Problem with calorie syncing?

Options
hegehrke
hegehrke Posts: 6 Member
Hey guys!

I've been using my Fitbit for just over a month, but recently I've noticed that Myfitnesspal isn't really logging my calories burnt correctly.
I walk to university each day and I leave the house at 8AM each morning. When I arrive at uni, I sync my Fitbit, and today I burnt 232 calories in 45 minutes walking (going by the moderate and intense activity levels on the Fitbit dashboard).
I also walk back from uni, and today I burnt 203 calories in 30 minutes, an overall of 435 calories spent only walking back and forth.

Myfitnesspal is only telling me that I've burnt 300 calories, which obviously isn't the case! Any ideas on why this is happening? Or am I just adding things up wrong?!

I noticed too that Myfitnesspal was previously logging things very well previously, but doesn't seem to be doing so well now.

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    The 300 calories that MFP is showing is calories over and above what it expects you to have burned at that time based on the activity level you entered. So, it's probably fine.
  • hegehrke
    hegehrke Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I never entered the activity, its all just tracked from my Fitbit, its not logging my tracked calories burnt correctly!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    You don't need to enter the activity. If you enter the activity in FitBit (either manually, or using the start/stop button) then you can look at it more closely, but the calories reported to MFP don't change. If you log the activity, log it in FitBit, not MFP.

Don't expect all the calories from your walking to/from school to show up directly as your "FitBit calorie adjustment" in MFP. It doesn't work that way.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    What I noticed was in the morning fitbit was subtracting calories (FitBit calorie adjustment) when I didn't have any activity yet in the day. Then when I walked a lot or worked in my run in the evening it would add back those calories (plus any additional I burned) as my Fitbit Calorie Adjustment. So, if during the day I had -200 Exercise (Fitbit Calorie Adjustment) and then when I ran/worked out and in Fitbit burned 290 calories it would show up in MFP as +90 Exercise (Fitbit calorie adjustment). Is this what it's looking like for you?

I just got mine all set up and sync a few weeks, so I don't know anything for sure, but that's how it's been working for me. I recently put my activity level to Sedentary (from Lightly Active), because I've read it may work out better with my fitbit/mfp tracking. Also, I work in an office and sit 8hrs a day, so, besides jogging 3 days a week (only 1.5/2 miles jog/walk intervals) it may be a better fit for me. We'll see, I'm testing it out.

If anyone thinks I am doing this incorrectly, I am all ears for help. Thanks!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You are doing it correctly.

Could understanding that while it may be logged under exercise, merely for the fact to be handled correctly, the Fitbit calorie adjustment is NOT just exercise.