Feet

Options
lishie_rebooted
lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups

^So those are my feet.
As you can see, the joints by my big toes stick out.
Normally, I have no problem with it. That area on my left foot always hurt when I complete the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer (39.3mi of walking in 2 days - 26.2 and 13.1). But lately, it's be bugging me more and I haven't significantly upped my miles or anything. I'm using Hal's Intermediate Half. I mentioned it to my physical therapist last week.

She mentioned using toe separators - like what they use when you get a pedicure but sturdier. And said to wear them on some runs. I'll be honest, I'm very hesistant to do this which is why I'm asking a forum of running strangers. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Even if I did try this, I'd wait til after my half in 3 weeks because the last time she made a change to my running, I ended up DNS'ing a half since I couldn't walk (muscle in lower calf was so tight. I ended up using a small TENS unit so I could even walk...)

I realize I should take the advice of a medical professional not an internet forum. But I've gotten great advice from this group. And I'm torn on my feelings about my physical therapist. I hope to re-graduate out of therapy soon and if I have to go back, I'll find a different one.

ETA: I also have large pads of skin on my toes so I get blisters a lot on the last 2 toes of both feet. Mainly the 2nd to last toe on both. That's where I'd see the separator to be useful...
Also, I did tell her that my mothers feet and gram's feet look the exact same as mine... she blamed all shoes - including my running shoes. and it's why her 3yr old is rarely in shoes to keep the broad feet.

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    That looks like the beginning of a bunion ; have you seen a foot doc yet?
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    That looks like the beginning of a bunion ; have you seen a foot doc yet?

Nope, my feet have always been shaped like that.
    I can but it'll be after the half. I'm not DNS'ing another race lol
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Some are very genetically susceptible to them. Have you tried wider toe box shoes like altras?
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I tagged you on IG. I have the same thing, and yes it's bunions. I don't believe toe seperators will do anything.
  • lishie_rebooted
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Some are very genetically susceptible to them. Have you tried wider toe box shoes like altras?

I'm in Saucony Guide 7s/8s now.
    Won a pair of Karhu Strong5s last night - used them this morning on the dreadmill walking without pain.

I had Nike Pegasus 29s, Ascis GT-3000s, Adidas Glide 4s and I wore all of those for the various Avon Walks I've done and still get the pain.

I wear the Guides due to the issues I'm seeing the PT for.
    It's only a recent issue (the foot - not the other issues)

And Josee, thanks for the answer & giggle lol.
    I have no problem seeing a dr over this and i'll do it, just after my half lol.

ETA: Besides Altras, whatre other ones?
    I'll be at the running shop on Thursday so I can ponder off the wall of shoe. Though I don't really wanna buy new shoes right now lol
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing and yes it is called bunions.

I use a toe separator, one for all toes (yoga) during night time and yes it does help. I also talked to a doctor who said the same as your physical therapist.

I now ordered a toe separator that is like a glove over my big toe and has only one separator for between the big toe and the next one. I was told to try this slowly during running and I will.

Bunion surgery will be my last resort as I know from friends that this is quite a major op.

Best of luck
    Stef.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    SKME2013 wrote: »
    I have the same thing and yes it is called bunions.

I use a toe separator, one for all toes (yoga) during night time and yes it does help. I also talked to a doctor who said the same as your physical therapist.

I now ordered a toe separator that is like a glove over my big toe and has only one separator for between the big toe and the next one. I was told to try this slowly during running and I will.

Bunion surgery will be my last resort as I know from friends that this is quite a major op.

Best of luck
    Stef.

Do you mind sending me the link to what you've bought?
    I'd like to do further research on these things
  • SKME2013
    Options
    This is what I bought for running:
    http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00N9NHHQK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

And something like this is what I have for nights, just mine do not have the rim on top.
    http://www.amazon.ca/Original-YogaToes-Toe-Stretcher-Fasciitis/dp/B004HKWSTU

Good luck
    Stef.
  • SKME2013
    Options
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I just happened to be in Fleet Feet Sacramento two days ago and was talking with the owner. My wife mentioned Morton's neuroma, and he said that those toe separators that you wear while running are becoming very popular, with all kinds of people, not just Morton's neuroma sufferers.
    I wear yoga toes at home every day and have found that they are much more helpful than one would expect. (I started wearing them because I have had both plantar fasciitis and Morton's neuroma.)
    I have wide feet and I wear Altra's. I really like the way they feel and the fact that they are zero-drop and/or minimal drop. The brand has both minimal-sole shoes and very thick, almost-Hoka-like, soled shoes.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    My feet do that as well, and from what I've gathered, it's early stage bunions :/ My mom had major bunions and had to get surgery, but mine aren't troublesome thus far. Thanks for posting though, because I'm gleaning all these tips from the other posters as well!
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    good luck! hope you find an answer soon.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I regularly get blisters on the ball of my foot regardless of shoes, socks, Body Glide etc. It feels like its the bone rubbing on soft tissue but I've found a solution that has worked every time I've used it so far. I cut a piece of moleskin (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Profoot-PROFOOT-Moleskin-Roll/dp/B001V74DFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424443369&sr=8-1&keywords=moleskin+blister) to cover the area and then cut a hole in the middle so that the area that blisters/ gets sore is sat under the hole. I then use a strip of Kinesiology Tape to cover the moleskin & make sure that there are no edges to come unstuck. Kinesiology Tape works brilliantly as its really sticky and with being stretchy conforms to your foot rather than wrinkling up.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    I've been rolling my feet with a lacrosse ball and it seems to be helping.
    I'm going to look into the various toe stretcher things.
    I had my physical therapist film me running this morning so I'll show the folks at the running shop and talk about wider toe box shoes in the future.

I also think part of the problem is that I've been wearing thicker socks due to the cold and snow. So that took up my buffer room lol
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options

ETA: I also have large pads of skin on my toes so I get blisters a lot on the last 2 toes of both feet. Mainly the 2nd to last toe on both. That's where I'd see the separator to be useful...
    Also, I did tell her that my mothers feet and gram's feet look the exact same as mine... she blamed all shoes - including my running shoes. and it's why her 3yr old is rarely in shoes to keep the broad feet.

@lishie_rebooted‌ Hey I made it over here!

I have HORRIBLE toes. They make it hard to find the right shoes and I'm to the point where I almost can't wear any real shoes at all (flip flops and runners are the only shoes that don't hurt my toes). I can't help with the bone issue but Injinji socks changed my life as far as blisters go. I was dying last summer with blister and got some injinjis. Those combined w/ Body Glide helped tremendously. Anyway, they are great on crazy toes like mine. Good luck!
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    JenMaselli wrote: »

@lishie_rebooted‌ Hey I made it over here!

I have HORRIBLE toes. They make it hard to find the right shoes and I'm to the point where I almost can't wear any real shoes at all (flip flops and runners are the only shoes that don't hurt my toes). I can't help with the bone issue but Injinji socks changed my life as far as blisters go. I was dying last summer with blister and got some injinjis. Those combined w/ Body Glide helped tremendously. Anyway, they are great on crazy toes like mine. Good luck!

I have the injinji socks, I use them for the Avon Walks with vaseline. I still get a little blister but its 40mi of walking...
    But winter in Maine means I don't wanna wear toe socks haha
  • JenMaselli
    Options

I have the injinji socks, I use them for the Avon Walks with vaseline. I still get a little blister but its 40mi of walking...
    But winter in Maine means I don't wanna wear toe socks haha

Winter in Maine! Yikes, I'm barely surviving winter in California. :)

• JenMaselli
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    I have wide feet and I wear Altra's. I really like the way they feel and the fact that they are zero-drop and/or minimal drop. The brand has both minimal-sole shoes and very thick, almost-Hoka-like, soled shoes.

@tufel‌ Did you find your Altra's locally or did you order them online? I'm in the Sac area also and would love to try them on in person because I've heard they run super small. Otherwise it will be back and forth with Amazon until I get the size right.