Inositol? Have heard this can help with weight loss and hormonal issues is this true?

Options
fun_girly
fun_girly Posts: 12 Member
hi, I have read about others taking inositol who like me have PCOS. Where can you buy it? I think I read its a powder? Anyone have any info?

Replies

• aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use the Pregnitude powder packets (myo-inositol and folic acid). I found them from Walgreens, but I'm not sure if that is available to you. I know others use different powders, etc. The packets are very convenient, but probably more costly in the long run. Personally I think it is helping me, but I have only been using it for a couple months now.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I dont use pregnitude because its quite expensive for things I can get separately for about 1/3 of the cost.

I use http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OUKPC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This is the one that Dragonwolf linked a few weeks back and its a sweet fine powder. You can use it in hot beverages and it melts. I havent tried it in cold beverages, as i usually just toss 1 tsp in my mouth and drink some water to wash it down and move on with my day.

You can also use http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABMAIIG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which is just a little more expensive but the powder isnt quite as fine.

Either way Inositol can help with a few things, insulin issues, hormone issues, depression issues, fertility issues, etc so it might be worth a try. Do some research and see what you think.
  • D_A_W_N__H_A_R_R
    Options
    I have taken choline and inositol combo pills since I was diagnosed 7 years ago. My eating has not stayed consistently healthy, but I have only missed one period in 6 years. I also take several other supplements.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine with POCS and Hypothyroid recommend the inosital powder. She is following a strict mail order diet and without the powder she looses on average 0.5 lbs. With the powder she looses between 2-3 lbs regularly.

I'm trying it right now and it seems like its helping but I am also just starting out. We both get it from Amazon but you might be able to find it at a GNC like store.
  • FaeryChaos
    FaeryChaos Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have not lost weigh taking inositol, but it has helped me stay sane hormonely and I do get my period every month. Not everyone loses weight on it but I've read that most do.

How much is she and you taking ?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I wonder if instead of using it for wakefulness during the day in small doses I switched to taking more at night it might work differently for me....
  • aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    I dont use pregnitude because its quite expensive for things I can get separately for about 1/3 of the cost.

I use http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OUKPC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This is the one that Dragonwolf linked a few weeks back and its a sweet fine powder. You can use it in hot beverages and it melts. I havent tried it in cold beverages, as i usually just toss 1 tsp in my mouth and drink some water to wash it down and move on with my day.

You can also use http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABMAIIG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which is just a little more expensive but the powder isnt quite as fine.

Either way Inositol can help with a few things, insulin issues, hormone issues, depression issues, fertility issues, etc so it might be worth a try. Do some research and see what you think.

Thank you for the alternatives!
  • rowclic
    rowclic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! I'm waiting for my Inositol delivery any day now. I am hopeful it will give me the extra edge I need because of the PCOS. So far I'm doing well. Down 10lbs in just over a month. Woohoo!
    I honestly believe I'm giving it 110% right now. I'm all in!
    I had a girlfriend visiting for the weekend and I didn't cheat once. And....by the end of the weekend she was logged on to MFP and tracking as well! :)
    This is not easy. I've been here and done it before so I know. I think about it and plan constantly but i guess its worth it as I'm seeing results.
    Keep it up girls! We can do it!!!
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The thing to remember is we don't all have the exact same issues, causes, or symptoms. However from the studies I've read, as well as anecdotal evidence inositol is very helpful for almost all of us. I lost very successfully on it to begin with, and have a regular cycle for the first time in my life. I was anywhere from moderately irregular to going 6 plus months without cycling for 25 plus years. I still have 20 plus pounds to lose but I'm at a reasonable weight now and am OK with my weight loss slowing down to a few pounds a month.

Good luck to all of you trying it :smiley: it's not a miracle cure but it certainly can be an aid in making our bodies a bit more 'normal.'
  • 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Ok I already love this forum, had never heard of Inositol but sounds like I should definitely try it. A few questions:
    I saw in another thread that someone mentioned it's okay to take alongside Spironolactone, can other confirm?
    What dosage do people take?
    Can anyone in Canada recommend a place to purchase it? I noticed that GNC stores have it in tablet form, is the powder better? I can only order online through sites that have paypal, which Amazon doesn't offer.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I dont know about the Spiro as ive never taken it. But the dosage in the studies ive seen go from 2g to 12g a day depending on how much it improves your symptoms. I take about 6g a day, its a level but packed teaspoon twice a day, about 3g morning and another 3g at night. It has helped my symptoms a great deal. I know others take more and some take less.

I dont know where to find it other than amazon, sorry. The tablets work well as far as i know but Ive only used the powder form. It seems to be easier for me to measure out my 3g each dose in powder form.

You can always go to walmart or those type stores and get an amazon gift card you can then put on your amazon account and then buy your Inositol. Amazon also has the pill form if you are interested.

We are glad you found us and Love this group as much as we do.
  • 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I've just experienced so much despair over the past few years because of PCOS symptoms, it's nice to experience what feels like some small gains, to know that there are more options which = more hope, and to be able to hear other people's stories.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    The Spironalatone is usually prescribed by a doctor