Lifting shoes

Options
Howbouto
Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
I am in the market to buy some lifting shoes. And to be honest I know zero about them. Are they like runners and I need to buy them bigger than my dress shoes? Any suggestions on brand? I have noticed that their are a wide range of prices, are the more expensive ones worth it or I am I paying for a name?

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You want them to be fairly tight, so don't buy large. If it's possible to go somewhere and try a pair on, I'd advise it. I found a Reebok store and tried on their lifters and they were far too tight for my wide feet, which made me look for brands that came with wide feet. I ended up with Inov-8 lifters and really like them.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Lifting shoes are not like runners, they have a solid sole that elevates your heel (making it easier to get depth in the squat). I’d advise against using them for deadlifts.

I have some adidas powerlift trainer 2 weightlifting shoes. I agree with bostonwolf that the shoes should fit snug. I paid $128 for mine, and since I only wear them for squatting and some OLY lifts I expect they’ll last a long time.

• gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I ordered 3 styles and sizes online (Adidas and Inov-8) to try on. I ended up keeping the Inov-8's and love them. I got them on a rare sale.

I am pretty sure Reebok had a deal yesterday where you can get a pair of nanos + lifters for like $150 which is a really great deal... I've never worn Reebok's but they are really popular! They have sales periodically so if you think you might want Reebok's watch for sales!
  • katikindschuh
    katikindschuh Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I first ordered lifters when I was a few months into CrossFit - they were the addidas powerlifter brand. They fit awesome, were super comfy and got the job done. I recently upgraded to the Pendlay lifters; they are a more expensive normally, but I bought them when they were on sale and had free shipping so that helped. Personally, if you spend more on lifters, they will last you longer and will be a better bang for your buck. If you aren't going to use them a lot (like oly lifting every day or close to it) I would opt for a cheaper pair. Just my opinion..
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have 2 pairs of the Reebok Lifters and like them for Crossfit. I wear my normal shoe size. I have a medium to slightly wide foot. If I were to want a shoe that I never used for anything but olympic lifting, I would get the higher end Adipowers (they are about $200). Or if you have a wide toe box, then get the Nike Romaleos. I've never known anyone with the Inov-8s but they sure are attractive.

Re squat shoes: Depends on your squat stance. I do my powerlifting in my Chucks and my olympic lifting in my lifters. Regarding deadlifts, use flat shoes or you're making it unnecessarily harder.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    ^mine are neon yellow. I wouldn't call them attractive, but they were the only color available in my size in EE. They're kind of like my trademark at the gym now, so they have that going for them.
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have the Reebok Lifter Plus 2.0 and they are the first pair of lifters I have ever worn/owned. I had to go up about a 1/2 size from my usual sneaker size so I have a men's 8.5 (I have giant feet). They definitely provide more stability for my heavier lifts and I am definitely glad that I got them. Though I try to wear my Nanos during workouts that have lighter Olympic lifts built in so that I don't rely on my lifters too much.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I use my Nanos' for everything now. I used to have Inov8's but found them really flat and terrible for running. I love my nano's, especially as I don't have to change shoes depending on what we're doing.
  • motherofdragons84
    motherofdragons84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have the Women's Inov-8 FastLift 335 shoes and I love them.

Do you have a box store where you can get fitted? The general rule of thumb is that you go up two sizes because they do run small. I wear a size 7.5 shoe and bought a size 9 in a lifter. I have really skinny feet so the Inov-8's work well.

I believe that Reebok listers run wider.

You want to have a pretty snug fit with room for your foot to spread out as you lift. They were a great purchase and I could tell the difference on my squat the first time I wore them.
  • Howbouto
    Options
    Thanks all! I have size 11 skiis, I mean feet, so I may have to go with men's if they run small.
  • Mummyadams
    Options
    Romaleos Lifting shoes - has anyone heard of them / used them?
    My coach recommends but don't know much about them except they are getting good reviews.
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have huge feet too, Howbouto.

I'm a size 11 in sneakers and a 10.5 in dress shoes. Reebok doesn't even make women's lifters in my size. I ended up with the Reekbok Lifter Plus 2.0 in a men's 8.5. I never had lifters before so I don't have much to compare them to, but I do like them and the added stability that they provide. The lifters are supposed to be very tight so your feet can't move around in them.

A lot of the elite athletes in my box like the Adidas Adipower ones as well as the Nike Romaleos. I think if you have narrow feet, the Adipowers are better and the Nike's are best for wider feet.
  • leahkite
    leahkite Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just wore a pair of Romaleos tonight while working on OH squats. Seriously, night and day difference. I will be getting a pair ASAP.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I had a dream about my lifting shoes. I was doing Fran and the coach wanted me to change shoes between the thrusters and pull ups.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    ^ Yeah. Best to wear your pull-up shoes. lol
  • Howbouto
    Options
    Ok so, I got a $100.00 amazon card through work. I ordered the Women's Inov-8 FastLift. I talked to the lifting coach and she recommend those or the Adipower for me. They were cheaper and better looking. Hopefully, they fit, if not there is alway Amazon returns. Thanks for the info.
  • Klhernandez81
    Klhernandez81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I have been debating lifting shoes, in the spirit of; if I can't do au' natural (flat footed) then what is the point. I just read the comment on OH Squats and am sold. Thanks!
  • Mummyadams
    Options
    I ended up buying Reebok Lifter 2's because they were on special. Great for Oly lifting class but would never attempt to run/box jump etc in them.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Howbouto wrote: »
    Ok so, I got a $100.00 amazon card through work. I ordered the Women's Inov-8 FastLift. I talked to the lifting coach and she recommend those or the Adipower for me. They were cheaper and better looking. Hopefully, they fit, if not there is alway Amazon returns. Thanks for the info.

That's what I have. Great shoes.