returning to mfp after a stint away!

Options
karentalty
karentalty Posts: 52 Member
Hello! I used to log daily and lost some weight but with a change in job I felt I couldn't commit the time to mfp. Then I realised I wasn't losing any weight! Shocking right?! I'm looking for tips to be able to keep up with mfp without it taking over my very limited spare time. I've ordered an activity tracker that will sync with this app so I won't need to manually input things each day.

Any suggestions welcome!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    For me logging is like doing the cleaning and paying my council tax.... It's important so I do it!

Plus I've got some really good pals so I enjoy spending time on here!
  • jamessteelapim
    jamessteelapim Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree, some of us have the time, some do not. How about a weekly meal plan using MFP to compile. I have a comprehensive cardio workout programme in Exel and divide the total calorie burn for the week into 7, and input that for the next week. Why not do the same for a using a meal plan.
  • karentalty
    karentalty Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Good tips! Thanks! I hope when I get back into the swing of it I will be motivated to log by seeing other people doing it! The excel sheet sounds good too!
  • jenwardy
    jenwardy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Enter common things you eat together as recipes so that you can quickly add them into your diary. I might take a little time to set them up but after that its much quicker
  • TishTash1616
    TishTash1616 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Personally, I tend to plan my meals in advance, logging them before I've even eaten. I find it helps me to stick to my calories better. I also leave 100-200 calories spare just in case I want to eat something I haven't planned for :)
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    For me logging is like doing the cleaning and paying my council tax.... It's important so I do it!

Spot on for me this ^^^^

Sorry to be a Yorkshireman....(say it as I see it) but.......

If you really are at a stage in life where you really want to lose the weight and you find that MFP helps (for me it is the only thing that has helped me lose weight) then you will find the time to log, CICO is the sole purpose of MFP so you must log, and log accurately then you understand what you are eating and how it affect your weight etc.....

Most people think they lead a very busy life with no time for anything, but if you truly analyse your day I am sure you can find 10 mins to be able to do this one important thing for yourself.....( please accept my apologies if you are a one of the few out there that genuinely works 18hr days working maybe 3 jobs to support 5 kids, or as a carer for anyone with life difficulties...)

But not knowing the sort of person you are / life you lead then I can suggest some times to help get you logging.....Don't hit the snooze button in a morning and log in that 9 mins, or get up 10 mins early, log instead of watching your daily dose of Eastenders or mastermind or what ever it is floats your boat TV wise, if possible, come back from your lunch break at work 10 mins early and log then, ask someone else to help with a certain part of meals, to free your time to log, set a rota in the house for chores, again freeing up your time to log, if you have a dog, let him go out in your garden for one of his usual daily walks while you log....I think you get my point, there are hundreds of ways to make that 10 minutes if it is really important to you.

If you eat the same things day in day out maybe it can be done easier, but if not then weighing your food and logging accurately is the only way to keep yourself honest, and hopefully then on track.....

My only tip if you really do not have 10 minutes a day spare time is to plan meals using MFP, get a cook book together of calories (get this from anywhere, not just MFP, but you need the Calorie info at least) and plan meals for the week from the book, but you must stick to the recipe and daily plan or you will be under / over eating calories.....you know what MFP says to eat for the day, so the only way to see if it works is to stick to the plan set......but there will come a time when you do need to put some time into this to make the menus, cook the new types of food maybe or to swat up so you understand what your doing.....

This is how my head works, I do understand not everyone is as committed as others, but I do believe you must focus 100% on any task especially ones of this importance as it can make things worse if you change eating plans / adding exercise if you do not understand what / how that is affecting you.
    Sorry if this comes over as blunt, I do not mean to be rude with this, it is just the way I see this journey.....

Hope you can manage to find the time or our own way round things, if you do come on full time please feel free to add me I will be here ready to help if I can....

Good luck

• Jo_2017
    Jo_2017 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Lots of Great advice in there, Jon, but even my northern sensibilities could find bits of it a bit harsh! I hope you're able take the advice, Karen, good luck!