Stem Extender

Options
msurads06
msurads06 Posts: 66 Member
I have a 1980s Schwinn World Sport that I really need to raise the handle bars on. Right now it is about 1 inch higher than the minimum insertion point (yes I know that's not safe, its a VERY temporary change). I know the proper answer is that the bike is too small/ buy a new one, but that wont be an option for atleast 6 moths possibly a year. The seat post will rise just high enough for me but the handle bars are 2-3 inches below seat level which is WAY too low for me.
I am looking at the sunlite chromo quill stem extender which would give me another few inches in handlebar height. I realize I will likely have to replace some/all of the cables on the bike. I am just wondering if anyone has used these and what your experiences have been or if there is another brand. I am really trying to find a way to make this bike work for me atleast until the end of the summer.

I Have a hybrid that I am riding right now but I am hoping to ride a half century/metric century in August and I really don't want to attempt it on my hybrid. (though I know its doable). Any suggestions?

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Check Goodwill, Salvation Army and those types of stores for a bike you can cannibalize.
  • rvoodoo
    Options
    I usually hit up amazon and look through reviews... hasn't let me down yet. The one you mention has 37 reviews, 4 out of 5 stars - I'd usually gamble on that. There's also some by Delta that have more ratings and have a 4.5. Hit up amazon and read the reviews to get detailed info on what folks are saying.
  • msurads06
    Options
    Part of my concern is how it will alter my reach to the handle bars, I know an extender will help raise the bars. Right now in its current configuration I have a very hard time reaching the hoods so I tend to ride the tops/flats of my handle bars. this works ok because I have interrupter levers on the bike but I am trying to get away from using them since they can be dangerous and anew bike wont have them anyway. I cant currently get enough of a grip on the brakes with my hands on the hoods to use the brakes without the interrupter levers. So even though the bike is "too small" I cant reach the hoods.

I guess my question is will raising the handle bars to at least seat height make it easier to reach the brake hoods?
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hunt around online and see if you can find a frame that is your size and transfer your components over. Or better still buy a similar bike on Enay and sell yours. I see a few on EBay for around $100 or less.
  • msurads06
    Options
    Veloman, I have been keeping an eye on craigslist for a new bike, I am extremely leery of buying a bike on ebay that I will not have a chance to testdrive prior to purchasing, unfortunately everything is more than I can afford right now. I have made the deal with myself that if I ride in the HHH in august I can have a new (at least to me) bike (after the ride). but until then I have to make due with what I have even if that means riding the 50 on my hybrid and possibly adding handlebar extenders/ends for more hand positions. I have a fair amount of equipment to purchase/re-purchase (new bike bag, frame pump, patch kit, etc) before then so I cant really afford to buy a bike as well.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Keep checking craigslist. Several years ago, I was looking for a touring bike. Ended up getting exactly what I wanted with all the guy's gear thrown in. Got panniers, sleeping bag, mirrors, spare tubes, pump, etc. All for less than the cost of the gear.
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Here you go. I have 2 of them for my older road bikes. They look pretty nice as well.
    universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=7425&category=1728