2 get one free or some such offer.

I moved to pill form Calcium Citrate as soon as I could, and just recently switched to pill multis (just finished the four bottles of gummies I had bought). Both pills I buy from Meijer.

Still using the B12 sublinguals I bought pre-surgery (I bought 2 250 tab bottles, they'll last me a year and a half!)

Generic Prilosec was only for the first 2 months, and generic Actigall for about a month longer (6 months).
  • Vauxin
    Vauxin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I guess I am lucky, I just take a multi, d3, and E as for brand CVS Kroger or walmart always has some brand BOGO.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Each clinic/program have their own criteria of vitamin requirements. Maybe you could let us know which ones you have to take and we can advise more accurately.