plateau

Options
So for the 3rd week in a row, I've held steady at my current weight. I'm so frustrated. I'm counting calories like a maniac, working out 3x a week for no less than an hour, I walk 2-3 miles 5 days a week in addition to workouts, and I eat so much fruit and veggies I wonder what normal people eat. SO WHY THE HECK AM I STUCK HERE?! I don't see me hitting my goal by easter, which is 15 vs the 20 lbs goal. :-(

Replies

• viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    change it up. if you're sure you're being accurate and not going over, then maybe you just need a day to eat some total nonsense and throw off your system a bit.
  • walking_woman
    walking_woman Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am raising my hand on the plateau issue. For myself I am attempting to look at non scale victories/ differnces

I do feel a lot better
    I am moving more
    I am in the habit of logging
    I am drinking more water

The scale has not moved

This week I am focusing on more sleep and weighing and measuring food to ensure what I track is what I believe I have tracked.

All this good will result in movement on the scale I trust.
  • kayjosh2422
    kayjosh2422 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I am right there with all of you. Ignore the scale and celebrate the other victories like Walking woman said. You will get through it, just keep doing what your doing. Don't give up!!
  • lindadprice
    lindadprice Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I wasn't losing weight for 2 weeks. My goal was to do 1 or 1.5 a week. I adjusted my calories to 1200 and eating back lost calories from exercise. I lost three pounds this week. I was working out like crazy. I did 7 hours last week and no weight loss. Maybe changing up your exercise routine will help. I felling the ice a couple of weeks ago and I had to stop for a week and than change up my routine for my painful lower back. I still lift weights and do a work out dvd with some form or cardio or do the bike.
    Definitely don't give up. I bet next week you will have weight loss. I almost quit the group I was embarrassed that I gained a pound and kept it for two weeks. This is a good support group and motivator.
  • Farmgirlfit85
    Farmgirlfit85 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm staying the course. I know it's slow, I'm just super impatient!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    One of the annoying things about this is that the less you weigh the less calories you burn with exercise! I don't think I have hit a plateau but I have definitely slowed down quite a bit. I have gone to weighing every two weeks instead of once a week because the drops are either nothing or so very little that it's discouraging. I am .5 to .9 pounds per week these days. I have tried weighing everything (bought a better food scale) and doing more cardio than I was before, but it hasn't helped all that much. Closer to my goal the slower it goes, but I guess that's the way of it.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Plateau here as well. You may think that you need to decrease your calories and/or up your activities but what I've found before is if I change my weight loss target from 1lb per week to 0.5lb per week I actually see a loss of 1lb per week again. Somehow that little bit extra seems to maybe increase metabolism or maybe helps me to feel more energised so I burn more calories when I do exercise.
    - so try dropping your weight loss target for a little while.
  • walking_woman
    Options
    yogicarl wrote: »
    Plateau here as well. You may think that you need to decrease your calories and/or up your activities but what I've found before is if I change my weight loss target from 1lb per week to 0.5lb per week I actually see a loss of 1lb per week again. Somehow that little bit extra seems to maybe increase metabolism or maybe helps me to feel more energised so I burn more calories when I do exercise.
    - so try dropping your weight loss target for a little while.

Thanks yogicarl I may give that one a go :)
  • Farmgirlfit85
    Farmgirlfit85 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Good info! Thanks.
  • lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    are you getting enough water? I have found if I can get a full gallon down every other day for a few days it seems to help me get over the plateaus. I wasn't a big water drinker but it worked for me. Now I get at least 8 glasses a day and try to get a full gallon in a few times a week.
  • 2CABetterMe
    2CABetterMe Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks lwdllc as I've hit a plateau and was wondering what was going on. Will focus on getting in more water and my sleep.
  • walking_woman
    Options
    I let the wagon loose for about 36 hours. I am trusting that jolted the plateau and did not do to much damage. Anything to get the scale moving.
  • Mspmpayne
    Mspmpayne Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    change it up. if you're sure you're being accurate and not going over, then maybe you just need a day to eat some total nonsense and throw off your system a bit.

Totally agree!
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I occasionally plateau or even gain a bit of weight. I put on a bit of weight last week, but I'm pretty sure that was because I hammered down coffee and diet soda for an entire day. I had a math test. This week I'm staying on the straight and narrow. Hopefully, I will see some good results on Monday.
  • walking_woman
    Options
    I let the wagon loose for about 36 hours. I am trusting that jolted the plateau and did not do to much damage. Anything to get the scale moving.

I got the scale to move. It went up but it moved. I know alot of that is water. What I ate had a lot of salt. Let's see what next week does :)
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I too am on plateau. I have a desk/sitting job for 12 hrs. a day so it is really hard to get in anymore exercise. Water is not a problem - I drink lots. I stick to my food choices very close because I have food sensitivities that make me ill.

Lots of good ideas here so I will try them and see what the scale does for me. The doctor says I need to lose 15 - 20 pounds yet so I fit into the proper BMI. (I don't like the BMI scale!!!)
  • martacabell
    martacabell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are a few ideas to consider in plateaus, guys. First, if you weren't use to do exercise, maybe you might be gaining muscle!! That's always good news and, muscles weight more than fat, so it drives crazy your scale. It's important to keep record of the measurements of your waist, and so on. Another idea is not to starve ourselves, because our body might enter into starve mode and keep the fat just in case we are in the middle of the desert and we need to survive for weeks. So, better to go little by little.
  • kat03316
    Options
    There are a few ideas to consider in plateaus, guys. First, if you weren't use to do exercise, maybe you might be gaining muscle!! That's always good news and, muscles weight more than fat, so it drives crazy your scale. It's important to keep record of the measurements of your waist, and so on. Another idea is not to starve ourselves, because our body might enter into starve mode and keep the fat just in case we are in the middle of the desert and we need to survive for weeks. So, better to go little by little.

Nutrition nutrition nutrition. Fiber and lots of water. Lots of protein and good fats that is what has helped me stop dropping weight again
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

Hi Martacabell,

It is actually very hard to build muscle (especially in a caloric deficit) so unless someone is brand new to lifting, it is unlikely.

Starvation mode is actually a myth. An overweight person (or even a normal-weight person, see the Minnesota Starvation Experiment) is unlikely to keep fat as described.

As for the OP (and everyone else in a stall), I feel you. My scale hasn't moved in almost two weeks and I don't even want to open the spreadsheet. I've been eating half my exercise calories and I'm thinking I might start eating only a quarter.
  • walking_woman
    Options
    Mixing it up did it. I gained a few pounds last week and then just dropped 3.6. My system needed the change. I am trusting to keep this moving. :)