Virtual 5k Dates

Options
kayjosh2422
kayjosh2422 Posts: 864 Member
Our first virtual 5k was in January, here are the dates of the next three. If you did not do the Jan. one, please don't let that stop you from joining us for the others. Walk, run, crawl, snowshoe..lol inside, outside or treadmill. Just join us. These take place over the weekend, so you can do it on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. It's all about what works for you.

Feb. 20 - 22
March 20 - 22
April 3-5

yes, I know the April one is over Easter weekend, so this may not be one for you. But if this is something you want to keep doing I will continue it in my next Challenge of Drop 20 by Mid July.

Replies

• Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    How does it work? 5k in a day? Each day or once? I am interested. I am not running but can walk it :smiley:
  • walking_woman
    walking_woman Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Emi1974 wrote: »
    How does it work? 5k in a day? Each day or once? I am interested. I am not running but can walk it :smiley:

It is 5k in one walk/run/treadmill/eliptical etc... on one day. I did the last one and it was fun. Took a look at google maps, created a route and set off. Basically, after you finish you report in on how long it took you. It is not a race against anyone it is a bearing on how the little bits we do each day support us. It is more of a personal gage of your progress.

You can do it anytime over that time period.

Join in :)
  • Emi1974
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am in :) This weekend works well. I will report back
  • Arbelina
    Arbelina Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    hej, both weekends look fine to me - 5k while looking for or hiding Easter eggs ;)
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I don't use a running app (I realize I could do it with google maps), so last time I used Wii Fit and ran it in less than 20 minutes.

And that's the story of how I learned Wii Fit lies.
  • AmandaStrickland1
    AmandaStrickland1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I may or may not be able to do mine this month because I have painful shin splints. I actually don't even know what to do for them. I'm thinking maybe just taking it easy on the treadmill and focus more on my circuit training.
  • walking_woman
    Options
    I may or may not be able to do mine this month because I have painful shin splints. I actually don't even know what to do for them. I'm thinking maybe just taking it easy on the treadmill and focus more on my circuit training.

Take care of those shin aplints. Make sure you have good shoes and do very low impact if you do anything. Keep safe
  • AmandaStrickland1
    AmandaStrickland1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I sure will, thank you!
  • Emi1974
    Options
    Happy to report that last night 20 Feb, I went on Google maps and set a route of 5 km and later in the evening my daughter and I went and walked it in 58 minutes.
    How are you guys going?
  • bahbedwire
    bahbedwire Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'll join for this Sunday, as I'm doing the Colour Run anyways. 8D
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    Raining here today, I hope tomorrow will be rain free.
  • walking_woman
    Options
    Happy to report that last night 20 Feb, I went on Google maps and set a route of 5 km and later in the evening my daughter and I went and walked it in 58 minutes.
    How are you guys going?

Great going Emi. Today is snow day. We are expecting about 5 inches. So tomorrow will be walk day. That gives the city a day to plough the sidewalks so that I can get out and move it :)
  • Emi1974
    Options
    Kim, I wanted to write it must be hard to walk in winter, but I remembered that when I lived in Germany I used to go for 5 km walks regularly.
    Wasn't working back then and had more time. I wasn't sure of the distance, never looked it up back then, but I went on geodistance.com today and it is 5.4 km.

It was great because often it was snowing and loved getting home and jumping into the hot shower.
    Half my route was out of the city and I often felt like I was the only person on earth. Very quiet.

• walking_woman
    Options
    Kim, I wanted to write it must be hard to walk in winter, but I remembered that when I lived in Germany I used to go for 5 km walks regularly.
    Wasn't working back then and had more time. I wasn't sure of the distance, never looked it up back then, but I went on geodistance.com today and it is 5.4 km.

It was great because often it was snowing and loved getting home and jumping into the hot shower.
    Half my route was out of the city and I often felt like I was the only person on earth. Very quiet.

I love walking in the fresh snow when there is no traffic. Like you said it is like you are the only one in the world. Nice and quiet. I do walk a bit at night when there is less traffic. So quiet :)

I did get out for a bit, close to 2km and will go out again so I get my 10.5k in. The weather is not that bad out there right now. We are expecting another arctic chill come tomorrow night so I have to get my walking in early :)
  • evolution328
    evolution328 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm in
  • walking_woman
    Options
    Went for a walk this morning intending to do the 5k. Well, no excuses :) ... just facts. The snow was 2 inches deep, the sidewalks were not ploughed but the snow plough had placed the snow that was on the road onto the sidewalks. So i abandoned the route that I had taken the last time. Sought sanctuary in parking lots and side streets, they were ploughed and less traffic so I could walk on the road in most places.

I did do 3.64km. It took me 56 minutes :) that in itself was good time all things considering. :) I felt like Nanuk of the Tundra searching for the igloo. :smiley:

I usually walk at 5K an hour. Doing the 5K today would have taken me 2 hours. I was a ball of sweat once I reached the comfort and safety of my home.

My heart rate was way up there in the peak zone for too long. So I am very glad I did come home :)

I did get in 5806 steps ... So I am very happy with my accomplishment. I will be going out later in the day circling the neighbourhood for a walk. Seems like this little hamlet is the only place that has the roads in a walkable state :)

I trust everyone has a great walk this weekend. I know I did :)
  • Arbelina
    Arbelina Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    no ice on my running road any more, feels like spring here, just great :) Dog and I did the 5k in 30:26, that's 2:30 faster than four weeks ago, yeah!!

Go, runners & walkers, go!!!! :)
  • evolution328
    evolution328 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've been doing mine on a treadmill, too much snow outside this time of year. Yesterday I ran a 5k in 36:32, down from 43:56 in Jan. I'm happy with the improvement. I think I might sign up for a real 5k this spring, could be fun :)
  • Emi1974
    Options
    Well done everybody :)
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    Jan. 50:28
    Feb. 39: 33
    Not bad considering I have not jogged or run for weeks!