This is why I advocate getting insulin tested

Options
Dragonwolf
Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
Over the past couple of weeks, I've had a few blood tests done, thanks to having a new doctor, and as of today, I've got all of my numbers back.

Now, anyone that's seen my past postings knows that I heavily advocate getting fasting insulin tested, and not just glucose. While I have a number of results that I can share, this post will focus on the relevant ones to this topic -- glucose and insulin.

Let's start with the numbers doctors usually use:

Glucose: 109
A1C: 5.5

Looks okay, right? I mean, the glucose is a little high, but still below the threshold of 120 considered for prediabetes, and the 5.5 A1C is still firmly in the "normal" zone. So...doctor says there's not really much to do. Glucose is warning, but with a normal A1C, it's for all intents and purposes part and parcel with PCOS.

Now, what about insulin?

Okay, so the agreed upon range for "normal" is huge -- anywhere from 3-5 according to Mercola and a few other sources, to the far more liberal 20 according to LabCorp. Even going by LabCorp's numbers, that's quite a ways out of range.

To compare, just before I started Metformin the last time, my fasting insulin was 18. The last draw I had before stopping it was 19. My glucose has consistently been in the 90s range. Yet my fasting insulin has nearly doubled in the nine months since.

Suddenly, "there's not really much to do" turns into "let's get you a referral to an endocrinologist."

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    glad you got it tested. Still frustrated that I had so many signs of insulin resistance for YEARS and because my A1C was normal, every doctor said there wasn't a problem.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Goodness. That is crazy! I hope that this bodes well for you across the board. Getting a good endo on board could help so much!! Hugs and best of luck. I can't wait to have more comparable insulin results, since I've only had it tested that once.
  • Journeywithyou
    Journeywithyou Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My doc offered me a referral to a PCOS Doc I am guessing that would be an endo? I told her not right now lets see what I can get on track with diet change but I'm second guessing that decision after reading some of the info here.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I swear by my Endocrinologist. And a PCOS doc could be a gynocologist in some books, so I'd make sure to specify endo over gyno if she does do the referral. And my endocrinologist has made so much difference in my quality of life in less than a year!!! Finding a good one can be hard, but well worth it. S/he can give advice on diet change and stay with homeopathic/natural solutions over medication, too, if that is your preference. I'm only on meds so far because the underlying issues weren't responding. He'll easily wean me off once I'm fully leveled out again!
  • ambaa1982
    Options
    My experience was that I wanted to lose weight to try to get the PCOS under control but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't lose any weight. I just kept gaining.

So I got blood work done and found out that my thyroid was underactive. So I got referred to an endrocronologist and he got me on the right medication.

After that I'm still working hard on losing weight, but it's actually possible! I'm down 14 pounds since I got on the medication. I have another 35 lbs or so to go so I don't know yet if weight loss will help with the PCOS symptoms.
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Happy you got it tested - hopefully things will get better from here! :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's stunning. I hope you get some useful answers and resources from this!
  • ShrinkingBerry
    ShrinkingBerry Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Do most people see a regular endo or a reproductive endo? I'm debating where I'll get the most help.
  • ShrinkingBerry
    Options
    Do most people see a regular endo or a reproductive endo? I'm debating where I'll get the most help.

And I should add that I have PCOS, insulin resistant type 2 diabetes, and hypothyroidism.

• KnitOrMiss
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I just have a regular endo, but I'm completely done having children, as well, so I don't know if that is a factor. I have PCOS, am on medication for insulin resistance (though testing didn't show it as clearly), but not diabetic, and I'm hypothyroid as well... And he's a man, to boot. He is very knowledgeable, willing to try treating the symptoms even if bloodwork doesn't support diagnosis, because he knows PCOS camouflages many issues. So you just need to find someone you can work with...
  • ShrinkingBerry
    Options
    That's the real trick, isn't it? Finding a Dr who will listen and work with us?
  • vdeepu17
    vdeepu17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have Pcos too. But my periods are regular and I have 2 kids. Second one conceived only after one try. I gained 30lb with first one and lost 20lb. With second one I gained 20lbs and lost 10lbs. I want to lose 40lbs now and it's very hard . My A1C is 5.8 and says increased risk for diabetes . Contemplating if I have to ask doc to put me on metformin or not. I was on it when trying to conceive first one and didn't like the side effects like nausea , hair loss and upset stomach . For last one month I have lost only 1.4 lb inspire of exercise and eating well and counting calories. I will see for another 2weeks to see if any change in weight. Heard that it will take atleast 6 weeks to start see the weight coming off. Does my plan sound alright? Any other advices / discussions are welcome.