Looking for a bike...any recommendations?

SkinnyDevi
SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
im looking for a bike that is safe and comfortable for larger folks. Anyone have a favorite or even a suggestion?

Thanks.
Devi

Replies

• hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    edited February 2015
    I've been riding Trek hybrid's for several years, even at my heaviest. I've had both the 1 and 2 WSD (woman's fit), the 2 having more gears which came in handy when my fitness improved and I started biking over our local causeway. I live in Florida and it is otherwise pretty flat so gearing wasn't initially a big issue. They run around $400-$500, which is the lower end for a good bike it seems.

One of the things you're going to have to watch out for are the pedals, despite assurances from the bike shop owner I killed one of them pedal arms within a few weeks on my first bike (from weight), and had it replaced in warranty with a more sturdy arm that I never had anymore trouble with. But otherwise the frame is sturdy enough with no problems.

With more weight you will have more pressure on the back tire, so be prepared for more flats and consider investing in double walled tires and stronger spokes, but my standard ones are fine.

The stock seat you get with just about any seat will suck, but seat preference is very individual and be prepared to go to several to find a good fit. Bigger and cushier is not always better, I found success with fairly hard narrow seat that fit my sit bones, though since my weight loss I've gone to another seat. And padded bike pants/shorts are your best friend, even for casual rides. Aerotech Designs carries up to 5/6X is many products at reasonable prices.

Biking has become a big method of transportation for me, so I probably spend more money on bike maintenance than my car. But I drive my bikes more often so it all works out :smile:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/city/recreation/verve/

Any questions feel free to message me! I love biking!
  • rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Ok so since I have ridden a bike since I was 10 lol. I agree a good Trek Hybrid would be perfect Make sure you go to a reputable bike shop not some place that wont Guarantee their bikes or their work. If they are good they will fit you for the bike. Make sure you get a good helmet and well.. there is so much for such little time. Ask around town where you live who is the better bike shop. Anything I would tell you they will make sure your happy. and they should give you free tune ups for life!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    One of my customers is Terra Trike, they make and sell recumbent bikes. For me, with my back issues, this is the bike I'm saving for. Regular bikes cause me back pain having to bend or lean forward for the handlebars. I've tried several different styles and they all do it, so I'm going to get a rebumbent bike when I can afford it.
  • rscpjim
    I have never ridden one of those other than at the gym. I do like them...lol
    I went to the bike shop for a tune up and there is now and extender they can add to handle bars that eleminate that issue with the back., My bike shop ower slash real bike Guru told me when I brought the bike in. I said ok Ill try it what the heck its only money..lol
    Well after riding last week and today I am convinced this little add one will save my back my hands and elbow joints..
    And the weather if it cooperates...lol Had a 20MPH head wind this morning. That sucked!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    My significant other owns 2 recumbent bikes, and gave me his old one. I love it! It is so much more comfortable than traditional bikes. No stress on the wrists, shoulders or back. Lots of work done by your thighs and legs. I know they can be more expensive but I think in the long run they are well worth it.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    I have had a trek hybrid for years and I love it. I have a step through so easy to get on it. The seat is comfy too. Mine is similar to this one. http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/collections/womens/city/recreation/verve/
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Go to a bike shop and try some out. They all feel different - I had a Trek when I was 300 pounds but I picked up a different seat. Very customizable.
  • Living4me123
    Living4me123 Posts: 52 Member
    I have a Trek hybrid as well and love it! I recently bought a Trek road bike and cannot wait to ride it once the weather breaks. I agree, go to a reputable bike shop. They will fit you for the size of frame you need and also adjust the seat height which is important. In my area we have The Bike Doctor, which is where I bought both of my bikes, they offer free maintaince for life if you buy your bike there. Good luck! Biking is awesome!
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    I have a Giant comfort bike. The Cypress model. It was not real expensive and is an "upright" bike....I enjoy riding it very much. Like others have said here...go to a big time bike shop after reading their on-line reviews...they will help you choose the right bike for your needs. Take good care of it and it will last you for years.
  • SkinnyDevi
    SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
    Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions. I've begun my research into local bike shops since there are many in my local area. I guess there is a part of me that is anxious to go in because of my weight and because I haven't ridden a bike in a long time.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    I am looking forward to the spring so that I can get back on my bike. I've had it for 20 years and have ridden it 5 or 6 times in the last 10. We'll see if the old adage is correct!

Rob
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    SkinnyDevi wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions. I've begun my research into local bike shops since there are many in my local area. I guess there is a part of me that is anxious to go in because of my weight and because I haven't ridden a bike in a long time.

Don't let your appearance intimate you, start living the new lifestyle today. Your body will catch up later.

Randy
  • CleatusJones
    CleatusJones Posts: 1 Member
    I have a Electra Townie, with flatfoot crank forward tech. It is really solid and comfortable.
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Don't be intimidated! When I first started I couldn't bike the half mile to work. It took me a couple of years before I felt comfortable enough to ride with other people.

I rocked my bright spandex even at almost 400lbs. One of my best memories is having someone at a stoplight tell me how awesome I was to be riding in my non bike friendly town. They far outweigh the wonderful people who chuck cigarettes and fireworks at me.
  • rscpjim
    Yeh I couldn't ride down the driveway and back at first. Lol. Back up to 15 miles and soon back to my 40 a day I hope. If my tush can take it my legs are ready to go.
  • itsdreday
    itsdreday Posts: 60 Member
    Thanks for all the advice peeps, I'm looking to pick up a bike for spring and these suggestions are awesome